JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

529 posts in this topic

Yeah somethins gotta give.  You will be draining those catch cans every fill up at this rate.  Better than sucking it back into the intake but hopefully there is something you can do about it to slow it down some!

Matt

I was reading and someone said this about the passengers side valve cover:

That line from the valve cover to the TB enters on the air filter side of the throttle blade. 
When the engine runs at moderate throttle or coasting it pulls from the PCV line but at wot the crankcase pressure exits the valve cover into the TB. 

I've checked it with a vacuum gauge, the pass side valve cover hose pulls vacuum because the pcv line is sucking the crankcase but at wot it puts out positive pressure, and I'd assume oil vapor.

So I need another catch can because i believe that one is sucking more oil than the other pcv line.

How I know is this....

When I put it back together the first time before doing a new set of gaskets, I had to cut and install a rubber pcv hose to connect the valve cover pcv to the original hose that goes before the tb. I forgot to zip tie the hose down at the valve cover connection. So after a drive, I popped the hood and oil was all over the place around that pcv. I thought it was the valve cover gasket at first hence why I bought a new set and re-did it all.

Someone else also mentioned this:

As far as which can gathers more oil, that depends on the conditions. For normal street driving, the PCV catch can gathers the most oil. When on the road course, the valve cover catch can gathers the most oil.

And then this:

stock pcv valve is made to work with the vacuum stock heads/cam makes. when you lower the vacuum the pcv valve opens much more, and along with it... oil

you need to run a different pcv valve (some are a fixed orifice check this first), or a fixed orifice such that the valley covers have.

catch can obviously a good way to intercept the oil. some people make them with pcv valves built in

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1646306-built-motor-ls1-pcv-sucking-up-lot-oil.html#post17393543

Just as a side note, I put 2qts of oil in the car yesterday (07/06/18) to bring the level back up.

That tells me the majority of oil is being sucked through the passengers side valve cover pcv, not the valley cover pcv.

I'm going to order another catch can for the valve cover pcv and see what goes....

I wish there was a pcv fitting that would stop it from allowing pcv flow from that valve cover to the CAI pipe in front of the TB. That would stop it if it only allowed fresh filtered and metered air in, not out.

That would make it so the only pcv out-flow would be fron the valley cover pcv.

That is assuming pcv is only supposed to flow in the valve cover and out the valley cover.

Drained the catch can yesterday..... About the same amount as last time with 10-ish days of driving.... Amazing how much oil gets sucked through this pcv system.

oil.jpg

Sunds good.  I’ve got both sides of my garage with immobile cars right now.  Give me a couple weeks to free up dpace and we can put it all on.

JohnC likes this

They will kill any rasp and a tad of volume but wont really touch the drone.  Maybe the slight drop in volume will be enough during the drone RPMs to make it more liveable tho!  We shall see.

Matt

StreetnTrack likes this

1 minute ago, 66sprint6 said:

They will kill any rasp and a tad of volume but wont really touch the drone.  Maybe the slight drop in volume will be enough during the drone RPMs to make it more liveable tho!  We shall see.

Matt

I'll try anything to kill the drone. This is attempt #1. :meh:

Everywhere else but 2k rpm's (the drone zone), the car sounds sick.

Another issue, you can see my passengers side tip is farther out than the other side. Something is off, but the pipe that goes by the rear diff, it works its way over once warm and vibrates on the rear suspension.

It's annoying as hell. :wall:

I moved it like a couple weeks ago and it's right back to touching.

The $1,200 full Corsa catback had an issue on that side where it would, over time, push the muffler off the pipe.

Crazy! I can't win!

Seems nothing exhaust system wise fits better than stock nowadays.... :shake:

I'm going to contact Kooks and see what they say.... Hope they can send a replacement pipe or muffler that'll fit right.

Seems the Caddy CTS-V guys have been doing the resonator / muffler thing on the X pipe and it is working for them.

Crazy setups like this:

20150129_165931.jpg

Plus mufflers! :stare:

Yeah i did that exact same thing to knock down the rasp on my Corsa's and it made the sound deeper and slightly quieter.  They wont kill the drone but if they quiet it down enough to keep the drone from being as annoying then cool!

My Corsa's did the same thing, they kept coming loose and one muffler would start drooping.  I got it all in place where I wanted it and laid a quick tack weld on each joint and it fixed it for good.  I did them where I could easily grind them off if I needed to make an adjustment down the road or remove them for any reason.  I also used some high temp sealant around the high flow cat joints to keep them from leaking and that worked like a champ as well.  Might have kept the mufflers from drooping too but the tack weld was easy enough.

Matt

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I'll check out the exhaust when you bring it for the resonators.  If I can get it all to clear, I'll tack all the joints so they don't move anymore.

Awesome! Thanks, Mike! :up:  :love:

9 hours ago, Mike said:

What they were doing is, taking orders and then not ordering the parts until they had enough to do a bulk order for a lower price from the suppliers.

I don't agree with their misleading customers on shipping times, but as far as I know, everyone who waited patiently, eventually got their order.

And that was cheaper than anywhere else they could have got it.

Not taking up for them. But I'm almost positive if they had waited like us, they would have got their parts.

Still... .If they are setting up a GP, then tell everyone... Hey, I am setting up a GP with Kooks. That's way different than thinking you are ordering something they can deliver and they don't even place the order until they have enough to get a discount. Bad business....

JohnC likes this

Still... .If they are setting up a GP, then tell everyone... Hey, I am setting up a GP with Kooks. That's way different than thinking you are ordering something they can deliver and they don't even place the order until they have enough to get a discount. Bad business....

Agree.

It sucked waiting forever for my Kooks exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 66sprint6 said:

Your good at waiting tho...

...speaking of which...whats the ETA on tuning goodness???

Matt

I wanted a Mustang GT ever since I was about 11. Took me until Oct 1996 to get one. That's 8 years of wanting and dreaming before I got the means (job) to get one. :D 

So you could say my patience was learned through my childhood. :yes: 

66sprint6 likes this

I have the drones too. Car came with BB bullets.. Sounds amazing wide open and love the crack snap pop when decelerating, but DAMNNNNNNN, the drone is terrible.

Most C6 guys go back the stock NPP exhaust. I am going to stick with this because I want to see what it sound like with headers and a cam. 

Measured the Kooks Bullet Race mufflers.

Side by side they will be 9 inches wide.

Length is about 20.5 inches.

Laying the ruler across it doesn’t really help show width in pics.

But I double checked. Pipes are 3 inches. Muffler outer is about .75 inches around the 3 inch pipe. So like I said, 9 inches total across.

a0af8c597e569fc91c31c4c3f0281cfa.jpg

4afa59c93cb4098844efa3b7cf6b7ae5.jpg

4b412078b286099e07394de4937926bf.jpg

a1b570fcdf9e0fde8cbf41fa8d9a2668.jpg

8dbd8110f2e400c74deb5332484fad46.jpg

136995351b8a6acc9b9a839a9aefe811.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk