shaft

Back in the game I guess..

59 posts in this topic

Got tired of having slow stuff, so I got something not as slow.

'18 ZL1 A10.  Got it friday.  Has maybe 100 miles on it now, and since it's cold as balls and the F1 Supercar tires fall apart under temperatures of 40f and below, it'll likely sit in the garage for the next few weeks :lol:

First performance car I've ever owned that literally needs nothing to be perfect (well, it does need tint).  Even the exhaust sounds like an aftermarket system - I can't believe it's legal for a factory car to be this loud, but I ain't complaining!

02pZA4b.jpg

-ReefBlueCoupe (yes, I still have my coupe)

Edited by shaft
Tino, Disney, dr.art and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ReefBlueCoupe

Daaaaaaaang! Another Mustang fan gone to the dark side! :stare:

Congrats, bro! That's a badass car!  :up:

I've got a 2010 SS. :love:

I want the ZL1 1LE! :yum:

Who'd thought all us diehard Ford guys would end up driving Chevy's? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he was going to put a ls in the coupe, I guess he decided it was to much work and just bought one. :lol:

 

 

Is it still sitting on the jack stands with the rearend out of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:
19 hours ago, JohnC said:

@ReefBlueCoupe

Daaaaaaaang! Another Mustang fan gone to the dark side! :stare:

Congrats, bro! That's a badass car!  :up:

I've got a 2010 SS. :love:

I want the ZL1 1LE! :yum:

Who'd thought all us diehard Ford guys would end up driving Chevy's? :lol:

Thanks!  I like your car.  I'd like a ZL1 1LE, but am fine with this car.  It's awesome and I do not regret not getting the ZL1 1LE at all.  You know I've never been brand-loyal - just always had Fords for whatever reason.  The Mustangs are made of glass - oil-pump gears blowing up, powdered rods, etc.  MT82.  Everything needs to be upgraded to make real power without worrying.  Just was tired of that game.  GM stuff is light years ahead of Ford right now.  Ford's decision to stick with modular engines has cost them a lot of money, because people don't have confidence that they can supercharge or whatever without destroying an engine every time they run it hard. 

 

Quote
19 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Well he was going to put a ls in the coupe, I guess he decided it was to much work and just bought one. :lol:

Is it still sitting on the jack stands with the rearend out of it?

Yup :D - I do have more parts now, though.  LS idea is out.  Everyone is doing that and Coyotes now.  I think it'd be more interesting and cooler to just do a big Windsor with a nice injection setup, or a 302-based 363.  LS's are great - just takes a lot of money and headache to do it RIGHT - and I am not motivated to tackle a project like that.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Are you going to mod at all?

I doubt it.  It really needs nothing.  I guess that may change when I get used to it, but I like the idea of being able to drive it as hard as I want for years under warranty.  I've seen the Rotofab CAI that is about $500 and nets you +25-30rwhp without any tune changes.  That may be a possibility, but again, it's fine, and the warranty will give me peace of mind.

2 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Only new Camaro that looks any kind of decent to me, and is fast as hell to boot.  Congrats!

Matt

Thanks.  I agree, and it doesn't really look like a Camaro with the bodywork, wider fenders, zero badging on the side (THANK YOU GM) and those wheels and spoiler.  There is not a bad angle on this car.

 

Edited by shaft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shaft

Was searching.

The 2017 ZL1 at R&T laid down 567 whp stock!

Seen 1/4 mile times of 11.3 in the 1/4, too! :up:

That car can be in the 10's with just a few easy mods and tune.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they ever open when it's cold?

I'm a break-in guy. I'll be ready in about 750 more miles!

You still in Hermitage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaft said:

Are they ever open when it's cold?

I'm a break-in guy. I'll be ready in about 750 more miles!

You still in Hermitage?

There is one track open now, forget the name, but we can wait for warm weather. :up:

Yup! Still in da hood. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably end up with a Rotofab at some point.  Looking at the Tony Mamo ported TB as well.  Those two are good for about 30 at the wheels without any tuning while maintaining safe A/F ratio throughout the curve, but I'd consider tuning at some point after the warranty is up.  I enjoy beating on it without any worries whatsoever, though, so I probably won't even do anything for a while.  It's plenty fast!

I drive most nice days, but have been holding back some because my drive to work is RIDDLED with huge potholes now.

Edited by shaft
66sprint6 and JohnC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, shaft said:

I'll probably end up with a Rotofab at some point.  Looking at the Tony Mamo ported TB as well.  Those two are good for about 30 at the wheels without any tuning while maintaining safe A/F ratio throughout the curve, but I'd consider tuning at some point after the warranty is up.  I enjoy beating on it without any worries whatsoever, though, so I probably won't even do anything for a while.  It's plenty fast!

I don't blame you for that. :no:

But I know even with the warranty issue, I couldn't resist modding that car if it were mine. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to, it just doesn't need it!  Stance is great, looks are great, turns corners, rapes supercars, sounds effing killer, brakes are huge and it stops 60-1 in 96 feet, wheel/tire combo looks great, has bad-ass factory Recaros, trans is great.  It just needs nothing at all to satisfy me.

Oh, I had the windows tinted.  Does that count?

mstrpth, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't touch it.  I bet as is, it probably makes power right at the edge of what's usable on the street.  What mine makes is not usable on a daily driveable tire.

If I had the cash for a 2016+ CTSV, it would remain 100% stock.  If I could go back to when I bought mine, I would have spent my mod money on a more pristine lower mileage version of mine.  I had just as much fun with 556hp as I do now with 800hp.  In the current car world, nether number is enough to impress much of anyone, not that I really care anymore anyway.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got it, Mike.  Driving it on the street is actually frustrating if you're in the mood to do fast-car things because you can't use it much.  Seriously, at any speed, you are about a second and a half of acceleration away from a reckless driving ticket.  It's good for quick bursts, though.  That's fun.  It's also been too cold to really do much on curvy roads with the factory Supercar 3 tires.  They are just ok when cool and require special care when cold.  Anyone buying one of these should know they are just a track tire disguised as a street tire.  A lot of people install MPSS or similar tires for more fun on the street.

Still, no complaints here!

Edited by shaft
66sprint6 and JohnC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don't touch it.  I bet as is, it probably makes power right at the edge of what's usable on the street.  What mine makes is not usable on a daily driveable tire.

If I had the cash for a 2016+ CTSV, it would remain 100% stock.  If I could go back to when I bought mine, I would have spent my mod money on a more pristine lower mileage version of mine.  I had just as much fun with 556hp as I do now with 800hp.  In the current car world, nether number is enough to impress much of anyone, not that I really care anymore anyway.

Every car you see on 1320Video, etc., is laying down at least 800 to 1200hp. :yes:

I'd say you are in the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This car continues to impress.  I spent a few of the last nice days on some of the newly-discovered backroads near me, and wow is all I can say.  This car is SO sorted.  It seriously leaves nothing to be desired on the street.  I'm sure I'd like it to be a 9 second monster on the dragstrip, but it's fine enough for now.

Heading to Beech Bend this coming weekend March 3rd.  Planning to, anyway.  Not planning for any hero runs the first time out - gotta learn how to launch it without blowing away the tires, but I'll be happy with 11.2-11.3 @ 128ish.  Any quicker will be a bonus.

I did not take these photos.  The un-watermarked ones, I do not know the photographer's name, but I will post it as soon as I find out.  Credit to him.

zzO7US8.jpg


bZXJScm.jpg


ykiFkj7.jpg


gRxf3Dh.jpg


hqUytWa.jpg


6I0wCkS.jpg

Edited by shaft
Tino, Disney, mstrpth and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.