JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

1,002 posts in this topic

I think the trans is done. :( 

Did the reset and no change.

But I could hear noise in the trans when I drove it around the neighborhood. :meh: 

Tim King refresh is $900, but it’ll need more than a refresh.

I think the 4-6 shaft, hub and clutches will be toast.

I also want to do a billet planetary, which is a grand by itself. :baller: 

The 6L80 and 6L90 are fragile if the trans tune is crap or the TEHCM is screwed.

17 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Stocker still around or did you core it?

Gone.

I don't keep the old parts because I have no place to store them.

#TheCondoLife

12 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

at this point, I think you would have saved money buying a new car

Hindsight.... Should have went on and got the ZL1 1LE!  :meh: 

And heck, I got so much in the Camaro SS now, I might as well keep it and race the piss out of it once the trans is fixed.

I'll NEVER get my money back out of this one. :lol: 

This is just parts for 1100hp build; no labor, shipping nor tuning: https://www.circledtrans.com/6l90-level-4-performance-rebuild-kit 

Not having 4,5,& 6 does not generate a CEL??   Surely a factory programmed trans would generate a code with multiple gears missing....

As you mentioned before, transmissions are sensitive to tuning.   A trans to hold a million HP can be ruined by poor tuning.  Who's gonna tune the next one?

No code. :no: 

I can’t explain that one. :shrug: 

I’m going to do a Circle D Trans Level 4 build and go to their recommended tuner because I heard they have a 1,300rwhp CTSV out there living on their Level 4 build.

They also have a red 10SS with a similar build as mine doing good. 

If I ever get it running right, my first callout will be Mike’s CTSV. :fear: 

I think the trans is done.  

Did the reset and no change.

But I could hear noise in the trans when I drove it around the neighborhood. :meh: 

Tim King refresh is $900, but it’ll need more than a refresh.

I think the 4-6 shaft, hub and clutches will be toast.

I also want to do a billet planetary, which is a grand by itself. :baller: 

The 6L80 and 6L90 are fragile if the trans tune is crap or the TEHCM is screwed.

Its most likely the shaft broke. Your tcc dragging like hell let you constantly do full throttle locked clutch downshifts. That breaks parts and it has been doing it since you had the trans put back in.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Disney and JohnC like this

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

If I ever get it running right, my first callout will be Mike’s CTSV. :fear: 

Get some seat time in before that call out, Mike has that sucker dialed in and knows how to get the best out of it!!!  Once you quit breaking it on the way to work and home, get a couple (hundred) passes in the get it ironed out and you will be like him...hard to beat!!!

Matt

13 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Get some seat time in before that call out, Mike has that sucker dialed in and knows how to get the best out of it!!!  Once you quit breaking it on the way to work and home, get a couple (hundred) passes in the get it ironed out and you will be like him...hard to beat!!!

Matt

If you knew how hard I drove that car on my 50 mile daily, you'd crap. :lol: 

For 25-ish minutes, I'm doing equivalent to NASCAR and roll races against myself. :rofl: 

Gammey has seen my logs. :D 

Tino likes this

Your broken parts list is plenty to know how hard you drive it...or how bad your luck is buying stuff that doesn't work or both.  Bummer.  When you get it ironed out itll be nice to see you flog on it where its meant to be flogged...at the track!!!!

Matt

Disney and mstrpth like this

On 8/27/2020 at 8:25 AM, gammey4 said:

Its most likely the shaft broke. Your tcc dragging like hell let you constantly do full throttle locked clutch downshifts. That breaks parts and it has been doing it since you had the trans put back in.

Locked clutch WOT downshifts sounds like a horrible idea. 

Ashley P likes this

You are setting yourself up for another future frustration.  Buying the most expensive rebuild available isn't going to make the trans bulletproof.  A full throttle downshift or a bad tune will kill it too.  Your car should live with a stock 6L90 despite what advertising by Circle D says.  My 100% stock 77K mile trans in a 4600lb car running 140 in the 1/4 should be pretty good proof.  I have 140+ passes on my car, 90% of them mid 10's and faster.  I don't let me car make a full throttle downshift.  I'll put you in contact with a few other locals making as much or more power still on a stock 6L90 if you think mine is magic.

Justin White is the tuner being recommended by circle D.  He's in the video above.  He has the worst reputation among V owners.  Lots of local guys have tried to use him for remote tuning and all end up with someone else.  He's unreliable, he only seems to work late at night and into the early morning and he puts cars on the ragged edge.  Between your schedule and his, your car won't run for a long time.

Remove yours and send it back to Tim.  Let him fix what's wrong and invest the rest of that $6k you'd have spent on the circle D build and have it tuned by James Short or whoever Tim recommends.  This failure wasn't because the parts weren't good enough.  Your trans has the same parts and builder as a few of the 8 second V's.  Most all the fastest V's have the same parts yours has.  It's the tune and how you treat it, not better parts..

JohnC, Disney, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

10 hours ago, Mike said:

You are setting yourself up for another future frustration.  Buying the most expensive rebuild available isn't going to make the trans bulletproof.  A full throttle downshift or a bad tune will kill it too.  Your car should live with a stock 6L90 despite what advertising by Circle D says.  My 100% stock 77K mile trans in a 4600lb car running 140 in the 1/4 should be pretty good proof.  I have 140+ passes on my car, 90% of them mid 10's and faster.  I don't let me car make a full throttle downshift.  I'll put you in contact with a few other locals making as much or more power still on a stock 6L90 if you think mine is magic.

Justin White is the tuner being recommended by circle D.  He's in the video above.  He has the worst reputation among V owners.  Lots of local guys have tried to use him for remote tuning and all end up with someone else.  He's unreliable, he only seems to work late at night and into the early morning and he puts cars on the ragged edge.  Between your schedule and his, your car won't run for a long time.

Remove yours and send it back to Tim.  Let him fix what's wrong and invest the rest of that $6k you'd have spent on the circle D build and have it tuned by James Short or whoever Tim recommends.  This failure wasn't because the parts weren't good enough.  Your trans has the same parts and builder as a few of the 8 second V's.  Most all the fastest V's have the same parts yours has.  It's the tune and how you treat it, not better parts..

Well, it's good to know I don't need to spend a ton to get reliability! But there is a hard parts failure in 4th, 5th and 6th gears, and who knows what that'll cost to replace.

I get what killed my trans; the TEHCM. I don't think it was the tune. Because I plugged in my info in to the Bluecat trans tune generator and I went through the entire HP Tuners trans tuning guide and my tune looked good for my power level. I'll still let a good tuner have a go at it though. 

Tim doesn't do trans tuning?

That said... Had the TEHCM been replaced, it would have lived. But I got impatient and wanted to drive it anyway. Totally my fault.

Le$$on learned. 

I just need to find someone who can pull it out and ship it off again. Not in a rush, though. Already know this race season is a bust for me. I've not made a single pass this year. Sucks. :( 

On 8/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, Ashley P said:
How did you conclude the TEHCM caused the failure?

3400 stall that would pull like crazy when put in gear. The data log showed hardly any slip when the clutch was unlocked and it made almost no difference driving it commanding the clutch to lock or unlock. Techm was also the same unit in the last two broken transmissions. Just a hunch.

Ashley P likes this

I'm sorry to ask questions out of an abundance of ignorance, but if the converter was not slipping as much as desired, why no code for that?

8 hours ago, Ashley P said:

I'm sorry to ask questions out of an abundance of ignorance, but if the converter was not slipping as much as desired, why no code for that?

Have no idea.

I chased my tail until I came to the conclusion it was the TEHCM.

I thought it was the speed sensor, so I had Mike put one in when he did the ProCharger.

it still slammed, hesitated on the 3rd to 4th shift and all.

I thought it was the trans tune by then, so I figured once it was tuned at DBR it would be fine. Nope! Still did it!

Like 2 weeks after the DBR tune, the 6L80 was slipping in the upper gears.

I started suspecting the TEHCM sometime around this point.

Once I did the Tim King 6L90 swap with triple disc 3400 stall, I noticed it started pulling like a Mack truck leaving work.

Two days after I got the car back with TKR Stage 2 6L90, I left work and got on Briley Parkway, floored it and It broke the pump and bell housing.

Sent it off again to Tim and still not sure what caused that failure.

This last TKR rebuild lasted a while. But it was still pulling like a Mack truck and getting worse. It would still randomly hesitate / slam 3rd to 4th as well.

One stock 6L80 with Circle D single disc 3400 stall, and Two fresh 6L90’s with Two new Circle D triple disc 3400 stall converters later, I concluded it had to be the TEHCM since everything else was gone through at least twice over.

I let Gammey look at the log while I drove, and he confirmed the TC was stuck locked. 

My stupid self wanted to keep driving the car once in a while until I found someone to swap the TEHCM out for the new one I bought, knowing it was screwed at this point. And one WOT pull in Mexico too many, trashed 4th, 5th and 6th gears as they're toast.

I think I got the timeline correct. :smirk: 

gammey4 and Ashley P like this

I talked to Tim this AM and he gave an estimate.

So I'm going to trailer it to his shop and let him handle the whole ordeal, tune and all.

Just got to get a weekend off and make a appointment with Tim for a Saturday. :yes: 

Disney likes this

Good choice.  You're also building a relationship and trust with him.  It's likely Rick Crawford might do the tuning.  He's probably the best 6L90 tuner and owns the fastest stock blower/6L90 CTSV.

JohnC likes this

I replaced my air intake a couple months ago and I just got around to dialing it in last weekend.  I've noticed my car shifts much more consistently when driving to and from work.  I already knew that the trans relies heavily on maf data to shift properly, but didn't really think much of it because it always shift pretty good.  I didn't think with all the stuff I've done that it could shift better, but now it does.  I assume I did a better job dialing in the maf curve at low hz than previous tuners did.  I know I spent a lot more time on it.

I say this because remember where your maf element is in the intercooler?  Unless DBR moved it, there's no way it's getting a consistent signal.  If your car is tuned like mine, there's no way it would shift consistently with the maf in the side wall of the intercooler.  Look at having that fixed as part of your next round of stuff.

mstrpth, 66sprint6 and JohnC like this