Mike

NASA HPDE

15 posts in this topic

@Disney tell me about what to do for a first time open track event.  I've had fun drag racing, but I've always had the urge to turn left and right.

Do I do a NASA HPDE?  Or is there something better for a beginner?  This would be in my V of course, but I'll put stock size pulleys back on it to get it back down to ~550 rwhp.  I'll also pay some attention to the brakes, fluid change and make sure I have enough pad.  The car has decent Michelin PSS tires on it.

What do you need for safety gear?  I have a SA10 helmet, driving shoes, neck brace and maybe some gloves.  I sold my suit, but could buy another if needed?

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

NASA HPDE is the best place for a beginner to start. Read thru their FAQ's to get most the answers you may have. 

For the car, don't worry about much at first. Proper tire pressures and brakes in good shape. Don't go balls out on brakes and get some Hawk level 99 super grippers. Just a street performance pad is fine for now. I wouldn't even worry about backing down the power for now because you won't be using it anyways. 

For safety, just a helmet, and pants. No flip flops, tank tops, or shorts. Yes...  People have tried that. No gloves. Regular street shoes. no neck brace. 

And go ahead and get a camera now. You'll want to watch your in-car vids as soon as you come off track. 

18 hours ago, Mike said:

I was just going to make sure I had enough pad left and flush the system with some good fluid.

I'd want to see at least 3/4 pad if it's a normal street pad.  you'll use more brakes than you will gas.

JohnC likes this

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

Maybe @Mike needs to pick up that 2010 SS for $16k for a track car. :yes:

I would love to see a 5th gen do the twisties. :hyper:

Why do that when a $1500 BMW will do the same thing? 

I don't know that i've seen any later gen Camaros out there. Seen some 5L Mustangs making the rounds and more Vettes than you can shake a stick at.

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

57 minutes ago, Disney said:

Why do that when a $1500 BMW will do the same thing? 

I don't know that i've seen any later gen Camaros out there. Seen some 5L Mustangs making the rounds and more Vettes than you can shake a stick at.

Because 5th Gen's are cool on and off the track? :love:

They do handle decent. The 1Le is the best place to start, though.

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Because 5th Gen's are cool on and off the track? :love:

They do handle decent. The 1Le is the best place to start, though.

Jump out there!  Get Tennesspeed to sponsor you!  Or, convert it to a manual and get a prison to sponsor you...call it......death row.   :roflmao:  :shiftyeyes:

Edited by Ashley P
mstrpth, JohnC, Disney and 1 other like this

22 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Jump out there!  Get Tennesspeed to sponsor you!  Or, convert it to a manual and get a prison to sponsor you...call it......death row.   :roflmao:  :shiftyeyes:

Holla at me when you want to take that old GTO around the twisties or a straight line against my nearly stock 5th Gen. ;)

I'll lay money on it if that'll get you out of the daycare to race. :yes:

Disney likes this

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Holla at me when you want to take that old GTO around the twisties or a straight line against my nearly stock 5th Gen. ;)

"Nearly stock", what's that mean?  Oh, holla at me when you wanna borrow a box cutter.  :) :P

Disney likes this

21 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

"Nearly stock", what's that mean?  Oh, holla at me when you wanna borrow a box cutter.  :) :P

Scared to run your junk against mine? :lol:

Surely the mighty goat can do more than support tin roofs during tornado's.  :duck:

I'll even run you on 93 pump gas, not E85. :yes:

Ashley P and Disney like this

John, sir, your car would spank the Goat even if mine ran.  I could put 200 more HP in it and still get toasted because of the curves.  The only thing that turns worse than a rusted out 66 GTO is a Top Fuel dragster, and the only thing that stops worse is a semi on ice.  lol  But for a tornado shelter the Goat holds it's own!  lol

Mike, I hope you get the Caddy in the curves and maybe use Tino's 360 camera.  I hope you have some fun.

Tino likes this

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, JohnC said:

You talking about the same amount you put up against @higherpowerracing? :D:duck: 

Ashley P and JohnC like this