Ashley P

Airplane stuff

34 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Disney said:

I watched the P51 while working. I wanted to hear why the engine was cutting out and never caught it.

I think they said that was yet to be determined.  Too bad it happened at such low altitude or he might have had time to diagnose and limp it in (or just glide in if he was that near the airport).

Lots of guns/bullets.  Torque gauges caught my eye near the 4:00 mark....gotta get one for the Poncho.

Tino likes this

Been checking it out all day...the voice recordings make you wish the dude woulda been willing to come down safe, seemed like a super cool guy.  Hell of a show and noone else was hurt so all is well I guess but sucks that he felt the need to end things.

One of the pilots whos words are in blue (Capt Bill) was in the scrambled fighter that was with him.  There is recording of him talkin with the base about him performing the roll and how close he got to the water.  You could tell he was hoping to help the guy down too and was bummed to radio in the crash.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Posted (edited)

Seems a bit inebriated to me and just goes to show, it isn't that hard to fly an airplane.

Edited by Cannon Fodder

^ I've never been in a cockpit, so I'm totally armchairing here, but I see both sides of it.  Sure there's only altitude to worry about, but it takes a lot of variables put together to get (and keep) that altitude.  There's plenty of youtube vids on how to start X plane, I've watched p47, p51, and dc3 vids before.  Give it some flaps and takeoff power and when it gets light ease it off the ground.  Right?  lol

REally, the hardest part of flying a plane is getting it started. Then taking off is easy, maintaining altitude is easy. Landing... That takes some skill. I started flying when I was 13. I need to pick it back up and finish my private license. 

Posted (edited)

Skip to 1:21 for the punch line.  (And you dragracers know who owns Kalitta air, right?) 

Edited by Ashley P