Ashley P

Eclipse

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

^ NASA claims you need a #14 lens.  The auto helmet at work maxes at 13.

Edited by Ashley P

If I'm not mistaken the helmets block UVA and UVB to prevent eye damage in the case of a flash, then a pair of safety glasses under it for double protection.

Seems like if you wore any type of shaded glasses under it you would be over the UV14.  I have a set of UV5 glasses I wear as shades out on boats so I could double up. :lol:

I think Lincoln said all shades block all UVA and UVB.

haha, about 4 years ago me and fam were at the beach near sunset during a partial eclipse.  We had about 5 pairs of sunglasses stacked up for pretty good protection!  (Then, I got out of my ordinary shyness and asked a passing couple if they were enjoying the eclipse...only to find out a few embarrassing moments later that they were French or something and didn't know what the Kentucky I was saying!) (I did manage to get them to put on a stack of sunglasses to see what I meant.)

I'm gonna try for the ultimate photo come monday...we'll see how it comes out.

^ Nice.

Clouds were threatening, but lifted just before totality.  Saw the diamond ring and shadow bands.  The hummingbirds left the feeders and the horse came out of the barn, all to return just a few minutes later.

Still waiting to get my Eclipse photos off my potato....

mstrpth likes this

The pictures are great, but will never compare to seeing it in person.  It was so quiet and peaceful while it was dark.  No mowers or cars etc.

I saw something on the weather channel last night where they did a time lapse in a place that was cloudy.  The clouds completely dissipated during the darkness and immediately reappeared when the light came back out.  Something to do with the radiant energy of the sun causing the clouds to form.

My dog was acting really weird and freaked out last night.  I'm assuming because of the light.

66sprint6 likes this

It was amazing. I was not expecting to be so amazed by it.

Like MIKE said it was peaceful and quiet. Well for like 20 seconds and then I heard gunshots go off around me.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

I got robbed by a cloud mass that just blocked it entirely otherwise I did get to see the beginning partial and ending partial.

I work near the Nashville zoo, the sun was unobstructed during the entire process when I started observing it around 11:20 AM; it was surreal. Did anyone else notice, an hour or so before totality, the lighting was weird? It's like we were in the shadow of the shadow; the sun was shining but there was a dark tint. While waiting for totality, I kept peeking out of my glasses until I could bare the light, the sky was dark blue and the light from the sun was a pure white white bleeding out from around the moon; being able to look straight at it was awesome. This is stuff people used to panic over hundreds of years ago because they didn't understand it.

JohnC, mstrpth, Disney and 2 others like this

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, djoye said:

I work near the Nashville zoo, the sun was unobstructed during the entire process when I started observing it around 11:20 AM; it was surreal. Did anyone else notice, an hour or so before totality, the lighting was weird? It's like we were in the shadow of the shadow; the sun was shining but there was a dark tint. While waiting for totality, I kept peeking out of my glasses until I could bare the light, the sky was dark blue and the light from the sun was a pure white white bleeding out from around the moon; being able to look straight at it was awesome. This is stuff people used to panic over hundreds of years ago because they didn't understand it.

just before totality, the lighting went crazy. everything looked flat, as in no saturation at all. then right after that was that glow you get when the sun shines through during the middle of a thunderstorm. I watched it from start to finish and it was incredible. If I'm living, I will see it again regardless of how far I have to travel.

Tino and 66sprint6 like this

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, mstrpth said:

just before totality, the lighting went crazy. everything looked flat, as in no saturation at all. then right after that was that glow you get when the sun shines through during the middle of a thunderstorm. I watched it from start to finish and it was incredible. If I'm living, I will see it again regardless of how far I have to travel.

To me it was very similar lighting to what's normal during sunrise/sunset.  Some good photographer probably got some shots of something with that lighting but without the long shadows of a rise/set sun angle.

Still downloading my potato pics...

Edited by Ashley P