JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

540 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Brembo just don’t like my sporty driving!

that, OR...Change the pads before they wear to nothing :D 

66sprint6 likes this

2 hours ago, mstrpth said:

that, OR...Change the pads before they wear to nothing :D 

One pad out of 8 was toast.The others had similar wear, which was just to the point of needing to be changed.

I would almost go so far as to call that 1 pad a failure. It seems like it just crumbled away. :shrug:

Ordered a set of Holley Tall LSx polished valve covers: https://www.holley.com/products/accessories/valve_covers/parts/241-111

They're supposed to add 0.54" clearance for high lift cams and after-market rocker arms.

That should help with clearance on those TSP 1.72:1 roller rocker arms. :yes:

241-111.jpg

Picked up the Mishimoto oil catch can too: https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-camaro-ss-baffled-oil-catch-can-2010-2015-11768.html

Chevrolet Camaro SS Baffled Oil Catch Can, PCV Side, 2010-2015

Now I just need a trans cooler...

Tino, 66sprint6 and Disney like this

1 hour ago, Disney said:

Like those covers! Wish you'd had them to start with!!! lol

Me too! Had I known those rockers would hit, I'd have got them. :up:

They came in n today... still waiting on the catch can.

ad847eb543eb1ec6ab97824669e40274.jpg

Will get better pictures later when I get time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disney likes this

18 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

By better picture...you mean installed picture right???  I wanna see if that takes care of the knock issue!

Matt

Yep! :up:

I have knock and oil consumption issues. The oil consumption could be helping cause the knock. Hoping the updated pcv baffles in the valve covers along with the extra clearance and catch can stops that problem.

I have a trans dip stick, valve covers, and oil catch can to install.

Next will be a trans cooler because my fluid temps when driving it hard get a little to high for my liking. :fear: 

Heck yeah man!  Did the oil consumption show up when running e85?  I change my oil more often and have to drain my catch can more often when running it.  Hope you get a free moment soon to toss those parts on and see if they help!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Yep! :up:

I have knock and oil consumption issues. The oil consumption could be helping cause the knock. Hoping the updated pcv baffles in the valve covers along with the extra clearance and catch can stops that problem.

I have a trans dip stick, valve covers, and oil catch can to install.

Next will be a trans cooler because my fluid temps when driving it hard get a little to high for my liking. :fear: 

Did your heads have the powdered metal guides?

15 hours ago, gammey4 said:

Did your heads have the powdered metal guides?

Yeah, powdered metal. 

I read that some LS3 valley covers, the plastic part that seals to the underside for the PCV system, some don't seal 100% and cause high oil consumption.

Also read the early version valve cover baffles have a flaw that causes high oil consumption.

Pretty sure it's one of the two. The valve covers Holley makes has updated baffles. So once it's swapped out, if it keeps consuming oil. I'll pull the valley cover and check/replace it. 

I checked my oil and I'd say it used 1 qt in 2 weeks (approx every 600-700 miles of sporty driving).

Example how I know it's burning oil...

After a lot of driving on my day off, I shut it off at night and the reverse lights in the rear bumper stay on a sec. I can see a light smoke coming out of the pipes and it smells of light burnt oil. 

PCV system on these LSx engine are notorious for this from what I've read. Just google Camaro ss oil consumption and the result is endless threads on the subject. 

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

I checked my oil and I'd say it used 1 qt in 2 weeks (approx every 600-700 miles of sporty driving).

You are just a little above what most manufactures equate as normal, a quart every 1000 miles.........with 5000+ mile oil change intervals.......

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Cannon Fodder said:

You are just a little above what most manufactures equate as normal, a quart every 1000 miles.........with 5000+ mile oil change intervals.......

:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want... But you're just showing your ignorance to the issue.  :shake:

I had no noticeable oil consumption before the mods... Now I have what I consider, excessive oil consumption when comparing the before and after.

That said...

I'm just trying to get the oil consumption down to a bare minimum because I'm getting a lot of knock and I believe it is a result of the aforementioned.

I don't attribute it to the work done. Let's get that straight.

I'm pretty sure it's the extra rpm/power making the pcv system reveal its weaknesses.

So if you spent 5 seconds Googling Camaro SS oil consumption, you'd see the known causes. Once they were replaced, oil consumption went down to almost nothing.

Here, let me Google it for you... :rolleyes:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112367

http://www.rjsmith.com/gm-894549.html

I'll have to check mine

IMG_2784.JPG

You can search for the valve cover baffle issue yourself.... :)

FWIW, I think GM has changed from "1 quart every 1000 miles" to "1 quart per tank of gas".   This takes engine load into account.

Yes John, I've seen some valve covers/pcv cause excessive oil consumption.  Replacing them is a fair place to start.

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

Fair to say, the less oil send through the intake, the better. Now if consumption is due to rings, that's a whole nother problem. But I don't think that's the case here. 

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Roll your eyes all you want... But you're just showing your ignorance to the issue.  :shake:

i know my 07 Tahoe used +/- quart every 3k miles. until I hooked a tuner up to it anyways. pretty sure he was stating that in general, which is not an ignorant statement.

66sprint6 likes this

None of us need to do any more research on why your junk uses oil, you said it does and that needs to be sorted.  You just need to get to the bottom of it quick.  Power and reliability are to be had, hope you get it figured out and can move on to getting the tuning happy and can start having some real fun!

Matt

mstrpth and JohnC like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Actually no, it is a general statement.  Went through it with a friend over a Honda that was using a quart plus every 1000 miles.  Honda stated that was normal.........After a year or so with the problem they finally re-ringed 3 of the 6 cylinders in it.

I always thought it was a funny statement as if normal is a quart per 1000. There is 4.5-5 quarts of oil generally in an engine and with 5000+ mile recommended oil change intervals the math doesn't add up. after about 3000 mile there wouldn't be enough oil in the engine to lube stuff.

Talk about shitty engineering.......who said math was important.

Not poking at you, just automotive manufactures in general. :)

Edited by Cannon Fodder
66sprint6 likes this

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Oil catch can finally came in.

Now to find time to install this stuff...

You're gonna need can of Mustang catch....if you can EVER get to the track.   :D

66sprint6 and Tino like this

Nah, he's only tires and a night off away from putting a whoopin on me Im sure!  Im bout to the extent of mods I can afford, only way Im gettin quicker is with some driver mod and cool air!

Matt

Keep this in mind @Ashley P.....

Look at my dyno chart....

Se that dip after like 5,600 rpm's and the early shut down (should have pulled to 6,800 with my cam and valvetrain)?

I was 442 whp by 5,600 rpm's... I had 1,200 rpm's left on the table where it makes peak power...

I leave at idle, with traction control on, on a street tire.

If I get this tune right and issues resolved, it's going to be a good bit quicker.

I'm not planning on sticky tires and 3,400 rpm launches until I can afford a 1LE or ZL1 iron diff, strong axles and some suspension work. 

I don't see those upgrades happening until maybe next year.