shaft

Back in the game I guess..

72 posts in this topic

Just now, bigmike83 said:

Doing well. Do you still have the coupe ? 

Yeah.  Engineless since 2009 :cool:

JohnC likes this

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, bigmike83 said:

7 minutes ago, bigmike83 said:

I thought it was getting an ls swap ?

So did I :lol: - then I had a stint as a professional musician and spent engine money on gear and was not home a lot.  Stuff happens - It's still as nice as the day it was put on them there jackstands.  If I had to decide what it'd get right now it would be a big inch Procharged Windsor and a T56 Magnum, but no matter what I look at, you're talking $20k+ to do it right.  ZL1 is satisfying every need for the moment.

Edited by shaft
Disney and JohnC like this

I bet the zl1 is sucks a bad ass car. Mines been through two not motors and now I’m redoing the front suspension. So it’s still making sure my jack stands are working as well lol. 

Posted (edited)

I really enjoy it.  I miss ripping around in the Fox, but it's nice to be able to do whatever I want and have no worries.

Driving to VA this weekend.  Should be a nice trip.  90f.  A/C seats. 

The Fox Will Rise Again - but It's so far back on the priority list and apparently has been for a while.

Before this car I had a 2011 GT 6 speed which was fun enough it didn't make me care about the coupe.

Yeah, I don't miss suspension work :lol: - but I have a buttload of MM stuff still for the coupe and will swap out the K-member with an MM unit before anything else happens, so I'll be in that boat soon.

Edited by shaft
bigmike83, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

2 hours ago, Nostalgic1 said:

What’s this I hear about the ZL1 being traded in and a ZL1 1LE taking its place?

The ZL1 1LE is my dream car at this point. :love:

If he does have one, i want a ride! :hyper:

@shaft

Still have the Zl1? Or did you trade for the ZL1 1LE?

I really think as soon as I get done with this 10SS, that I'll get a ZL1.

I want the ZL1 1LE but I don't want a 6 speed manual. I want the 10 Speed auto because no matter how you cut it, the auto's are faster in a drag race.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

@shaft

I want the ZL1 1LE but I dno't want a 6 speed manual. I want the 10 Speed auto because no matter how you cut it, the auto's are faster in a drag race.

Must have the wrong manual mods.... :)

66sprint6 likes this

7 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Must have the wrong manual mods.... :)

Go look at all the tests of stock vs stock A6 vs M6.

Better yet, go drive one of each yourself.

You work at a Chevy dealership, right?

Some people cannot help living in the past and using outdated data to support a modern arguement.  There was a guy online the other day suggesting old foxbody performance improvement modifications would have the same effect on a Coyote-powered S550.

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Go look at all the tests of stock vs stock A6 vs M6.

Better yet, go drive one of each yourself.

You work at a Chevy dealership, right?

No.  Independent repair.

Which tests do you prefer?  

Then there are folks like me that just dont care that they are slower so they row their own gears...and wouldnt you know it...didnt get beat all that often by similarly modded auto cars.  New auto's are faster.  But give me some seat time and let me hone in the driver mod and Ill make you have to work a little harder than just slappin it in D and letting off the brake at the right time

:roflmao:

Shift tuning, not yours per se JohnC, but in general is INCREDIBLE these days tho.  Ive seen cars with a little magic in the shift toon snap shifts off so fast it spooks you every shift as a spectator.  Really amazing tech and super efficient so you will never hear me argue that they arent amazing and even better in most cases.  They just arent as fun to me and therefor not my preference.  If the right deal on a 10 speed car came along, I wouldnt pass up considering it but if a manual was also in the cards it would be an easy pick for me.  To each his own.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

CVT, no shift tuning.  It works absolutely perfectly at keeping the engine right in their torque band to maximize acceleration...........

To bad more manufactures do not use this excellent technology.........

Oh yeah I know why, it is about as durable as tissue paper clued by the note in every owners manual......"DO NOT TOW TRAILERS"

66sprint6 likes this

37 minutes ago, Cannon Fodder said:

CVT, no shift tuning.  It works absolutely perfectly at keeping the engine right in their torque band to maximize acceleration...........

To bad more manufactures do not use this excellent technology.........

Oh yeah I know why, it is about as durable as tissue paper clued by the note in every owners manual......"DO NOT TOW TRAILERS"

And if the CVT keeps it at peak HP it'll move the car fastest.  I've admitted that the CVT is the ultimate trans.   But I'll balk at any automatic with planetary gearing beating a manual.  There's a power loss due to planetaries to potentially exploit.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, Cannon Fodder said:

CVT,

Not true at all. Pathfinder has CVT and Class III hitch and 6,000 tow rating. I've towed my trailer with a mustang on it with my wife's pathfinder. Factory 7 pin and trailer brake wiring factory installed.

Ashley P likes this

Must have changed it, last I looked at was a Rogue.  Call me skeptical but every manufacture that has tried the CVT ended up abandoning it.

Didn't Nissan release an extended warranty (as a result of a lawsuit) not too long ago because of the transmissions issues with the CVT in the Maxima?

The turning point I think is when they put it behind a class 8 diesel as they have a narrow power band

Edited by Cannon Fodder

3 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Must have changed it, last I looked at was a Rogue.  Call me skeptical but every manufacture that has tried the CVT ended up abandoning it.

Didn't Nissan release an extended warranty (as a result of a lawsuit) not too long ago because of the transmissions issues with the CVT in the Maxima?

The turning point I think is when they put it behind a class 8 diesel as they have a narrow power band

Didn't every MFG of every car have to extend a warranty for something here and there? Do you think they would take what they learned and improve upon it? And how wants to tow with a Rogue anyways? 

And yes, you are skeptical. No, not every MFG that has tried CVT has left it. GM did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobiles_with_continuously_variable_transmissions new Honda, Toyota, Subarus, and Nissans still rock the ol slipper trans.

49 minutes ago, Disney said:

Do you think they would take what they learned and improve upon it?

Not really, just enough to get past the warranty period.

It's true that bad news travels fast. Not a lot of people shouting from the mountains about how good their CVT has been. Plenty of folks willing to complain though if something is wrong (or they perceive it's wrong).