JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

305 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Friday works.  I'm out of here by 3:00.

I'm usually here at work by 6:10 in the morning if you want to stop by on your way out of work any morning.

I get off 6am but by the time I get to your area, I think it's almost 6:30am. Is that too late for you?

Contacted Fuel Injector Clinic. I asked what injector size to get being I'm maxed on my stockers basically with barely any mods, but have cam, heads, and full exhaust to install. They recommend 850cc aka 94 lbs/hr injectors.

I'd make two recommendations for you given the provided information.

The first is our 850cc injectors: http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/IS303-0850H

These will provide you with enough wiggle room on e-85 that it would be able to support into the 650's if needed.

We've also got the 660cc injectors: http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/IS303-0660H

Which would barely be able to get you where you are looking to go assuming a 58psi base fuel pressure.

In my personal opinion I'd go with the 850's for $45.00 more and have that extra wiggle room for future proofing and in the event that you're underestimating the final power goals of the build.

Both options will plug into the stock harness so no worries there.

I guess they know better than I do.

What do you think, @Mike?

I have 850's in my V making mid to high 6xx rwhp.  I would probably be limited to low 600's on e85, but my car has more fuel pressure under boost than a camaro is setup for.  I would also probably reccomend 850's.  If you ever plan to boost it, you'll want 1000's.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I have 850's in my V making mid to high 6xx rwhp.  I would probably be limited to low 600's on e85, but my car has more fuel pressure under boost than a camaro is setup for.  I would also probably reccomend 850's.  If you ever plan to boost it, you'll want 1000's.

Boost might be in the future.

Would I be able to run those 1,000's on my n/a setup for now and boost later?

Tino likes this

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm sure they would be fine.  Plenty of V owners put 1000's in their cars that only make 500 rwhp.

4 hours ago, shaft said:

TL/DR - power and track times?

Previously it ran a 13.12 at 108.92 (stock P Zero's) on that really hot humid day we had with CAI, Catback and working on the tune. I sat in the staging lanes with car idling and ac on the whole time, so the motor was heat soaked real good. Race weight with me in the car was 4,040lbs (3/4 tank of gas). Corrected for weather, I believe it was a 12.7 if I recall correctly.

No dyno numbers nor track times on the current setup yet. Right now, it's only E85, CAI, JRE Scoop, Cat Delete and Catback with home brewed tune. :up:

I've got it running good now, but still have a little more to do in the trans tuning... These trans (6l80e) are tricky as crap to tune. Screw it up, you get rewarded with flare, lazy shifts, it'll over-rev, etc.

I'm waiting until probably late January to put on the heads, cam and all on.

Still figuring out what size injectors, which tq converter and fuel pump right now anyway.

@shaft

This is a slightly slower run on a different month/day:

You can't even hear my junk over his car. I'm the gray car in the left lane.

I was still on the shitty Vararam turbulent heat sucker (can't even call it a CAI) with just catback and working on tune. So nearly bone stock.

I run id 1050x’s in my truck. No issues getting the pulse width down to control the afr at idle.

JohnC likes this

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

@Mike, I’ll meet you Friday afternoon. Text me a specific time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent you a PM with my number and a text.  2:30 at my work or somewhere between there and Hendersonville after 3

JohnC likes this

If your gonna run boost down the road...maybe sell all the pretty shiny parts and grab a blower and make more power now for cheaper...sooner?  I think its cool to see you going old school HCI on that sucker buuuuttt....Ide LOVE to see it with a blower, E85 and a drag radial!  You could have that done in a couple evenings and have someone tune it and be DDing it again well before the tracks open back up!!!

Matt

Disney likes this

49 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

If your gonna run boost down the road...maybe sell all the pretty shiny parts and grab a blower and make more power now for cheaper...sooner?  I think its cool to see you going old school HCI on that sucker buuuuttt....Ide LOVE to see it with a blower, E85 and a drag radial!  You could have that done in a couple evenings and have someone tune it and be DDing it again well before the tracks open back up!!!

Matt

I'll have a blower. But I want to play n/a a little bit first.

I'd like to save for a built shortblock and do it right the first time when I'm ready to cross that road. :up:

That's awesome.  That color is great too.

A guy at work is looking at a '14 SS M6.  I'll get him on here!

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

do it right the first time.......

Words that have stalled millions of project cars the world over......  Sometimes it's better to just do something rather than save to do everything. I scrapped a car over doing this.

66sprint6, Ashley P, JohnC and 3 others like this

Same.  A car that was fun as HELL when I was just tossing stuff at it that I could afford at the moment and kept running till the bitter end.  I then tried to "do it right" (and believed I truely was) and bit off more than I could chew at that point in my life.  Sucks too cause I coulda done that project NOW but not back then.  Lesson learned.  Piles of parts<affordable fun car now.  Now...down the road a little further, I will be able to afford to do as your saying AND actually do it quick enough to not stall the project and then its GAME ON!

If you can have it together, running and tuned before the tracks open up with what you have now, then thats awesome and will run really really well, but I wouldnt wait for a built bottom end for boost if thats your eventual goal.  Ide blow the **** outta the stock bottom end THEN build a stout bottom end...you know, out of necessity.  Like Mike with his V's heads!  Break em and buy better!

Matt

I think part of the problem waiting to build the "perfect" combo is that the goal often moves.  Like John has lamented, the new stuff is faster than we'd have guessed several years ago.

66sprint6 likes this

9 minutes ago, Disney said:

John also knows this all too well. Recall the 4V 5.4 Sullivan TFS Exedy American Racing Parts sponsored purple people eater.

You're never going to let me live that down are you? :lol:

66sprint6 likes this

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You're never going to let me live that down are you? :lol:

I'm not ribbing you on it. I'm reminding you of what happens to projects when you try to jump the shark all in one bite. I've done it. Hell, I had to scrap the whole damn car over doing that!

66sprint6 and JohnC like this