Disney

LSx Exh manifold bolt repair gadget

11 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Are LSx exhaust leaks really so common that they make crazy stuff like this to fix it? :lol:

Yes.  The end bolts (of the exhaust manifold) break off in the head.   The rear bolt holes can't be accessed very well with a drill, so it's likely to "pull the head" to fix a leak.  6.0s are really bad.  So it's this "crazy" part and 1/2 hour labor vs. about 10 hours labor.   Which do you prefer?

21 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Yes.  The end bolts (of the exhaust manifold) break off in the head.   The rear bolt holes can't be accessed very well with a drill, so it's likely to "pull the head" to fix a leak.  6.0s are really bad.  So it's this "crazy" part and 1/2 hour labor vs. about 10 hours labor.   Which do you prefer?

See my build thread for an example

Ashley P likes this

On 9/9/2017 at 7:09 AM, JohnC said:

Are LSx exhaust leaks really so common that they make crazy stuff like this to fix it? :lol:

Like 100%. I can't say i've seen a single untouched LS in a running driving car that the end bolts aren't broke off. I'm sure they are out there, but I aint seen't em.

Like 100%. I can't say i've seen a single untouched LS in a running driving car that the end bolts aren't broke off. I'm sure they are out there, but I aint seen't em.

I've had two of those unicorns, all the others have been broken.

Disney likes this

What's funny:  The guy with DoD is laughing at a cheap way to fix an exhaust leak.  If he could see the carnage I've seen.... :stare:

Disney likes this

19 hours ago, Ashley P said:

What's funny:  The guy with DoD is laughing at a cheap way to fix an exhaust leak.  If he could see the carnage I've seen.... :stare:

I hope I don't regret going LSx.... :meh:

This DoD **** scares me. :fear:

I need to do the LS3 conversion asap! :panic: