Mike

24 at Daytona

12 posts in this topic

Picture dump.  I didn't take tons of pictures.  There were 14,892 other "professional" photographers there that took care of that.  You couldn't swing a dead cat without breaking $1.5b in telephoto lenses.

I started off by washing the car and packing up the car Wednesday and Thursday night.

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

Now, I'm always nervous about long distance driving hot rods.  Even though this one seems relatively simple, I've had it all the way down to the shortblock and back.  But I really wanted to take the V.  Turns out the drive was uneventful for the car.  It did great and I have new found confidence in it.  The valvetrain noise that used to bother me is no big deal now.

I camped outside the track.  The weather was awesome 50's/60's with just a little rain Saturday night.

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

Lots of cool cars all over the place.  This race is kinda like Cars and Coffee in the kinds of cars it brings out.

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

mstrpth likes this

If you've never been to a big superspeedway, TV and pictures don't do the size justice.  With the road course used inside the track, one lap is 3.56 miles.  I've got some more big panoramics, but they won't upload

From the outside.

IMG_E0322.JPG

They let everyone out on the grid to check out the cars before the race.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

I watched from multiple spots for a couple hours at each place.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

I've got tons of video, but I have to put some of it together before I can upload it to youtube.  The pictures are nice, but the sound from the video is the best part.

IMG_0364.JPG

mstrpth likes this

The best part was pulling this thing back in the garage with 1450 more miles on the odometer and all it needs is a bath.  Lots of people say they would drive their high hp car across country, I really did it, including 5 hours of hard rain in south Georgia last night.

IMG_0365.JPG

JohnC and mstrpth like this

The race was pretty uneventful.  The race leader basically lead 793/807 laps.  There were only 4 full course cautions.  They actually broke the previous distance record of ~2765 miles set in 1982.  The record is now ~2873 miles.  All because there wasn't much time spent under caution.

I love watching from the entrance and exit of the infield (sunrise pic above).  Sitting at the Tri-oval hearing them pass at WOT is good too.  But inside the infield is good too.  There aren't any bad spots, and the plus is you can go wherever you want.  There are three classes running simultaneously so lots of passing going on that doesn't affect actual placement.  It's not anything like a nascar race.

Ashley P and JohnC like this

I came in this morning hoping to see this thread and you did not disappoint! I like watching our races from on top of the garages just past the starting grid, right at pit-in. Not sure how much those tickets costs for this race, but i'm ready to pay it.

JohnC likes this

18 minutes ago, Disney said:

I came in this morning hoping to see this thread and you did not disappoint! I like watching our races from on top of the garages just past the starting grid, right at pit-in. Not sure how much those tickets costs for this race, but i'm ready to pay it.

$165 for 2 day infield/stadium tickets ($80), garage passes($45) and camping ($40)

I could actually do without the garage passes.  Unless you happen to be there when they bring one in to the garage at night you won't see much there.  There is a little pre-prep going on before the race, but it's so crowded, it's not worth it.  I hadn't done it before, so I figured why not this time.  I think a bunch of people "camp" in their cars in the parking lot.  I would really like to have a camper, but infield camper parking is $$$$.

JohnC likes this

Do Petit Le Mans next. Some corners you're really close. I think I might try and camp this year if I'm off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Love going to Petit. Being my "home track" makes it more special to me I think. And yes, you can get real close to the action there. I was at the exit of T5 when a car tried to come up thru the fencing. That was AWESOME! Man, he was a terrible driver.....

Chad likes this