Accomplishments:

• Removal of decals
  • Packed front wheel bearings
  • Greased front susp.
  • New intake gaskets
  • Cap, rotor, plugs, wires
  • Fuel filter
  • Inspected/cleaned rear brakes
  • Drain/refill ATF (3 times?  3 quarts each)
  • cleaned heater core
  • new tires
  • replaced windshield
  • charged AC, lasted about 1 month
  • new front shocks and sway links

To do:

• engine swap?
  • AC compressor replacement

Edited by Ashley P

Disney, Gammey, I hope to pass through Nashville twice the weekend after next, likely Friday night and Sunday afternoon.   Could I pick up a camshaft then?

Hope to head E on 40, possibly returning W on 24.   Close to either of ya?

I may need some GPS unit to plot my progress (or lack thereof) in order to borrow tools from whichever tennespeeder is closest...

Edited by Ashley P

So I bought this van thinking the engine was shot and I'd have to swap engines, but in the first 6 weeks of the year it made 3 trips to E TN, about 1800 miles.  I suppose as long as I keep the LS engine and box of parts to assemble it then I won't have any problems.  (Other than that nasty piston slap on cold start...)

AC notes:  added 5 cans to empty system.  Compressor noisy.  Living on borrowed time...

Posted (edited)

Disney, thanks for the camshaft.  I think that's the last LS piece I needed, so now time is nearing to get the boys together and make a school day out of assembly.  BTW, very nice shop.  It makes me wanna finish my house so I can clean out mine and work on fenders.

Edited by Ashley P
66sprint6 likes this

Express tales:  road trip this weekend N of Lexington, on the return it ran like CRAP, violently missing/cutting out. It felt like the ignition was cutting off and right back on.  Off throttle it was OK, but under enough load to maintain speed it would act up.  I pulled off at the next exit, Leitchfield KY.  The first sign to stick out was AutoZone.  I pulled in and scratched my head:  with a tune up < 4k miles ago I couldn't think of anything that would be intermittent like that, maybe a bad cap.

It was lunch time, so the family walked across the lot to a pizza buffet while I put a cap on it, but it failed the test drive.  I asked the counterperson if they had a scanner, they had one to rent that he'd let me borrow in the parking lot.  It was an Innova scanner, and when I found it would show live data in graph form, and that the rental was a money back deal like their tool rentals, I rented it for $250.  Test drove, noticed "calculated load" was randomly spiking to 100% as it acted up, I disconnected MAF since that was easy, and the problem went away.  Repeatedly it acted up when MAF was connected, acted fine w/disconnected.  I crammed some pizza, kept the tool for the trip, made it home fine.

I've NEVER seen a MAF cause that issue.   I'd throw it at the man that sold it to me, but he signs my paychecks.   Money back tomorrow, and #$%^& on Spectra parts.

The Innova 3130 scanner is pretty handy.  It will graph data and record/play back which is handy for those intermittent issues.  If it were cheaper I'd probably keep it. I'm tempted to rent one for each big road trip. lol

https://www.amazon.com/Innova-3130f-Reader-Bluetooth-Vehicles/dp/B0713V6KP9/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525881007&sr=1-1&keywords=3130f&_encoding=UTF8&tag=display-ad-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=778a882d57a4350fdd6a68f3772b6f0e&camp=1789&creative=9325&r=0.579031367519125

The one I posted Is what I have and its done great for what I need. now if I could just get my hands on a Tech 2 for mine and my wifes cars

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, KNIGHT347 said:

The Zurich ZR13 from Harbor Freight will show live data as well and cheaper

https://www.harborfreight.com/zr13-obd2-code-reader-with-abssrsfixassist-63806.html

I got a Harbor Freight catalog in the mail today.  The front page has a coupon for this scanner for $159.99.  AshleyP, if you don't have the catalog or can't find one, let me know and I'll mail you the coupon. It expires 11/30/2018. 

Thanks for the offer, but I'm gonna hold off on any purchase.  I'm trying to justify getting one "for trips".  I can use the work scanner any time I want, if I'm near it. lol

ts1979flh likes this