JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

267 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Disney said:

I was researching heads yesterday and had pretty well decided these would be the best for your car. You must have heard my thoughts.

Telepathy, bro. I heard you loud and clear! :insane:

Disney, 66sprint6 and Cody like this

58 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Holy crap Summit Racing is fast!

Ordered heads yesterday and says they'll be delivered today!

And that was with free shipping!

And everything will be installed this weekend :3gears:

Cody, Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

I WISH!  Thats usually how things go around my place.  I cant wait for it to ship, then cant wait for it to be delivered, then cant wait to get off work to get to work, then cant wait to see it finished and then cant wait to repeat on the next part of the project.  Not impatient, just get excited and if I would have to wait this long to put together the car, Ide go bonkers.  Especially with the potential this suckers gonna have!!!

Matt

Cody likes this

So these heads are taller than stock and need a longer pushrod by .300 and my roller rockers need a shorter pushrod length by .140.

Stock push rods are 7.400 long

So if I subtract the difference .300 - .140 and add it to the 7.400 I get a pushrod length of 7.560.

So I need a 7.560" pushrod with .080" wall and 5/16 thickness?

Does that sound right?

I searched and didn't see that size.

So I got to order a custom length?

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So these heads are taller than stock and need a longer pushrod by .300 and my roller rockers need a shorter pushrod length by .140.

Stock push rods are 7.400 long

So if I subtract the difference .300 - .140 and add it to the 7.400 I get a pushrod length of 7.560.

So I need a 7.560" pushrod with .080" wall and 5/16 thickness?

Does that sound right?

I searched and didn't see that size.

So I got to order a custom length?

Wait until you get the heads on the car and measure for actual length.  Custom length are $200 and you can't return them if they are wrong.

JohnC likes this

Definitely measure for pushrod length. You don't want to just start ordering those. Use a stock pushrod and make it adjustable then use that to verify thecorrect length. You'll need some dial calipers that are long enough too.

JohnC, 66sprint6 and Cody like this

I got bored and wanted to install the flex fuel sensor.

Well, the instructions suck.

Basically a pic of the harness pointing to pin #40. But no instructions on how to get the harness apart to insert the wire.

x1-40.jpg

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

This thing has a flaw in design.

The male fuel line out of the sensor needed to be longer to clear the body of the sensor so you can use the fuel line disconnect tool to unconnect the female end should you ever need to replace it.

I guess I'd need to buy a whole new fuel line if the sensor ever went out because I couldn't get the line back off with the tool.

IMG_2832.JPG

10 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Yes...some attempt at modding the thing and in the right direction too...you will LOOOOOOOOVE corn gas!!!

Matt

First attempt was a total fail. :(

My front drivers side coil convector fell apart and I couldn't find the part that fell off. I'm lucky the way it connects to the prongs is like a male/female connection. Otherwise I'd probably had misfire issues.

I don't like the setup as it puts the flex sensor against the main fuel line to fuel rail. It will rub. Might need to buy some fitting to reroute it away.

Instructions lack all the info needed to take apart the main pcm harness to add wire in pin #40 for Flex Fuel.

I need tools to take apart that pcm connector so nothing breaks.

Also need some heat resistant wire loom to protect that wire to pin #40. That should have been included in the kit IMHO.

Probably because I was operating on very little sleep (averaging 3-ish hours a day).

I need a day off to tackle this after I get some more parts. :(

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Hack saw on the sensor end and then use fuel line tool? :lol:

Hammer, break it.  Much faster for commission work!  :)

66sprint6 likes this

Figured out the harness after watching a YouTube video.

Got it hooked up.

Shows like around 9.8% ethanol in my tank with Exxon 93 pump so far.

The coil harness I read has a flaw for 2010-2011's. Apparently, after it gets some good heat cycles, those connectors fall apart. So That's going to run me another $100 to buy an updated harness for both banks.

Short clip. I put my hand on the sensor so you'd be able to see it. Showed the #40 Flex Fuel wire and HP Tuners with Ethanol %.

Will get some wire loom that can stand high temps to protect that wire later..