JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

917 posts in this topic

Car is back. 

Michael's exhaust guy bailed on him this weekend and with LS Fest coming up, he didn't have time to weld in the VBands anyway. 

He swore it doesn't have an exhaust leak, but my wideband on the Bank 2 side is still erratic.

Something is up there, but I don't recall having this issue until I tried to swap cats on for emiss.

I had to wallow the pipe on / in a little with the cat pipe to get it to slide in.

I'm thinking that, maybe even though the clamp should tighten the outer pipe back down, the inner slip in section might have got shrunk inward a little too. 

So every time I drive it a while, I get the CEL with OBD2 code pending.

Until I can get the VBands welded in to eliminate that as a possible issue, I can't really justify the time and money trying to tune it with issues like that. 

The trans isn't shifting bad. 

I think if I didn't have to keep clearing the CEL / OBD2 codes, I'd assume it would learn its way to smoother shifts.

Only issue I see now trans wise is ever so often when I let off the gas to cost / stop, it'll feels like the converter or something snatches / grabs.

So I won't be driving it until I get the exhaust done and a re-tune.

If there is no exhaust leak causing the fuel issue, I'm wondering if one of my ID1300x injectors is screwed up because I recall OBD2 codes lean bank 2 and cylinder imbalance in the codes I got before I took it to the shop. 

Ehh... Hotrodding. A lot of time work and money for so little gain. :wall: 

mstrpth likes this

There are quite a few competent shops/folks around that could eliminate any potential exhaust leaks if that is in fact the issue.  That way your not waiting on someone else.  You car has been down/gone for so long, Ide want it up to snuff ASAP!

Matt

Have you tried a new set of plugs?  Or try moving the injectors from one side to the other.

If Michael says it's not leaking, I would tend to trust him.  It takes quite a large leak to travel back up the header to the O2 sensor.  Even then, it usually only happens at idle.

7 heat range copper plugs kinda become a wear item at your power level.  They can fowl in a short period of time if the gap is set pretty tight.

66sprint6 likes this

On 8/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mike said:

Have you tried a new set of plugs?  Or try moving the injectors from one side to the other.

If Michael says it's not leaking, I would tend to trust him.  It takes quite a large leak to travel back up the header to the O2 sensor.  Even then, it usually only happens at idle.

7 heat range copper plugs kinda become a wear item at your power level.  They can fowl in a short period of time if the gap is set pretty tight.

The bank 2 wideband isn't reading as lean as it was before I took it to him.

It was swinging as high as 1.200 Lambda at idle.

Now it'll only go up to 1.07 ish.

I guess he re-positioned and tightened that pipe better than I had it.

I'll post new video of it later...

A high of 1.05 is normal.  Mine regularly sees that.  It should bounce back and forth around 1.0, that's how the factory fuel trim scheme works.  It doesn't sit rock steady at the commanded A/F, it goes above it then corrects to below it.  It uses whatever correction it took to make that jump past 1.0 as the short term fuel trim.  Look at stft and see what it is.

Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

On 8/20/2019 at 6:09 AM, Mike said:

A high of 1.05 is normal.  Mine regularly sees that.  It should bounce back and forth around 1.0, that's how the factory fuel trim scheme works.  It doesn't sit rock steady at the commanded A/F, it goes above it then corrects to below it.  It uses whatever correction it took to make that jump past 1.0 as the short term fuel trim.  Look at stft and see what it is.

I get they move, but it did not read like that before I f'd up the exhaust.

It read exactly the same as the other wideband you see in the video that isn't swinging. 

Look at the difference in that video.

The car is still trying to throw the same CEL as well.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:09 AM, Mike said:

Do you run one or two widebands?

I run 2 widebands; one for each bank.

My widebands read tighter numbers; both swung the same numbers basically for highs and lows.

One never read higher than the other. :no: 

Trust me, it's not my imagination.

The car keeps pending P219B https://www.autocodes.com/p219a.html

Possible causes:

Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors

Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel

Leaking evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve

Exhaust or intake air system leaks

Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system

Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open

Ignition system Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p219a_chevrolet.html

Nothing but problems....

P219A and P219B kept popping up making the car run like ass when the trans is trying to learn adaptive, so I turned them to not report a MIL.

Then...

Must be an air pocket in the coolant system because I look down and my oil temp was near 300F!

Then the screen popped up that it “disabled AC” to help cool the engine.

Engine temp gauge was near 3/4 to the hot side!

It got so hot under there that the ProCharger window washer fluid bottle popped off the bracket, and my luck, landed right where the blower belt could cut in to it.

Idling in traffic:

275d534998972bbcbc8d85022d4a45c6.jpg

Driving down I40 hoping it would cool it down. Coolant did go down quick, but oil temp was slow.

a58eeaa9c18ddd826f8cc955720e7a33.jpg

:wall:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after Googling, seems some folks had this overheating issue while idling in traffic for a long period of time. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151862

I think next year for summer, I'm going to run a colder thermostat and change the tune to kick the fans on sooner.

I won't do it right now because we're going in to cooler fall weather and the E85 needs a hot engine to help with the excess water from the fuel.

Also, I think this car is on the original batter from it's 2009 build date.

They're known for lasting forever, but when they start to go they cause all kinds of sensor issues.

The dummy battery gauge shows it lower than I normally see it anyway.

It used to stay on the hash mark and it's below it now.

I noticed it cranking slower than normal and that might have contributed to the fans not running fast enough to cool the motor.

AGree. Hot idling in traffic is usually an airflow problem. Could have air in the system and that's easy to address so i'd go there first, then look into the airflow.

Fans were fine but may have slowed down because the battery was run down a little bit from sitting in traffic with ac on max and all.

Blower, headers, higher than stock idle speed probably don't help either. 

It ran cool today and never got over 210F sitting idle.

Rolling it was like 198F.

That's accord to the info thingy in the dash. 

Tino likes this

Got to work yesterday and soon as I sat idle, I watched the temp climb.

It was going above 210F before I shut it off and popped the hood.

The fans kept running on high speed with motor off for a minute, too.

This is an issue I didn’t have before the blower and oil cooler for the trans.

I’m going to assume that thick intercooler and oil cooler in front of the radiator are blocking the fans from pulling in enough air to cool the engine while sitting and idling.

Red Line water wetter, cooler thermostat and programming the fans to come on sooner are on the list for sure.

Factory fans/wiring?  I've seen 'em wired backward...pushing air out the front.

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Red Line water wetter, cooler thermostat and programming the fans to come on sooner are on the list for sure.

If the fans can't pull enough air, none of those changes will fix the issue.

mstrpth and Disney like this

hows the learning going?

It’s got a random stumble going in 3rd to 4th I believe it is.

Might be the battery going dead causing it. These cars are known to have weird issues when the battery starts to die.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, JohnC said:

It’s got a random stumble going in 3rd to 4th I believe it is.

Might be the battery going dead causing it. These cars are known to have weird issues when the battery starts to die.

i'm sure the car is fine, I was talking about you! :lol: 

Tuning master yet?

i'm sure the car is fine, I was talking about you! :lol: 

Tuning master yet?

Not had a chance to read much yet.

Cool thing is, The Learning School already has all the stuff setup for the scanner.

So for instance, if you want to scan the trans, they have the files ready. Just load them to the scanner and go log.

There is stuff that need to be done on a dyno though.