dr.art

Tires !

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

tell me about your tires

when I picked up my 14 GT mustang it had New tires

they suck and are cheap, loud and most likely just hold air Firestone Firehawk AS radials

they are generally know as putting combat boots on a gymnast so far as grip and handling

was thinking about Continentals as a replacement

not a drag or autocross car

just very good tires that are NOT loud and handle nice.

thanks  

Edited by dr.art

The Continentals Contitrac DWS06's are GREAT out of the hole compared to Perelli P Zero's.

But the P Zero's handled much better in the turns.

The Continentals Contitrac DWS06's make the SS feel wobbly at high speed in tight turns by comparison.

So that's all I can add. P Zero's for twisties or Continentals for drag.

I replaced the factory GT PP tires with Continental Contitrac DWS06's.  Could have spent a little more on DW's and got a sportier tire but I wanted a solid all season as I DD the car.  I love em.  My rears are now past the wear bars and the D W and S have dissappeared from the tread and its still nice and stable with enough traction to get around without fear.  I will be replacing the rears here soon with another set.  I dont notice nearly as big of a difference as JohnC in cornering ability from what was on there before but each platform is different.  

Matt

I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on the V.  They hook surprisingly well when unless it's cold out.  And for the minimal amount of tread, they do well in the rain.  I drove 3 hours in a heavy downpour at 70mph and never had too much issue.  The downside is they are expensive and don't last long.

Next time I'm trying continentals.

66sprint6 likes this

I like the Continentals too because they 1) dont get as hard in the cold so they ride nice year round and 2) dont lose near as much grip in the cold!  

Matt

JohnC likes this

38 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

I replaced the factory GT PP tires with Continental Contitrac DWS06's.  Could have spent a little more on DW's and got a sportier tire but I wanted a solid all season as I DD the car.  I love em.  My rears are now past the wear bars and the D W and S have dissappeared from the tread and its still nice and stable with enough traction to get around without fear.  I will be replacing the rears here soon with another set.  I dont notice nearly as big of a difference as JohnC in cornering ability from what was on there before but each platform is different.  

Matt

Trust me, the Contitrac DWS06's do not handle corners as well as P Zero's.

I think it must be that the P Zero is a harder compound rubber and stiffer sidewall. It always took the P Zero's longer to heat up and get sticky from parked. P Zero's rode like they had flat spots in extreme cold until heated up from driving a bit. The Contitrac DWS06's always left the parking lot more smooth and are more sticky in acceleration grip before they got some heat.

66sprint6 likes this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Trust me, the Contitrac DWS06's do not handle corners as well as P Zero's.

I think it must be that the P Zero is a harder compound rubber and stiffer sidewall. It always took the P Zero's longer to heat up and get sticky from parked. P Zero's rode like they had flat spots in extreme cold until heated up from driving a bit. The Contitrac DWS06's always left the parking lot more smooth and are more sticky in acceleration grip before they got some heat.

Oh yeah thats  a no brainer Im just saying on the GT I dont notice it that much.  It IS an all season so its gonna have sacrifices but its one hell of an all season from what Ive experienced!  Cant complain at least.

Matt

Posted (edited)

Solved my problem today

Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on GT 500 wheels

Better,Wider, Looks better

285's in the rear and 255's on the frontimage.jpeg

the black wheels are going on the wife's black 13 convertimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegible 

Edited by dr.art
66sprint6 likes this

Posted (edited)

Perhaps the best part of this is that my wife's 13 needed tires in a bad way.

now she has 4 like newish tires and upgraded wheels.

the black wheels I never did like on the white car.

kind of makes her plain jane v6 convertible look a little kind of a bad ass.

image.jpeg

Edited by dr.art
Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

On 5/3/2018 at 3:46 PM, dr.art said:

car is sooo much better with the wheel and tire change

IMG_0476.JPG

Car looks great! :up: