JohnC

This OBD2 connector look OK?

20 posts in this topic

This might be the culprit of my issues. Look at the pins and tell me what you see. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=918655&stc=1

78167fad5ba207fca81bfc296da4fdb4.jpg

80fe84ee5cc771301bf87943c0e77075.jpg

d20602f4b9f3467ac788c4cfa48d8713.jpg

31b22d6c799d5db7035dce43258b60a7.jpg

03c3cd0b6e5e1e5f8a479c096ca66a89.jpg

Let to right...

Top row Pin # 4 crushed flat

Bottom row Pin #3 pushed in?

Some look a bit bent down more than other probably causing weak connection.

Those terms need repair, but would only affect your "scanner" communication.  All ECU comm would be unaffected, so the U codes would remain.  At least that's what makes sense to me, but review that code chart I posted for GM info.

The piece that's "crushed flat" is the "spring loaded blade" that actually makes a firm contact with the male blade of whatever you plug into the connector.  You can take a pick and work it in behind the flattened out blade and pry it back into position.

Get a better scanner and see which U0073 code it is.

Edited by Ashley P

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

Those terms need repair, but would only affect your "scanner" communication.  All ECU comm would be unaffected, so the U codes would remain.  At least that's what makes sense to me, but review that code chart I posted for GM info.

The piece that's "crushed flat" is the "spring loaded blade" that actually makes a firm contact with the male blade of whatever you plug into the connector.  You can take a pick and work it in behind the flattened out blade and pry it back into position.

Get a better scanner and see which U0073 code it is.

If it is screwing with the ground and making a half-ass connection, it could be causing that code I'd assume because that code usually comes back to wiring and ground issues if it isn't a bad PCM from my Google-Fu'ing.

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If it is screwing with the ground and making a half-ass connection, it could be causing that code I'd assume because that code usually comes back to wiring and ground issues if it isn't a bad PCM from my Google-Fu'ing.

Those damaged pins are just hanging out waiting for a scanner to connect to.   Loose terminals won't see any codes.  You can take a knife and cut the connector out and it will not make any codes set.

GM lists different U0073 codes.  Which one do you have?

8 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Those damaged pins are just hanging out waiting for a scanner to connect to.   Loose terminals won't see any codes.  You can take a knife and cut the connector out and it will not make any codes set.

GM lists different U0073 codes.  Which one do you have?

You miss my point almost every time. :wall:

I'm talking about when I hook up a code scanner to the OBD2 port, HP Tuners, AEM Wide Band OBD2 connectors, Marta connector, etc.

Any intermittent connection to that OBD2 connector could screw with the PCM as it is a direct connection to the PCM.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You miss my point almost every time. :wall:

I'm talking about when I hook up a code scanner to the OBD2 port, HP Tuners, AEM Wide Band OBD2 connectors, Marta connector, etc.

Any intermittent connection to that OBD2 connector could screw with the PCM as it is a direct connection to the PCM.

lol   Sorry.  

What's "resetting the PCM"?

I don't know what size or style offhand.  I've got access to some old harnesses that I usually can usually rob a terminal out of.  If we can ID them I'd mail you some.  (I'm wondering if all OBDII are the same, at least GM, at least for several years at a time.)

Edited by Ashley P

Jumped the gun. Went home and lunch and looked. I have some, depending on which connector you have. Like, would need pictures to know if the ones I have are the same. Or, you can just get the different styles from Ballenger and then you'll have the right one no matter.

6 minutes ago, Disney said:

Jumped the gun. Went home and lunch and looked. I have some, depending on which connector you have. Like, would need pictures to know if the ones I have are the same. Or, you can just get the different styles from Ballenger and then you'll have the right one no matter.

I'll see if I can get it apart and take pictures this Saturday. Thanks, mang! :up:

I took the OBD connector off and checked it out. There is no wire where we thought a pin was pushed in.

There are six in the middle, one on the top row left side and one on the bottom row right side.

So that leads me to believe the bent pin (top row fourth pin that looks smashed more flat) is the loose connection making the pcm spaz out when connected.

I did explain this to the MARTA people and show a picture and he made sure to put the OBD cable on easy and straight.

It picked up and showed all sensors ready and I passed emissions testing.

So I'll replace that female pin before I do anymore logging or tuning for sure.

Disney, Ashley P and mstrpth like this