Ashley P

When your kid "gets it"

3 posts in this topic

So my oldest son (Ross, 11) was asking 20 questions about drag racing.  It started as a "who would win" involving some Hot Wheels cars and my old cars.  I pointed out how that "new" Mustang with tires and headers (nod to Matt) would beat my fastest (TransAm) car.   He asked what kind of cars raced at the local 1/8 mile, and I immediately thought bracket racers...how do I explain that.  So I talked about field day (he likes to foot race) and asked why they were divided into age and gender...I explained how if all 300 students ran together there'd probably be a boy 17 or 18 that won, and a few of his class to place, much further down the list they're be some girls, and if you raced again 30 minutes later they outcome would be very, very similar.  And, very few of the losers would want to race after the first time.

I said racing started out like everybody racing, but then classing grouped cars.  Then the most money bought the best parts, and so big money won races and most people couldn't compete.  So, "bracket" racing was started.  I explained the starting/timing "beams" and how the start bulbs are 1/2 second, and since the driver writes his time on the window the starter can give the exact head start to the slower car, so if the starter gave a 1.5 second head start to my 9.0 second GTO when racing my (rounded down) 7.5 second Trans am...they'd tie at the finish line IF both drivers had a perfect RT.  He understood and thought that was a great way to do things...then I added "and if you go faster than you said (lower time), then you're disqualified.  You might get to the finish line first, but you'd lose, 'cause it would be like you lied about your time."

His jaw dropped and he was speechless, but his look of THAT'S THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD! told me he's gonna be all right.  :):)

Tino, Disney and 66sprint6 like this

HA!  Luke's gonna think its funny when I tell him that every time I ever joined in a Bracket program, I would dial in a tad quicker than I was going that day and then TRY to break out.  Usually a breakout means a new PB and since times are more important than going rounds in a program where outfoxing is better than outrunning the guy next to you.  Usually by the time the program starts Im at by best and the car has had a moment to cool down so its glory pass time.  I used to wait till after the program to get the glory pass but it gets late quick.  Luckily lately Ive had some decent runs earlier in the evening and have been able to head home early with a decent slip in hand!

Matt

Ashley P likes this

I've never done anything but T&T nights.  I wanted to actually try a bracket "race", but back then I had quiet exhaust and no tach, not the recipe for consistency with a 4 speed.  lol