JohnC

Catalina Wine Mixer Track Rental

52 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm starting to get worried.  Only 3 weeks left and nothing but crickets from the other 34 people that said they were going but haven't paid.  If I was making money off this I might fight a little more to get people to go, but I've had a rough couple weeks.  I might be refunding money soon.

Before you give up, open it up to DR's and street tires?

Have 1/2 the day slicks only and the other half DR's and street tires?

Have everyone bring a gallon or two of track bite as well? http://www.jegs.com/p/PJ1/PJ1-Track-Bite/749307/10002/-1

Just shooting out ideas. :shrug:

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Have everyone bring a gallon or two of track bite as well? http://www.jegs.com/p/PJ1/PJ1-Track-Bite/749307/10002/-1

Just shooting out ideas. :shrug:

It's not the tires that's preventing anyone from signing up.  It's probably mostly because it's on a Monday.  Also three of the people have blown their motors up.

Everyone would be pissed if I charged them $150 and they only got half a day of track time.  We can buy track prep from the track for roughly $50/gallon for the good VP stuff.

And mostly I don't have it in me to fight this right now.  My grandmother died last weekend and after the last couple weeks of watching her go down and the funeral, I'm just mentally drained.

Damn man I hate to hear about your Grandmother, we will be praying for you and your family for sure :o/

I wish I could step up and take a spot on the list but I just cant make it happen.  I could probably come up with some slicks before then but I cant get around getting the day off.  I hope you have enough people step up to at least make a day of it!!!

Matt

We are almost there. 16 people have paid. One or two non facebookers are going to pay me in person. HIgherpowerracing says he has three people if he gets his car done. That puts us at 20-21 which makes this a sure thing.

JohnC, 66sprint6 and Cody like this

43 minutes ago, Mike said:

We are almost there. 16 people have paid. One or two non facebookers are going to pay me in person. HIgherpowerracing says he has three people if he gets his car done. That puts us at 20-21 which makes this a sure thing.

YES!!! :hyper:

Now who's going to help me mod my junk to make it to race day? :shiftyeyes:

Tino likes this

On 10/12/2017 at 3:41 PM, JohnC said:

Wait.. WUT?  I was bringing DR's. I may back out if it's non-DR / Slicks only. Aint got no slicks.

19 minutes ago, Disney said:

Wait.. WUT?  I was bringing DR's. I may back out if it's non-DR / Slicks only. Aint got no slicks.

Sold my slicks and skinnies to 10secL years ago. :)

46 minutes ago, Disney said:

It's always been open to drag radials.  Anything but a hard, track stripping, street tire.

JohnC and Disney like this

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

YES!!! :hyper:

Now who's going to help me mod my junk to make it to race day? :shiftyeyes:

My driveway and tools are at your disposal.  Hell, you can even leave it there till your done.  The GT will even give up its parking spot and motivate it to embrace the quickness and get back running again!

Matt

Tino and JohnC like this

My driveway and tools are at your disposal.  Hell, you can even leave it there till your done.  The GT will even give up its parking spot and motivate it to embrace the quickness and get back running again!

Matt

I might take you up on that!

Will let you know asap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure!  Cant offer much but a flat piece of asphalt (that comes without the worry of staining or destroying lol) and whatever tools I might have, but if its what you need to get it going then by all means!  The garage space is spoken for but Im out there most evenings for an hour or two after work and spend as much free time during the weekends as I can in an attempt to get the 66 moved on before the baby shows up.  

Matt

From me on Facebook:

Ok, you all should have received a refund. Except for Joey and Gary, I'll give you guys cash.

Here is what happened. We had more than enough cars, but Dallas at Beech Bend raised the price by $2k.

A couple months ago before I started this event I talked with Dallas about a rental. I told him I wanted Nov 6th or 13th, we would have 25 cars and I wanted the basic weekday rental with two preps. We talked about extra prep etc.. I asked him how much and he gave me his insurance explanation and told me it was expensive. I said "Ok, how expensive?" He said $3000. I told him, "that's fine, do you need a deposit or anything". He said "No, just pay me the morning of the event". I told him I would get back to him about which day. I'm thinking cool this will be easy to arrange. I start the event, people sign up, I propose the two days and we decide on the 6th. I call him a couple weeks later and he's not there. I tell the secretary to tell Dallas I want Nov. 6th and to have him call me if there is any issue. No call.

A month goes by a few people sign up. I'm starting to wonder if it will happen. I'm a no pressure kind of guy so I don't push it. The last thing I want is some last minute cancellations because cars are broke or peoples plans change. Monday of this week I'm at 12 cars and thinking it's a bust. Then Tuesday and Wednesday out of nowhere 12 more cars sign up. I'm ecstatic, holy **** this is going to happen.

I call Dallas Thursday morning to confirm and when he calls me back he acts like we never talked. He says Nov. 6th is open. Then he asks me how many cars I say 25-30. He says he'll have to write up a contract and figure a price. I reminded him of the $3000 and he says he can't remember but over 25 cars is extra because of insurance. I say fine, give me the total price. 3 hours later I call him back and tell him, just stick to 25 cars so we don't have to worry about extra insurance. He hems and haws and gives me a story about how anything more than 3 cars is extra insurance, then anything more than 8. He can't give me a straight answer. I said, fine what will it cost? Is it $3000 or more? He says $5000. I told him I can't do that. I charged everyone based on the $3000 number and with only two weeks left I can't ask everyone for more money or invite more people. I can't pay the extra out of pocket either. Then he starts asking me weird personal questions like he's fishing to see what he can get out of me. I told him I can't do $5000 and to let me know if that number changes. I gave him all day today and nothing. I find it hard to believe that after owning that track 30+ years he has to sit down a figure up what a week day rental will cost. BS

I've been in contact with other people that tell me this is one of his tricks. He likes to mark things up after he's got you in to make more money. There was an identical track event for next Monday 10/23, and he wasn't charging them $5000. $5000 is what he charges for a Saturday with unlimited cars. That's complete BS.

I wasn't making a dime off this and I'm certainly not going in the hole. I originally needed a minimum of 20 to pay the minimum of the rental. With 24 people (plus me), I had collected $3600. I planned $3000 to go to the track. $150 to have pizza delivered for everyone and their guests for lunch. Since we went way over, I was planning to spend an extra $300 on track prep. I kind figured he might throw some extra bs fees in there so I planned extra on that. I was at the point, that after the day was over and settled, I could split the remainder and refund it. Especially if I got any more cars up to the 30 limit.

I'm sorry I let everyone down. I went from being bummed out Monday with not enough cars. To super exited Tuesday when we crossed 20. Then to mad yesterday when he changed his mind. My lesson learned was never deal with Dallas Jones at Beech Bend Raceway without a solid contract no matter what he says. Google him for more interesting information if you want.

JohnC likes this

@Mike

That's totally not your fault. The guy just wants to hook people in and then fleece them. No apologies needed.

Beech Bend used to be my favorite track. Now I'm not feeling too fond of it for the bad business practices and lack of honest ethics.

No apology needed. Dallas is a dickbag and he knows it. I did however think he would honor your agreement of 3K. Him doubling it just before the event is a super dick move. Kudos on not driving up there and punching him the fleshy patch where his balls once were.

mstrpth, Cody and JohnC like this