Ashley P

Welder repair discussion resurrection

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Starting to think about this welder again.  Dumping some old discussion here in one place to help me sort through what I had done.

Edited by Ashley P

On 3/26/2016 at 9:23 PM, Ashley P said:

Hobart Handler 175, won't feed wire. :grumpy:    Had a project all mocked up, tack welded, double checked...then no wire.  Switch at gun works, those wires to circuit board are good.  Some relay intermittently clicks...there are three and I don't know which one (if any) is for the wire motor. (Motor works when given DC voltage.)  SO, not switch, not switch wiring, not motor.  Some problem on the circuit board I suppose...

On 4/3/2016 at 5:50 PM, Ashley P said:

I'm in the same boat with a Hobart Handler 175, made by Miller I think.  What do you have?

On 4/4/2016 at 7:32 PM, gammey4 said:

Yeah that's a Miller made machine. Really easy to fix. I could fix it for you.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:48 PM, gammey4 said:

Check ptc1 on the control board. You can jump the terminals to try and see if it works again. If it does then that is bad. I honestly would check the wire feed speed control knob first.

On 4/4/2016 at 9:04 PM, Ashley P said:

Already jumped ptc1:  no change.:smirk:

Did I read the  schematic right...supposed to be 28v DC on trigger switch?  I had 41....that's not related to the speed control switch, is it?  Schematic is vague about DC power supply.

On 4/4/2016 at 3:50 AM, gammey4 said:

The running at 1/3 speed would indicate that the transistor 555 has more than likely failed.

On 4/4/2016 at 10:24 AM, Ashley P said:

That's kind of what I was guessing...but, still wondering where my 41volts of DC on a 28 volt circuit came from...if 41 volts is wrong and I don't find and fix THAT, then I'll probably/possibly end up with another fried transistor.

On 4/5/2016 at 8:44 PM, Ashley P said:

Voltage across the wires at the trigger was 41.5 dc earlier tonight.  I checked ohms on switch, about 0 ohms slow, about 800 ohms fast, seemed very smooth transition from low to high (much like a good working TPS on a car....seems good IMO).  I checked the ptc1 "fuse" to chassis ground...*I think* and also got 41ish.  Dern schematic just shows 28 volts appearing (no source) in the "PC1"  (printed circuit?)

I can run and check it again voltage to ground to be sure, if it matters. LMK.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:41 PM, Ashley P said:

Man, I'd appreciate some help to get this fixed.   The wire feed acted crazy for about 10 seconds (would not feed/would feed, ect)  then stopped feeding.  Took apart, drive motor runs well on 12vDC.  Googled schematic, should have had 28vDC on the switch...had 41vDC.  Had a car headlamp hooked up instead of the motor...and about the 3rd time I powered up the disassembled welder the light lit up...sure enough the wire speed control controlled the brightness...it worked...until I blew the 12v bulb...hooked up the drive motor and had some movement (about 1/3 speed) that is not variable with speed control, but does vary with the 4 different amp settings.

Do you have any ideas?  I'd pay ya for some diagnosis or whatever...