Ashley P

GM MAF "delete" (disconnect)

7 posts in this topic

So, if a GM MAF is bad and causing surging, and simply disconnecting it makes the truck run fine, what is the benefit of having the MAF functional?  :shrug:

12 hours ago, Ashley P said:

So, if a GM MAF is bad and causing surging, and simply disconnecting it makes the truck run fine, what is the benefit of having the MAF functional?  :shrug:

Hard to believe it would run better disconnected. :???:

Many MAF vehicles will disregard the MAF if it's signal is illogical/missing. It runs using other parameters, I just don't know what that "hurts" other than having a CEL on.  It's difficult to get a good aftermarket MAF, and I don't want to invest the money into a GM MAF.

The ecm (0411’s and up) run maf only above 3,xxx rpm. It is supposedly a better way to calculate the cylinder airmass. I run 2 bar speed density on my truck and have for years. Now on yours if it’s a 0411, p01, p59, etc it will run fine BUT you will be stuck in the low octane spark map.

Cliff notes: get a new maf or loose performance and mpg’s.

It's that 2001 5.7 3500 van.  It's always low octane.   I'll try cleaning it.  I'm sure mpg have decreased because with the MAF I had lean surge.

It's that 2001 5.7 3500 van.  It's always low octane.   I'll try cleaning it.  I'm sure mpg have decreased because with the MAF I had lean surge.

Low octane is just in reference to the spark map, usually regular spark map minus 4-6 degrees. I forgot but if you have a five wire maf sensor your iat sensor is in that also.