Nostalgic1

Drove the '65 today....

18 posts in this topic

So, despite needing an alignment, a new clutch and various other items, I took the '65 out for a little ride earlier today.  I forgot how STIFF the clutch is in the car!  Driving it has motivated me to get it to the point where it can be driven/cruised comfortably.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

JohnC, Tino and 66sprint6 like this

NICE!!!  I need to drive that sucker soon, Im gonna put together a (long term) plan on how to get the 66 exactly where your wanting to get yours and then get to work (slowly) on getting it there!!!

Matt

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

So what are you going to do, swap to a lighter clutch or swap to an auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auto?  Blasphemy!  No, we're sticking with the T56, but definitely changing out the clutch to one which requires less pedal effort.  The current unit is a McLeod street twin intended for high HP applications and is overkill for the n/a setup in the car.  Likewise, the cam profile is too aggressive, so the bumpstick will get swapped.  From there, better braking and perhaps air conditioning.

Edited by Nostalgic1
JohnC, Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

3 hours ago, Nostalgic1 said:

Auto?  Blasphemy!  No, we're sticking with the T56, but definitely changing out the clutch to one which requires less pedal effort.  The current unit is a McLeod street twin intended for high HP applications and is overkill for the n/a setup in the car.  Likewise, the cam profile is too aggressive, so the bumpstick will get swapped.  From there, better braking and perhaps air conditioning.

Ahh...

How about a hydraulic clutch? That would soften pedal effort. :yes:

Installed a mccleod triple-disc the other day it had a real nice feel to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Would a Centerforce dual friction hold up?  Best feeling clutch I had between the SVO and the Coupe.  Pedal effort was soft and predictable and if I could get one for the 66 I would in a heartbeat!!!!  I got to feel some stock 6 banger clutches at the show couple weekends ago and they proved to me that the z bar is NOT the culprit in the stiff pedal issues.  They were both bone stock from top to bottom and felt great.  Mine has roller bearing conversion for the pedals, heims for all the rods and brand new bushings for the z bar pivot and it is super tough at the point of engagement.  If I could just find a pressure plate that wasnt as "on/off" yet would still hold the power, Ide be in heaven.  For you Brodie, that shouldnt be an issue!!!

Matt

"on/off" "too stiff".....what's your pedal travel compared to "bone stock"?   Sounds like your foot is "geared too high"..

My new upper rod is identical length wise to the stock rod, the lower is adjusted per all info Ive found online and in my manuals.  "On/Off" is a bit of an over-gripe as I can slip it normally to get off the line but there is a very very very noticeably stiffening of the pedal when you get to the "sweet spot" of the pressure plate.  When moving its actually quite nice and when beating on it I enjoy it quite a bit but in traffic or when trying to do tight maneuvering especially between reverse and 1st like doing a 3 point turn etc, its tough.  Ive lived with it all this time but if I could get it (and Im sure Brodie feels the same for the 65) to soften up a bit like my old Fox or the other cars I tried out couple weekends ago, I would be able to move on to something else that annoys me lol.

Matt

How far does the pedal travel from it's rest to full clutch release?  How does that distance compare to those cars that you like?

I havnt measured full release from top of travel but the "sweet spot" is near the center of travel of the pedal, maybe a tad towards the 2nd half of travel.  I didnt get to drive the other two cars but the pressure/feel mine has leading up to the spot and after is about the same as the other cars but those cars didnt have the pronounces engagement point or sweet spot.  Mine has had the same thing since the first day it became a man. despite numerous throwout bearings, clutch rod changes/rebuilds and the addition of the roller bearings in the pedal mount.  Only thing unchanged has been the pressure plate.  The new upper and lower rods were made with quite a bit of adjustment available so I could possibly take them apart and try some changes but according to the cars ive seen and all the info ive read I have it adjusted correct and the upper rod is the same length as the factory rod.

Matt

now on these clutches, are we talking about a borg and beck or a bent finger diaphragm style, I do know the borg and beck can be a little on the stiff side versus the ease of a Diaphragm also throw out bearings and pivot points can lead to issues to if the geometry is slightly off

Mine's a multi-finger diaphragm pressure plate.  Ive got a new throwout that TN Clutch put with the package when I got the PP and disc rebuilt.  I also put a new clutch fork in due to the old one having some spotty repair done to it sometime before I got it.  I have the pedals out now and am about to pull the hanger after finding more iffy work.

Matt