JohnC

Tuning L99 for Heads, Cam, Exhaust, Converter, etc.

Rate this topic:

145 posts in this topic

I admire you for trying your hand at sorting it out yourself...but I dont envy you either.  Keep at it, you have SO many great resources available here locally to help you get it dialed in, but I would also completely understand if you FINALLY took it to someone to iron out quick so you can get to enjoying the car again.

Either way, good luck!  @goattdogg and I will be at the Hill next Tues if you wanna join us!  His Ecoboost is getting some bolt-ons and a tune this weekend so were gonna see how it picks up and Im gonna see if my clutch and/or half shafts will allow me to bump up the launch RPM a tad and shoot for some 1.5x 60's.  Get your stuff sorted out and come get some runs in!

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Tried the VVE thing.....

Pasted in the VVE errors in the VVE table in the tune, multiplied % 1/2 and smoothed the graph.

It wouldn't let me save anything until I did the calculate coefficients thing. :???:

Once I did that and saved the file, I uploaded it to the car.

My luck, it ran worse.

Barely would idle and drive at low speed / low rpm. :wall:

Like 3 months of trying to iron out this tune.... This is getting exhausting.... :dead:

Yes you have to calculate coefficients every time you make a change. Make sure you are making changes to the correct map, manifold switch closed.

Are you using any filters?

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

I admire you for trying your hand at sorting it out yourself...but I dont envy you either.  Keep at it, you have SO many great resources available here locally to help you get it dialed in, but I would also completely understand if you FINALLY took it to someone to iron out quick so you can get to enjoying the car again.

Either way, good luck!  @goattdogg and I will be at the Hill next Tues if you wanna join us!  His Ecoboost is getting some bolt-ons and a tune this weekend so were gonna see how it picks up and Im gonna see if my clutch and/or half shafts will allow me to bump up the launch RPM a tad and shoot for some 1.5x 60's.  Get your stuff sorted out and come get some runs in!

Matt

I echo what Matt is saying.  I admire your desire to tune your vehicle yourself and, in the long run, I’m sure that ability will both expand your knowledge and save you money.   That being said, there is a lot involved in tuning a modern vehicle correctly, and it seems like the learning curve is quite steep at this point of your self-education.  As Matt has already pointed out, you do have the luxury of local subject-matter experts to glean information from which should be immensely helpful.  However, it looks like you’re also taking YouTube advice from folks you don’t even know and inter-mixing it with the local resources.

I’m sure I’m pointing out the obvious, but no two people tune the same way.  In my opinion, it might serve you better to pick one source for tuning advice and stick with it.  Or bite the bullet and take it to someone who is already trained and proficient in tuning GM vehicles to work their magic.  Otherwise, I see less enjoyment and more frustration in the future.

I’d like to think I’m speaking for everyone when I say I WANT you to get your car sorted out asap so you can enjoy all the time/money/effort you’ve put into it.  In any case, good luck and godspeed!

Edited by Nostalgic1
66sprint6, mstrpth, Disney and 1 other like this

Yep!  Like I said to Tino, I WANT to see your tailights at the track.  1) because it means you actually made it to the track 2)Most importantly, it means you are getting your money's worth and 3) It will give me something to shoot for/a goal to achieve with the GT.

Get it sorted, get it quick and get it to the track and lets see what its made of finally!!!

Matt

Yes you have to calculate coefficients every time you make a change. Make sure you are making changes to the correct map, manifold switch closed.

Are you using any filters?

No filters. I did your method to fail the MAF.

Like the video, I pasted the corrections in all the VVE tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No filters. I did your method to fail the MAF.

Like the video, I pasted the corrections in all the VVE tables.

Garbage in=garbage out. Use filters, you don’t need transient fueling, dfco, or pe giving you false data.

JohnC and Disney like this

54 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

Garbage in=garbage out. Use filters, you don’t need transient fueling, dfco, or pe giving you false data.

Ahh...

Not sure how to do the specific stuff like < or > AND, etc.

What I'm trying to say is...

If there is a specific range or parameter, you'll probably have to tell me what it is.

I'm running completely blind on what to do on a lot of this stuff.

You tell me, then I google for specifics.

That's how I've been doing it.

It doesn't always produce the correct results as you can see, though. :lol:

This video shows where and how, but not the specific parameter setup pertaining to the filters I need for my VVE.

Make sense?

Read post below. My phone is retarded

That should get you going. 6310 is your fuel trim cell which will filter the Deceleration fuel cut off from the logs. 50090.156 is throttle position, filtering by position greater than 25%, less than a 5% movement over 200 millisecond, 50010.242 is Engine coolant greater than 170 to filter warmup fuel adders, and 50118.238 is your commanded eq ratio, filtering pe data. You will notice that you won’t get any data, your commanded eq ratio never goes higher than .987 so you will need to fix that. Your car never goes into closed loop.

Let's see if I did this right....

Log 1 is the drive home after I failed the MAF. Log 2 is after I pasted in the error, multiplied by % 1/2 and calculated coefficients. The tune is after the corrections from log 1. Log 2 was a short drive, so I didn't use it for corrections; just did it to see if anything improved. I did stall at starbucks drive thru. I think that's because it was idling about .7xx to .8xx lambda. That's pig rich, so idle need work. 

07_13_18.Layout.Layout.xml

07_13_18.Channels.Channels.xml

VE_Log_1.hpl

VE_Log_2.hpl

MAF_Fail_Tune.hpt

Making any headway?

Matt

None.

Car keeps going in to reduced power mode when I try to fail the maf., and log for VVE corrections.

It’s too dangerous. I’ve had it do that **** on the interstate and pulling out in traffic. The car basically will barely move above idle when it happens.

That said, I already made my mind up. I’m done with trying to tune it myself.

I’m going to schedule a dyno tune at Dynospeed In Memphis since they did a good job tuning my old GT. We’ll see if they can do anything with it.

I’ll gamble the $650 to try and get it done once and for all.

I really want to start enjoying it and running the ET it should be.

Ashley P and Mike like this

I was wondering if you could put some stock tune in it from a similarly equipped/performance engine, at least just to get by...possible?  GM got anything with close to the same CID/HP w/VVT?

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

None.

Car keeps going in to reduced power mode when I try to fail the maf., and log for VVE corrections.

It’s too dangerous. I’ve had it do that **** on the interstate and pulling out in traffic. The car basically will barely move above idle when it happens.

That said, I already made my mind up. I’m done with trying to tune it myself.

I’m going to schedule a dyno tune at Dynospeed In Memphis since they did a good job tuning my old GT. We’ll see if they can do anything with it.

I’ll gamble the $650 to try and get it done once and for all.

I really want to start enjoying it and running the ET it should be.

Josh at Dynospeed certainly knows his GM stuff, but why would you go four hours to Memphis for a tune when you have DBR right down the road in Spring Hill who are equally proficient at tuning GM stuff and turning out some incredible LS-based cars?

There are a bunch of local folks who do good work.  We dynod at one, DBR is another and those are only two of the many!  Either way you go I hope it's soon so you can get back to racing and having fun like you should!!!!

Matt

I’ve not heard any negative feedback on Dynospeed and I have personal experience with them that was very good.

That is why I decided to give them a shot....

66sprint6 likes this

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

I’ve not heard any negative feedback on Dynospeed and I have personal experience with them that was very good.

That is why I decided to give them a shot....

Makes sense.  I also had a good experience with Dynospeed in the past.  They tuned my 2001 Lightning and 2010 twin-turbo GT500.  

Edited by Nostalgic1
66sprint6 and JohnC like this