Ashley P

Express Success

Rate this topic:

66 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

Depends on the part number on the cam, but most of the non lq9 motors had the same as the 5.3. They are both small cams so you're just splitting hairs at this point. Pick the one that's in the best shape and brace yourself for the disappointment.

:lol:

Posted (edited)

I figured I was splitting hairs.  I'm gonna pull apart the junk 2002 engine and see if the cam is good.  If so, that's what I'll use.  Low lift is more durable than .600" anyway. :)   

Mike, I don't see any double springs that are wimpy.  I haven't seen these heads drop valves (yet).  I sent my 200+k mile engine in for core, kept the 110k egnine, so maybe that's at least 90k left. lol   I put some carb cleaner on the backside of the valves, they didn't leak.  It was just a quick test, I'll look 'em over closer later.

Edited by Ashley P

Yeah, my wifes 5.3 tahoe is not real stout. I wouldn't want to loose any tq.

You have hp tuners, a tune does make a noticeable difference.

16 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

You have hp tuners, a tune does make a noticeable difference.

I'm waiting until I do a DOD delete in it and possibly a cam swap.  I should download the tune and at least see what it looks like.  But it's fine right now so I don't mess with it.  She certainly doesn't care about the power.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:55 PM, gammey4 said:

Valley cover, pushrods.

Pushrods?  Why? I pulled one pushrod from a 2002ish 5.3, it's the same as all from the 2008 DoD...

Pushrods?  Why? I pulled one pushrod from a 2002ish 5.3, it's the same as all from the 2008 DoD...

Hardened pushrods are a cheap upgrade, stock ones are pathetic.

Ashley P likes this

Just got a minute to pull the camshaft out of the LS and the cam bearings are worn through multiple layers, including copper.  Front main lower is scratched, and crank to match, but no layers of bearing missing.  If I didn't know it wouldn't bother me...:shrug:

Disney likes this

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Pretend you didn't see it and rock on.

Uh, see what? ;)  I put some LubriPlate on it and put it back on.  Gonna look at the rest though, if any are much worse I'd want to polish and rebearing.  Ordered some cam bearings.  Still haven't got a cam, the local one had damage. 

And the original 350 engine has quit surging (after disconnecting the MAF), quit missing (after a cap/rotor), and if it had new wires and an intake gasket I'd be really tempted to run it 'till it expires, saving the freshened LS for backup.  At the rate I'm going, that's probably the best bet.

Tino likes this

Pretty much every LS cam bearing it like that. They don't line bore the block cam bore. They intall the bearings and then line bore/hone those. Brand new crate motors from GM have copper showing. Roll on, big momma.

Ashley P likes this

1 hour ago, Disney said:

Pretty much every LS cam bearing it like that. They don't line bore the block cam bore. They intall the bearings and then line bore/hone those. Brand new crate motors from GM have copper showing. Roll on, big momma.

For serious??  So putting in new bearings would leave me needing a line bore/hone?    That sounds....unlike the old stuff. 

Disney likes this