JohnC

Camaro SS 6L80 Trans Tuning

Rate this topic:

42 posts in this topic

@gammey4

So I want to get this trans shifting at the right rpm.

I set my max redline to 6,800.

My WOT shift rpm is at 6,300.

I raised my WOT shift mph by 2 for all upshifts (1>2, 2>3, 3>4).

What else do i need to try?

Will get a log today on the way to work to see how the changes effect it.

I can help you out Saturday after work. I’m at work right now so I can’t see your tune and don’t remember every table off the top of my head.

JohnC likes this

I'm getting closer....

Changed my max shift rpm's per TSP recommendations for my cam to 6,600.

Then I discovered my trans is shifting off WOT MPH.

So I set it up to shift at the exact mph that 6,600 rpm's is at in gears 1-4.

But the shifts flare or slips a little and keeps causing it to over rev and bounce off the rev limiter. I seen it shifting where I wanted but during the shift I get 3+ mph and end up reving to 6,800 (that's the max engine RPM just for now while I tune shifts).

So based on that, I'm backing down my MPH WOT shifts until it stops over reving and i get clean upshifts by 6,600.

@gammey4 if you know how to get it to shift exactly at 6,600 at the correct mph, let me know how. Because backing down mph is actually keeping me from shifting at the peak recommended by TSP.

I'm getting closer....

Changed my max shift rpm's per TSP recommendations for my cam to 6,600.

Then I discovered my trans is shifting off WOT MPH.

So I set it up to shift at the exact mph that 6,600 rpm's is at in gears 1-4.

But it the shifts flares or slips a little and keeps causing it to over rev and bounce off the rev limiter. I seen it shifting where I wanted but during the shift I get 3+ mph and end up reving to 6,800 (that's the max engine RPM just for now while I tune shifts).

So based on that, I'm backing down my MPH WOT shifts until it stops over reving and i get clean upshifts by 6,600.

@gammey4 if you know how to get it to shift exactly at 6,600 at the correct mph, let me know how. Because backing down mph is actually keeping me from shifting at the peak recommended by TSP.

What selector mode are you in? And what is your current oncoming pressure preset table at?

9 hours ago, gammey4 said:

What selector mode are you in? And what is your current oncoming pressure preset table at?

Not sure. Where do i find oncoming pressure preset table?

Mostly it's in Pattern B WOT, so sport mode.

Not sure. Where do i find oncoming pressure preset table?

Mostly it's in Pattern B WOT, so sport mode.

Iirc autoshift properties. Add 10% at a time for gears 1-4 until you get the shift you want. I would add 15% initially, should put you pretty close.

JohnC likes this

How do I add % shift time?

Like this:

Use the math function top right.

For example, 10% increase, highlight everything, type in 1.1 and hit X to multiply. 

For 10% decrease, highlight everything, type in .9 and hit X to multiply.

How about doing it this way? Same thing?

For the base shift pressure table, I first change the 0 ft lb column of the 1-2, 2-3 & 3-4 shift table to 0. Then change the 640 ft lb column of the 1-2, 2-3 & 3-4 shift table to 40. Now highlight the whole table & click on the "Interpolate Between Horizontal Bounds"
button. 

Now the shift table will be 0 at the 0 ft lb column & 40 at the 640 ft lb column. Now copy this table & click the "Undo All Changes" button. Then right click on the table, go to Paste Special > Add. This will add 0 psi at the 0 ft lb column of the shift pressure table & 40 psi at the 640 ft lb column. The editor should clamp the max pressure to 96 psi. 

Also change the Max Pressure to 96, as it usually is 90 stock. If you what firmer shifts, use 50 psi at the 640 ft lb column and 30 psi for softer shifts.

I always leave the shift times stock on the 4L60E/4L70E.  https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?58915-4l60e-tuning

How do I add % shift time?

Like this:

Use the math function top right.

For example, 10% increase, highlight everything, type in 1.1 and hit X to multiply. 

For 10% decrease, highlight everything, type in .9 and hit X to multiply.

How about doing it this way? Same thing?

For the base shift pressure table, I first change the 0 ft lb column of the 1-2, 2-3 & 3-4 shift table to 0. Then change the 640 ft lb column of the 1-2, 2-3 & 3-4 shift table to 40. Now highlight the whole table & click on the "Interpolate Between Horizontal Bounds"
button. 

Now the shift table will be 0 at the 0 ft lb column & 40 at the 640 ft lb column. Now copy this table & click the "Undo All Changes" button. Then right click on the table, go to Paste Special > Add. This will add 0 psi at the 0 ft lb column of the shift pressure table & 40 psi at the 640 ft lb column. The editor should clamp the max pressure to 96 psi. 

Also change the Max Pressure to 96, as it usually is 90 stock. If you what firmer shifts, use 50 psi at the 640 ft lb column and 30 psi for softer shifts.

I always leave the shift times stock on the 4L60E/4L70E.  https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?58915-4l60e-tuning

Oncoming pressure preset. Change that and it will shift faster. Why are you looking at a 4l60 guide?

My bad. I was just talking about the math... How to get + 10% added to the tables.

So multiply the whole table by 1.1 gets me + 10%?

My bad. I was just talking about the math... How to get + 10% added to the tables.

So multiply the whole table by 1.1 gets me + 10%?

Yes

I just don't get it. :???:

I backed off MPH on the 1st to 2nd to 33 mph and have the shift rpm's set at 6,600.

I raised up-shift pressure 10%, another 5% and then another 5%.

At 33mph, it starts the shift at 5,823 rpm's (I wanted the shift at 6,600) because I'm trying to keep the up-shifts from over revving and hitting the rev limiter.

But, while it is shifting from 1st in to 2nd, RPM's climb all the way above the 6,800 rpm rev limiter I set (it hit the rev limit and nosed over during the up-shift) and went all the way to 6,866 @ 41 mph.

It's like this damn trans has a mind of its own. :wall:

WTF? :???:

Keep in mind, I made adjustments (lowering shift mph) between a couple of these logs.

run1.hpl

runs234.hpl

run 5.hpl

run6.hpl

run7.hpl

Current tune

Current_Tune_05_08_15_15%_minus2mph_bb.hpt

Scanner Config

ChannelConfig_05_09_18.Channels.xml

runs234.hpl

I just don't get it. :???:

I backed off MPH on the 1st to 2nd to 33 mph and have the shift rpm's set at 6,600.

I raised up-shift pressure 10%, another 5% and then another 5%.

At 33mph, it starts the shift at 5,823 rpm's (I wanted the shift at 6,600) because I'm trying to keep the up-shifts from over revving and hitting the rev limiter.

But, while it is shifting from 1st in to 2nd, RPM's climb all the way above the 6,800 rpm rev limiter I set (it hit the rev limit and nosed over during the up-shift) and went all the way to 6,866 @ 41 mph.

It's like this damn trans has a mind of its own. :wall:

WTF? :???:

Keep in mind, I made adjustments (lowering shift mph) between a couple of these logs.

run1.hpl

runs234.hpl

run 5.hpl

run6.hpl

run7.hpl

Current tune

Current_Tune_05_08_15_15%_minus2mph_bb.hpt

Scanner Config

ChannelConfig_05_09_18.Channels.xml

runs234.hpl

It shifts off mph. It will always use the lower of the two values to shift by, mph or rpm. It will be Saturday before I can look at your tune and see what’s up with it.

JohnC likes this

I get it goes off MPH. :yes:

I can see that shift happen at the exact mph I put in the tune.

But what I don't get is why it takes so long to shift that it over rev's.

Example. Log run7 1st to 2nd upshift:

I command 33mph in the tune and 6,600 rpm's.

The log shows it shifts 1>2 exactly at 33mph. 

At that mph, it is initiating the shift at 5,809 rpm's in the log. (I was trying to keep it off the rev limiter!)

But RPM and MPH keep climbing after the shift is initiated; it hit 6,865 rpm's at 41 mph!

So it went another 1,056 rpm's and 8 mph over what I commanded in the tune. :???:

There has to be something else off in the trans tune for it to be this far off on WOT up-shifts!

I get it goes off MPH. :yes:

I can see that shift happen at the exact mph I put in the tune.

But what I don't get is why it takes so long to shift that it over rev's.

Example. Log run7 1st to 2nd upshift:

I command 33mph in the tune and 6,600 rpm's.

The log shows it shifts 1>2 exactly at 33mph. 

At that mph, it is initiating the shift at 5,809 rpm's in the log. (I was trying to keep it off the rev limiter!)

But RPM and MPH keep climbing after the shift is initiated; it hit 6,865 rpm's at 41 mph!

So it went another 1,056 rpm's and 8 mph over what I commanded in the tune. :???:

There has to be something else off in the trans tune for it to be this far off on WOT up-shifts!

What’s your commanded shift time vs actual? And what value do you have in the oncoming pressure preset table?

Which do you want to compare with the log that shows "Time Of Latest 1-2 Shift = 0.4s:

Auto Shift Properties > Shift Time > Shift Time Transition >

Shift Initial - Normal

Shift Initial - Special

Shift Final - Normal

Shift Final - Special

Which do you want to compare with the log that shows "Time Of Latest 1-2 Shift = 0.4s:

Auto Shift Properties > Shift Time > Shift Time Transition >

Shift Initial - Normal

Shift Initial - Special

Shift Final - Normal

Shift Final - Special

In the scanner, log commanded shift time and actual shift time.

30 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

In the scanner, log commanded shift time and actual shift time.

I didn't see that in my scanner. I might have to re-poll or something. :shrug:

But I'm going to hit the bed for today. Got to work today. :dead:

You may need to get with AshleyP and swap a manual in that thing because this auto shifting BS is for the birds. 

Like Gammey said, it only goes off MPH. So you can't say you commanded shift at xxmph and xxxxrpm because rpm is not factored into the shift timing. Only mph and TPS IIRC. If it's shifting too early, add 1mph until it shifts correctly. 

66sprint6 likes this

1 minute ago, Disney said:

You may need to get with AshleyP and swap a manual in that thing because this auto shifting BS is for the birds. 

Like Gammey said, it only goes off MPH. So you can't say you commanded shift at xxmph and xxxxrpm because rpm is not factored into the shift timing. Only mph and TPS IIRC. If it's shifting too early, add 1mph until it shifts correctly. 

Believe me, I've been biting my tongue...only because I know how much of an aggravation he's facing after my 4L60e shift woes.  (If it weren't for that I'd be showing in car vids of the SAM camaro going 8s with a NA LA and manual trans.  :) )

Would the TCM use some calculation of engine load (vs. only TPS) in order to adjust "line pressure" and thus shift "firmness"?