NukeWorker

The Bootlegger

Rate this topic:

48 posts in this topic

So the S10 rolled out two weekends ago.  Still had a pile of parts from it.

I only made it 8 days before it was replaced. 

We spent the weekend at Crater Lake National Park camping and naturally had to hit up CL to see what was down that way.  Made some arrangements to look at a car so we camped on the flatbed trailer in a tent at a campground.  Early Sunday afternoon this happened....

FB_IMG_1501442925284_zpsrmbw2f56.jpg

20170730_140458_zps34mjx9eb.jpg

20170731_192446_zpso3w4ycw1.jpg

20170731_192553_zpsntxwdtjc.jpg

So the car was a 400 4Speed but has no drivetrain....but I have the 350/T56 (I picked up a dual sync distributor hoping that solves some issues)  It needs floors but came with brand new pans to install.  Has a posi that is beat and shitty gears.  Already have a line on a 30 spline Torsen for it.  There is a small hicky on the quarter by the tail light but other than that a straight rust free "California" car (came from <30 miles of the state line)

Currently the front clip is off it for media blasting and epoxy primer and once the Toyota gets out of the garage this weekend it rolls in for the subframe to get pulled and go on a loaner rotisserie for floor pans and more media blasting.

So the build plan for this right now is as follows:

350 / T56 from my S10 (will need custom aircleaner base for shaker hood)

Torsen Diff with 4.10 gears

12" B-Body spindles, Blazer Rear Discs, Hydraboost

S10 fuel tank ring added to a repo 21 gallon tank to accept a GM pump module (I have a S10 one with a 255lph pump already)

Carb plate still nitrous

DSE weld in subframe connectors with solid mounts

ZQ8 S10 steering box

trunk mount Optima

I am still trying to figure out my suspension plan.  I am leaning towards some Global West bushings in the stock arms with some drop coils and fresh tierods.  Rear might get some new leafs or maybe just some drop blocks for now.

Overall minus seats and drivetrain it is a complete car.  has a uncut dash, decent driver quality door panels, rear interior panels, all chrome, decent roller tires and minimal body issues for $1200.  Even the front brake rotors are brand new (not even rusty yet)

Ashley P, JohnC, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

Pontiac. :love:  

Suspension on those cars was pretty good from the factory.  Tighter (poly) bushings would probably do great, leaving the tires as your weakest link.

(If you ever wanted a 400 pontiac and muncie, I could hook you up.)

Why swap steering box?

4 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Pontiac. :love:  

Suspension on those cars was pretty good from the factory.  Tighter (poly) bushings would probably do great, leaving the tires as your weakest link.

(If you ever wanted a 400 pontiac and muncie, I could hook you up.)

Why swap steering box?

Not a WS6 car, and there are no lines on the box and it has been sitting for decades open....ports are full of funk.  Might be able to flush it but I know my other box is a good quick ratio box.

I'm glad to see that even though you've left the south, the south hasn't left you.  Yee Haw!!

Ashley has welcomed you into the club.  Your jacket is on the way.  I'm surprised they let you buy Coors Heavy without your jacket (ID).

Image result for white snake jean jacket

mstrpth, 66sprint6, Ashley P and 1 other like this

Nukeworker, just for that ^,  how about you borrow my drivetrain, throw a 200 shot on it, and stomp that prissy Caddy at the dragstrip?  (Can you dump a clutch?)

8 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

I see.  Are those WS6 wheels?

They are dirty gold snowflakes.....that is all I know.

I think it MAY have been a 350 car....not positive though....

20170801_183904_zpslgads1jq.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm glad to see that even though you've left the south, the south hasn't left you.  Yee Haw!!

Ashley has welcomed you into the club.  Your jacket is on the way.  I'm surprised they let you buy Coors Heavy without your jacket (ID).

Trans Am jacket = denim.  Caddy sweater = wool.   Nuff sed. :D

13 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Trans Am jacket = denim.  Caddy sweater = wool.   Nuff sed. :D

I have golf clubs and a walker in my trunk and Geritol coursing through my veins.  But it still runs 10's so I'm ok with all the geriatric stereotypes.

66sprint6, JohnC and Ashley P like this

3 minutes ago, Disney said:

Scraps S-10 over frustrations with the drivetrain. Buys new car to put Drivetrain into.

Disney, sshhhhhhh.   I'm waiting him out for the next trade.

57 minutes ago, Disney said:

Scraps S-10 over frustrations with the drivetrain. Buys new car to put Drivetrain into.

ouch!!

that pos was 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag.  at least now I can pull a valve cover without taking half the truck apart.

Also the Boss wanted a T/A.....

JohnC likes this

14 hours ago, NukeWorker said:

Also the Boss wanted a T/A.....

should have started with that :lol: 

well the front suspension and subframe is pulled to get blasted clean.....plus it fits in the garage alot easier this way.

Once I get the transfer cases back in my Toyota (regeared it back to stock gearing and a fresh set of bearings all around) I will start to tackle the floors on the T/A.

once they get in some solid body mounts and some DSE frame connectors are getting ordered up.

JohnC likes this

Someone has a black bandit TA. I've seen the car at Opry Mills, too. It was parked at Bass Pro.

If you get it as tight as that car, I'll drool on it!

It looked close to this...

F145286120.jpg

Had some of the front end blasted and covered it with some epoxy primer.  Found some old repairs and pinholes I will need to address.

20170818_124526_zpseshdm0ld.jpg

20170818_124412_zpshckseiyb.jpg

20170818_124535_zpswzdo6fat.jpg

20170818_124544_zpsa6sczm3a.jpg

Her clutch went out on her Jetta two weeks ago or else I think it would have floors in it already.

66sprint6 likes this

Hey, I thought this was a dessert southwest rust-free car??   I was hoping you wouldn't have that rust in the lower fenders and quarters....

On 8/3/2017 at 10:47 AM, Mike said:

Lol so awesome 

:roflmao:

On 8/18/2017 at 1:22 PM, Ashley P said:

Hey, I thought this was a dessert southwest rust-free car??   I was hoping you wouldn't have that rust in the lower fenders and quarters....

Still had bussels of  leaves in the fenders.  Quarters look solid.  Still a coastal car and not a true desert car.

I hope your quarters are clean.  However, you have rust in the fenders and it "needs floors".  I'm not a bettin' man, but if I were, those quarters have rusted before.  Whether they've been fixed "right" or full of filler that's ready to pop is the likely question.  I've got two of them, that's just where they rust. (My floors have lasted better than the fenders/quarters.)

Again, I hope they're clean.

13 hours ago, Ashley P said:

I hope your quarters are clean.  However, you have rust in the fenders and it "needs floors".  I'm not a bettin' man, but if I were, those quarters have rusted before.  Whether they've been fixed "right" or full of filler that's ready to pop is the likely question.  I've got two of them, that's just where they rust. (My floors have lasted better than the fenders/quarters.)

Again, I hope they're clean.

I have stripped the passenger side down most of the way working on a small hickey around the taillight. 

Then again the spots on the fenders didn't show until media blasting was done.

JohnC likes this

On mine they rusted behind the wheel and near the top of the wheelwell.  The worst was down low, similar to the fenders.