JohnC

What's your goals for 2018?

24 posts in this topic

#1 on the list for me is getting the Camaro assembled and tuned. :yes:

I'm hoping to make another 100hp to the tire. :yes:

I want to be able to do some racing this season and actually run a respectable ET. :3gears:

Other than that, I want get back to being debt free. I don't have much debt, but I like paying cash, not payments.

Then, I want to spend more time with family. I have spent way too much time working. Seeing as my Dad is getting Alzheimer's, every moment I spend with him counts.

Tino, 66sprint6, mstrpth and 1 other like this

Good list.  I want to watch my little boy grow, watch my little family grow, watch my faith grow and spend more time in the now than looking back or forward.  I wanna hit the Hill up as often as I can, maybe with multiple cars, do as much wrenching and cruising as I can afford $$$ and time wise and do all i can to keep learning, growing and moving forward in life.

Merry Christmas all!

Matt

JohnC and Raceall like this

First, INSULATE the housing addition!   lol   At 15*F and 10 mph wind, it's like a door is open...meant to already, but van, kids, hospital, ect.

1. I too would like to get better "now" focus.
  2. I've gotten outta shape in every way:  physically like never before, spiritually, and mentally.   It's like I've been in a coma for a few years.  I need to get outta that funk.
  3. House.  Outta try to get the basement finished in 18.
  4. More naps.  Wait, maybe that's the cause of point #2....NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit for cold factor of low teens F last night

Edited by Ashley P
66sprint6 and JohnC like this

Automotively:

I had set the goal of driving the Nova on our anniversary, last year, but that didn't get done. This year, even if I don't drive it, I want to at least fire it.

Careerly:

Church: I have the blessing of pastoring a church that has grown from 18 to averaging about 30, including 2 of my best friends and their families. This year, I want to see 40-45, consistently, in attendance. 

Full-time: I want to do everything I possibly can to make it possible for my wife to be able to stay home with the baby. Also, unless things drastically change and improve, I want to change jobs. I'm a little tired of working 50-55 hours per week at one of my jobs, and being on call 24/7 for both.

Personally: 

After losing Granny, last week, I want to be more intentional about family time and get-togethers. I also want to spend more time with friends.

I want to get my yard in order, and both garages in better shape.

I want to actually have time to relax and have fun, from time to time. 

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

36 minutes ago, Disney said:

3. Get my brother's 79 Mustang running and out of my shop.

Small tire Super Pro, just add box......   :lol:

21 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Small tire Super Pro, just add box......   :lol:

Thinking about cutting the front half of the cage out to make it more street and family friendly for him. 

What i've got to go back in it:   306 with ported GT40P heads, TFS stage 1 cam, HP turbo kit with TC78 turbo, MS2 ecu. Just need some time......

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

47 minutes ago, dr.art said:

travel less for work.

Good luck with that one!  I'm about to start a new role here so my travel should cut down quite a bit. I had cut down a lot until I got trained at doing Thermal (fire) investigations, that's what has kept me on the road this year. I'm supposed to suspend that while in this new role (temporary).

JohnC likes this

this could go either way

if our budget gets chopped ( and it may) travel will go way down .

if I get the entire budget approved I will be adding 2 more field trainers to my staff and then getting them up to speed is more travel.

let me know if and when you start to put the '79 together I dig that little car and could help out stuffing the turbo in that one

Disney and JohnC like this

8 hours ago, Disney said:

until I got trained at doing Thermal (fire) investigations, .

Super interesting!   More info, please?  (Last night I was reading ntsb report of a blown jet engine that let go on takeoff roll, a chunk of compressor/turbine went through the roof of a UPS warehouse 3000' away. For some reason I like seeing how they figure out the root cause(s) of such failures.)

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Super interesting!   More info, please? 

Most of my training on this has been through my employer (Nissan). I did attend a live burn seminar in Michigan a couple months ago. It really helped to put two and 2 together. I've been to cars where I knew it was arson, but I didn't see it happen. Going to the live burns and seeing the guy pour gas over a car and light it helped tremendously. Several "AH HA!" moments that day.

The Nissan training was much more in depth and advanced. It would apply to any thermal event (fire), but focused solely on cars for obvious reasons. It's funny now that I know what I know and I look at some cars where arson is the obvious (to me) cause, that the arsonists ever thought they would get away with their story. But they don't see it from my eyes, they think a torched car is a torched car and whatever story they tell will be the end of it. Fortunately for us, that's not the case.

Edited by Disney
Ashley P likes this

Posted (edited)

Fascinating.   I have no training, but I have seen many near "thermal events" *.   Anything from corn stalks wedged around the cat, battery cables chaffed, misc.wires melting to the exhaust, and once a running Buick with gas dripping out of the muffler drain. 

*chuckle at "thermal event".   GM used the same PC language.   Fire by any other name still burns the car.

Edited by Ashley P

Yes, i'm well trained on the correct terminology to keep lawyers happy.

I've seen some interesting stuff this last year. One truck went up while in 30-35mph winds and the owner got it on video. Blamed the truck. It was obliterated.... Except where it started. Dried stalks of sugar cane at the Cat.... He is a worker at the sugar cane fields in S. FL. 

Saw one where the owner claims spontaneous combustion. 6K miles. FWD Sedan,CVT. Firs thing I noticed was front tires completely bald. 0 tread left. Then notice about 8 different areas of high temp. Obvious case of pouring gas over the car. 

One car the door panel went up randomly. Owner is PISSED. Blames us. I get to digging... Thermal started low on the door, no wiring down there... I dig.. Notice lots of empty packs of gun on passenger compartment. AS i'm digging I find the gum wrappers. And straw wrappers.... Customer says he had just parked at friends house where he went inside to play XBOX. That explains the AA batteries in the door pocket surrounded by aluminum gum wrappers and paper straw wrappers. Makes for a great ignition source!  Ended up looking at two cars this year that went up due to AA batteries. Pretty neat stuff.

66sprint6 and Ashley P like this

so if someone wanted to burn a car down and not get caught, what would be the best approach? Asking for a friend

16 hours ago, Disney said:

... I dig.. Notice lots of empty packs of gun on passenger compartment.

Only one conclusion there:  It's John C's car!   lol

mstrpth likes this

10 hours ago, mstrpth said:

so if someone wanted to burn a car down and not get caught, what would be the best approach? Asking for a friend

Wait until it snows and drive it......

Go to Oregon and fill up with gas:

pumpinggas.png

Tino, mstrpth, Ashley P and 2 others like this

"Get out, it's on fire."   I'll complete the sentence, "and start throwing snow on it like cocaine up Richard Pryor's nose!"