JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

638 posts in this topic

Progress so far.

I replaced the speed sensors in the trans.  Not many pictures of that because I was wearing as much atf as what landed in the drain pan.  John got a new filter and he had a dipstick to be added.

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

As you can see above I welded O2 bungs in all his mid pipes.  I installed the non catted pipes today and ran the one O2 to the passenger bank.  I have to grab a plug for the drivers side.

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

Bonus fix.  The rear section of the X-pipe was almost laying on a cross brace.  I moved the pipe all around and it wasn't going to clear enough.  So, like my CTSV, I removed the brace.  It can't be doing much anyway.  

IMG_3336.JPG+IMG_3337.JPG

And I got the dsx auxiliary fuel pump buttoned up.  Which also resulted in a shower of 93 when I drilled into the tank.

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

After getting all the little things finished, I started in on the procharger.

IMG_3339.JPG

I tore half the car apart.

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

Out with the stock balancer, in with the modified balancer and pulley.  I pinned it per prochargers instructions.

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

Then the blower goes on.

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

And the intercooler.

IMG_3346.JPG

That's it for a long day today.  Still have to put all the charge tubes on, mount the new washer fluid tank and re-assemble the front end.

Ashley P, mstrpth, Disney and 1 other like this

Nice work! :hyper:

Yeah, I couldn’t figure out where the exhaust was touching and the vibrating was driving me nuts!

I thought it was the rear axel back. I moved it around but never fixed the issue.

After moving the axel back around, it looks whack because the passengers side pipe sticks out farther than the other. Drivers side I think is turned clock wise a bit too much too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That might be some false knock as well, but if nothing else it's one less annoyance!!!!  Woohoo!  Mike's moving right along, so awesome.

Matt

8 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

That might be some false knock as well, but if nothing else it's one less annoyance!!!!  Woohoo!  Mike's moving right along, so awesome.

Matt

That wasn't the cause of the knock. :no:

The intake rocker arm bolts needed to be sealed up. It was sucking about a qt of oil in through those bolts directly in to the combustion chambers about every 2 to 3 weeks. I guess you could say it was like mixing about a 1/3  to 1/2 of a qt of oil in every tank of fuel depending on how quick i had to fill up (E85 vs 93).

Once we sealed those up, 99% of the knock went away. All we had left was tip in throttle knock. :yes:

On the Coyote cars one of the main causes of "false" knock is exhaust touching, even if just minutely.  Can be noticed as far back as the tips Ive heard.  Glad you killed your knock AND unbelievable oil consumption issue in one swoop!

Matt

So the question of the day....

Is Methanol injection worth it as an extra layer of safety?

If so, what's the best kit out there for a 5th gen SS?

So the question of the day....

Is Methanol injection worth it as an extra layer of safety?

If so, what's the best kit out there for a 5th gen SS?

Not if your running e85

JohnC likes this

Not if your running e85

What about for those times when e85 isn’t available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here, it's not likely you won't be able to get e85.  But, on straight 93, you should have the timing low enough that you don't need meth.  You have a nice big intercooler, so it should help it stay safe.  But if the intake temps get high, you can pull timing in the tune.

Meth has downsides too, if you tune for it, you have to run it.  It's a fuel source, so without it you will be lean.  Also, your new windshield washer tank is pretty small and doesn't have a low level light.  That means you won't be able to hold much meth and you won't know when it's low. 

Spend the money you would spend on meth on getting it tuned.  I've been able to go low 10's on 93 without meth.  I've run it in temps from the 30's to the 90's and had no problems all because of the tune.

Wait until you pick up the car.  You won't be able to drive it with the 3 bar map until the tune has been fixed up for it.  You'll be fine driving it with the 1 bar if you stay out of boost.

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Ahh, OK!

I can do that! :up:

What rpm does boost come in?

It's not an rpm thing, just keep your foot out of it, drive like a grandma.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

@Mike

Does anything need to be done in the tune for the DSX aux setup?

Not that I know of.  Mine works fine with no changes.  It automatically comes on when you get to 9lbs of boost and turns off when it drops below 7.  

JohnC likes this

4 hours ago, Mike said:

It's not an rpm thing, just keep your foot out of it, drive like a grandma.

Just leave the belt off of it.

Disney likes this