Ashley P

Express Success

Rate this topic:

66 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Disney said:

If it doesn't have a man pedal, this whole deal is bust.

Fighting fire with fire.  I'll give you credit for that.

(I was looking at Suburbans, they didn't come with a manual.  But I was considering a pickup pedal swap to go 5 speed to ditch the TURDY 4l60e  But the 'burb sold too high.)

Thanks for the help guys.  I've gotta get title in hand before I move on this, but I think I've got the pieces lined up to make it work.

John C, keep it quite, but I'm going turbo grind and twin 76mm.   Nobody will expect the 1 ton van full of kids will smoke their ______.   I plan to streetrace for 6 months then retire.

I've got some spare parts, tsp 224r cam, PAC 1218 springs, Garrett turbo and a transgo hd2. Tell the kids to move to the back on launch.

Disney, Ashley P, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

Van paid for, hauled home, driven around the field.  Oil pressure bottoms randomly, up a bumpy hill especially.  Maybe it's 3 quarts low...maybe I should at least pull the dipstick.  lol

Any tips on removing huge decals/stickers from paint?   

Edited by Ashley P

^ I'll give you $10.   You come here.  After you're done, and the paint isn't damaged, you get to unload as many rounds as you want.

Tino likes this

23 hours ago, Tino said:

Tip- Pay someone to remove them

10 hours ago, Disney said:

Heat gun, Spray Nine, That pee yellow cleaner from Dollar General, Razor blade.

Ha!  You're both wrong!   I came home to a clean white van.   The WIFE (6 months el preggo) had pulled off EVERY sticker.  Kids washed it afterward.  The $500 van looks $3500 now.

And I added two quarts of oil, that helped the pressure.  It's runs terrible when brake torqued, getting insurance on it soon to start test driving it.  Figure it's gonna need cap/rotor, then drive the fire out of it to see what it does.  Trans fluid is more brown than red, smells slightly burnt.  That might need more attention than the engine.

Raceall, 66sprint6 and Tino like this

Surely someone has a 5.3 takeout cam from a non DOD motor.  Anything bigger and you'll need to upgrade valve springs.  An LS9 cam can be had for ~$110, but would require a spring upgrade (pac 1218 $130).

You can pick up a set of "LS7" lifters on ebay for $85.  There are 2 grades, the bulk packed (~$85) and the gm performance ~$140.  The bulk packed would be fine for you.  I'm sure you already know you'll need the non DOD lifter retainers.  They can also be had on ebay for $24 for a set of 4.

JohnC likes this

Thanks for info.  I've got an LS engine that's got a hole in the piston and been out in the rain for about 5 years.  MAYBE the cam is clean.

Regarding valve springs:  I'd love to have the security of dual springs (so I don't drop a valve like so many I've seen come riding in on a wrecker).  So, are there any dual springs sets that are NOT for huge lift?

Posted (edited)

Later:  http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm

Mike, thanks for link. 

Gammey, thanks for the offer.  I wanna check the junk engine at work first.  I'm just running behind.  At the risk of "looking a gift horse in the mouth", what engine is it?  (I'm looking at cam specs now, just curious.)

Edited by Ashley P

Disney, I think that 6.0 cam is what I want.  Price/availability?   How many miles on those lifters?  Balancing cost/reliability....:wall:  

Trade for blue 07 Avalanche parts? lol

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

Disney, I think that 6.0 cam is what I want.  Price/availability?   How many miles on those lifters?  Balancing cost/reliability....:wall:  

Free for both. Unknown miles.

66sprint6 likes this

Don't think you will gain anything with a 6.0 cam in a 5.3, it's the same cam.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, gammey4 said:

Don't think you will gain anything with a 6.0 cam in a 5.3, it's the same cam.

Internets say the second 6.0 cam is the same as the LS1. :shrug:

Edited by Ashley P

Internets say the second 6.0 cam is the same as the LS1. :shrug:

Depends on the part number on the cam, but most of the non lq9 motors had the same as the 5.3. They are both small cams so you're just splitting hairs at this point. Pick the one that's in the best shape and brace yourself for the disappointment.

Disney likes this