JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

305 posts in this topic

The variable cam timing looks like it could create lots of headache in tuning.  Instead of one Virtual VE table, you'll have two and have to have some way to log and tune the changes for each.  You'll need an extremely good tuner to tune for that to keep driveability good.

I've played with cam timing only using the 4 degrees plus or minus timing chains.  Only 4 degrees makes a noticeable difference.  I'd WANT variable cam timing, it's having your cake and eating it too.

The variable cam timing looks like it could create lots of headache in tuning.  Instead of one Virtual VE table, you'll have two and have to have some way to log and tune the changes for each.  You'll need an extremely good tuner to tune for that to keep driveability good.

Texas speed includes the phaser tables with the cam. You wouldn’t gain any extra ve tables by retaining what’s already there.

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, gammey4 said:

Texas speed includes the phaser tables with the cam. You wouldn’t gain any extra ve tables by retaining what’s already there.

So I'm good with keeping VCT?

Might not be worth the tuning headaches and extra fuel cost, but here is a E85 Flex Fuel kit..

https://dsxtuning.com/collections/flex-fuel-kits/products/dsx-flex-fuel-kit-for-2010-camaro-ss-1le

Seen claims of 15-20hp by going E85.

Someone said they lost 4.5 mpg's going E85.

Good thing is, that kit, you can switch from gas to e85 long as you have a tune for it.

Just brain storming here.... :yes:

8 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

If you want to.

Does VCT cam sprockets ever fail? Does it cause any other problems?

If so, I'll just go full LS3.

I'm down for more longevity if it causes problems.

Does VCT cam sprockets ever fail? Does it cause any other problems?

If so, I'll just go full LS3.

I'm down for more longevity if it causes problems.

I haven’t heard or know of any failures BUT it’s not a subject I have looked into.

JohnC likes this

E85 drops your MPG quite a bit BUT its muuuch cheaper and you make better power on it.  Im DDing the GT on E85 till winter comes along and Ill go back to 93.  I love it, car loves it, wallet loves it...and it smells good!  Then again, its super simple to do so on the 15+ GTs.  Just get it tuned for it and your done.  No injector swaps, pump upgrades etc which makes it alot more convenient than most cars.

Matt

JohnC likes this

3 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

E85 drops your MPG quite a bit BUT its muuuch cheaper and you make better power on it.  Im DDing the GT on E85 till winter comes along and Ill go back to 93.  I love it, car loves it, wallet loves it...and it smells good!

Matt

Is E85 hard to find around here?

I think the Speedway down the street has it, but I know my local BP and Exxon do not.

I think you will have it easier than me down here.  I go to the same station every tank down here but when Im out of the area and know I need to fill up soon I Google E85 near me and find stations all over.  There are ZERO in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area so when we went up for the car show I had to settle for 93 but the tune picks up the change and adjust accordingly.  If you have any way to do something similar with your car I highly suggest it!!!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Oh and I went from 19mpg around town on 93 to a steady 13.5 all stop and go on E85.  I have to fill up more often but the price difference still works out cheaper in the long run and the extra ponies make it worth even more.

Matt

JohnC and Cody like this

@Mike or @gammey4

Do you guys think I can get by with running E85 on my stock fuel pump and injectors? :shrug:

Not sure what size pump and injectors are stock on the L99, but I assume it needs to be able to handle up to 30% more fuel volume depending on ethanol percentage (51%-85%).

Ordered the Flex Fuel kit: https://dsxtuning.com/collections/flex-fuel-kits/products/dsx-flex-fuel-kit-for-2010-camaro-ss-1le

Pulled the trigger on the Texas Speed VVT 3.2 cam and DOD delete kit. :yes:

I've got a **** load of work to do now... :lol:

Did you get a converter?