Blake D.

Project *Name My Project*

Rate this topic:

24 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Here's my current build. I purchased this car a little over 2 months ago. It's a Ashen Gray Metallic 2013 Camaro L99 2SS, that had 19,500 miles on it. I was able to get this car for $21k and couldn't pass up the deal. I'd like your ideas on the project name for this by the way. I was thinking Project Nighthawk, but I'm not 100% on it. Post your suggestions.

With my previous Camaro I got big into tuning and ended up purchasing HP Tuners as well ass tuning books specifically for Gen III and Gen V platforms. I plan on tuning this car from start to finish and post the results as I progress the build. I hope to share the knowledge I've learned as well as learn from other more experienced tuners, or even avid learners like myself.

I took it out for the first time completely stock and ran 8.66 in the 1/8th (we don't have a 1/4 track close by). I've so far removed the torque management, and adjusted the throttle tables.

I just installed my intake today and will start getting the MAF dialed in properly for idle and part throttle. From there I plan on ordering a wide band O2 so I can start doing WOT fueling. Once that is all dialed in I plan on working on the spark table to see what I can get out of the car with no knock. Future plans will be some FI route. I really like the ideas of turbos as my previous car was N/A with a cam.

Current Mods:

• Cold Air Inductions intake
  • Air Scope
  • Catch Can
  • BMR Sturt Bar
  • Blacked out taillight bezels
  • Tune

front.jpg

engine.jpg

back.jpg

car.jpg

I'm not too good with naming projects...

Hmm... I'll have to think about that for a bit.

I love the color. Always felt the Grays look best on the 5th Gens.

BTW, welcome to the forum! I'd have posted earlier, but I was stuck at work until 6am and then had to catch a nap before going back.

We have similar setups btw. :love:

Most of the new mods below aren't installed yet, so just CAI, Scoop, cat deletes, catback and home-brewed tune.

I'm always down for some fun competition! I'm debating on going the full exhaust cam route. Or saving up and doing turbos (would be a while).

I appreciate the welcomes. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum.

JohnC likes this

10 hours ago, Blake D. said:

I'm always down for some fun competition! I'm debating on going the full exhaust cam route. Or saving up and doing turbos (would be a while).

I appreciate the welcomes. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum.

Project "Coyote Killer"?

Read below...

We have a mission.

That mission is to spank a certain 2015 Mustang GT performance pack with bolt-ons that is currently running 7.95's in the 1/8 mile while talking mad crap that all 5th Gens are slow.

You down? :D

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Project "Coyote Killer"?

Read below...

We have a mission.

That mission is to spank a certain 2015 Mustang GT performance pack with bolt-ons that is currently running 7.95's in the 1/8 mile while talking mad crap that all 5th Gens are slow.

You down? :D

I'm always down to race some moostangs. I'll need to put some Long Tube headers, gears, and converter on order now though :3gears:

After I finish the engine and transmission tune, I hope to be in the low 8's with just a CAI.

A buddy of mine with his 2010 5th Gen ran 7.41 N/A (Tune, Gears, Exhaust, CAI) stock internals.

JohnC likes this

19 minutes ago, Blake D. said:

I'm always down to race some moostangs. I'll need to put some Long Tube headers, gears, and converter on order now though :3gears:

After I finish the engine and transmission tune, I hope to be in the low 8's with just a CAI.

A buddy of mine with his 2010 5th Gen ran 7.41 N/A (Tune, Gears, Exhaust, CAI) stock internals.

Was that 7.41 with DR's?

Best I ever got in hot humid summer air with CAI, Scoop, Cat delete, catback and home brewed tune was 8.5 in the 1/8.

Corrected ET came out from a 13.1 1/4 to a 12.7 1/4 according to drag times. Not sure what the 1/8 would have been.

That's how bad the DA was that day. It one was of the hottest most humid days we had all summer.

I just ordered some Trick Flow GenX 255's. That should help get the land yacht moving. :yes:

Tino, Cody and Disney like this

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Best I ever got in hot humid summer air with CAI, Scoop, Cat delete, catback and home brewed tune was 8.5 in the 1/8.

Corrected ET came out from a 13.1 1/4 to a 12.7 1/4 according to drag times. Not sure what the 1/8 would have been.

That's how bad the DA was that day. It one was of the hottest most humid days we had all summer.

I just ordered some trick Flow GenX 255's. That should help get the land yacht moving. :yes:

Very nice! That should wake it up a good bit for sure.

Did you do your cam install? I'm thinking about tackling my own this go around and had some questions.

4 minutes ago, Blake D. said:

Very nice! That should wake it up a good bit for sure.

Did you do your cam install? I'm thinking about tackling my own this go around and had some questions.

None of the new mods I got are installed yet.

Soon!

Welcome, glad you found this place as well, its pretty cool.

I wasnt bout to start trash talking but JohnC dragged me in I guess.  Every single 5th gen LS3/L99 bolt-on/tire car at the Hill run mid 8's at best, including JohnC's.  Truth.  I ran a 7.9x on street tires in the heat.  Also truth (ive also run my share of mid 8's lol)  I love busting his balls since he often returns the favor or is doing it to others so its a good time for all.  I cant wait to see his pile of money...I mean parts get put to use and the car actually become quick.  Till then, my couple of mods/canned tune Coyote will hold its edge.  I cant help name your project but I say DONT follow JohnC's build and put half that money into a blower and a tune OR turbos...boost is goooooooooooooooood.  Then you wont have to worry about my slow ass Coyote and I can actually see a quick 5th gen SS make a pass!

Matt

Cody and Disney like this

Welcome!

I can't wait to spank this 5th gen too! Lol we like to give johnc an extra hard time cuz he jumped face first into the LSX kool-aid. If you need anything installed or tuned you are more than welcome to bring it to us at Boost Addicts. We do a ton of LS stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cody and 66sprint6 like this

23 hours ago, Blake D. said:

Crap, invite him over here! I'd love to pick his brain on the tuning. Especially the trans tuning. :up:

I got a giant container of petroleum jelly in the garage that could help with that ashiness.  Hell, I might steal that name for it...the ashen assassin.  Too close to the assend assassin :lol:

Matt

mstrpth likes this

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Blake D. said:

slow down now, @JohnC doesn't install parts, he just stocks them.

I'm pretty sure he's taking the - I WOULD be faster than you if I had all my parts on - approach. :D 

66sprint6 and Ashley P like this

1 hour ago, mstrpth said:

slow down now, @JohnC doesn't install parts, he just stocks them.

I'm pretty sure he's taking the - I WOULD be faster than you if I had all my parts on - approach.

Whatcha mean? I just put my flex fuel sensor on today. :shrug:

Disney and mstrpth like this