JohnC

Camaro SS 6L80 Trans Tuning

Rate this topic:

42 posts in this topic

Believe me, I've been biting my tongue...only because I know how much of an aggravation he's facing after my 4L60e shift woes.  (If it weren't for that I'd be showing in car vids of the SAM camaro going 8s with a NA LA and manual trans.  )

Would the TCM use some calculation of engine load (vs. only TPS) in order to adjust "line pressure" and thus shift "firmness"?

There are a couple tables for that, oncoming pressure preset being the one that makes the most difference. That’s why I asked him what his current values are. I’m sure he’s not even halfway to the max values yet. I’ve tuned a couple 6l80’s and never had a flare issue, but they were all done in person.

@johnc you are going in the scanner and under special functions resetting the transmission adaptives and presets after every change right?

3 hours ago, gammey4 said:

@johnc you are going in the scanner and under special functions resetting the transmission adaptives and presets after every change right?

Yes. Always. :up: 

gammey4 likes this

15 minutes ago, Disney said:

JohnC, also check trans fluid again. I had to fill it more than once. I wonder if it didn't go down again and that might cause a flare.

Will do. Someone makes a dip stick for it. I might just order one to make it easier. 

66sprint6, Ashley P and Disney like this

So @gammey4

What do you think caused the dip in the dyno graph? TQ management, knock pulling timing, flare/slip, etc?

IMG_3312 (Edited).JPG

Looks like he let off around 6,300 rpm's too. Not sure why he did that because I told him the cam was good to 6,800 rpm's. Most take it at least to 6,600 rpm's.

Hell, power climbs to 6,600 and flattens out to 6,800.... See flywheel dyno graph...

TSP_VVT3.2_Cam.jpg

Comparing those charts, not revving all the way to the max cam power curve, he definitely shorted me on the dyno run. But then again, he might of seen the power curve dipping out and aborted the run early. :shrug: 

So @gammey4

What do you think caused the dip in the dyno graph? TQ management, knock pulling timing, flare/slip, etc?

IMG_3312 (Edited).JPG

Looks like he let off around 6,300 rpm's too. Not sure why he did that because I told him the cam was good to 6,800 rpm's. Most take it at least to 6,600 rpm's.

Hell, power climbs to 6,600 and flattens out to 6,800.... See flywheel dyno graph...

TSP_VVT3.2_Cam.jpg

Comparing those charts, not revving all the way to the max cam power curve, he definitely shorted me on the dyno run. But then again, he might of seen the power curve dipping out and aborted the run early. :shrug: 

I didn’t get to see your log of the dyno runs but judging by your 1/4 logs it was kr. There are quite a few things I want to look at on your tune.

JohnC likes this

Your pulls baffled me a bit.  All 3 have the same curve, pull hard to 5600ish (where your peak power was made) and then dip and start climbing again then start to dip where he then let out.  Ide like to see what caused it to dip like that and not pull hard to 6800+ like the other graph.  I get that engine Dyno will read different than chassis etc but still, surely it should still pull harder to higher rpm without dipping like that.  Your mph is also a tad low like we talked about before...maybe Gammey or someone can sort out the upper rpm issues and your already solid track times will get better for it!!!

Matt

Tino likes this

Ive never weighed mine but from what Ive seen, a base model Performance Pack car weighs 3736 lbs.  The Camaro is probably quite a bit more hefty.

We dont need to bench race this out but we can since we havnt got the chance to run in real life.

Mod for mod I was quite a bit faster.

His mods now vs my mods now, he has a faster time slip than me in the 1/8th 7.7 vs my 7.8 and muuuuuuch better 60's

If I put a tire on my car, I have no excuse to not blow past him again.

If he puts a tire on his car...THATS where we can bench race and it would likely come down to ME.  Me as a driver.  He cuts super nice lights and will be wicked consistent where I tend to sleep on the lights focusing more on getting a decent launch than cutting the guy next to me's head off.  I also have a tendency to let someone who trees me get in my head and blow a run.  Probably wont be as big of a deal on a good tire.  Im a good 1 to 2 mph faster than him as it sits in the 1/8 but have no idea how that number would be in a 1/4 tho I know Coyote cars back half nicely.

If he finds that something (tune or whatever) truly is holding him back power wise, hes gonna be a monster and I wont stand a chance!  He ran a similarly modded SS that went 120mph to his 116.  If he finds those missin horseponies and gains that mph...hes gonna be bookin and I will likely have the best seats in the house :lol:

I hope he gets his trans tune sorted quick so he can join us at the Hill when we go.  I also hope that we can work out a weekend to go to Beech Bend.  I really wanna see what this sucker can do in the 1/4 for sure!

Matt

What do the Camaro and Mustang weigh?

Mine weighed 4,040 lbs with 3/4 tank of fuel and me in the drivers seat on the scale at Beech Bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashley P likes this