JohnC

2010 Camaro SS

Rate this topic:

267 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, higherpowerracing said:

Your gonna need more than that to out run Matt's coyote lol 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This won't gain much if anything over what I have, but it will solve a couple problems. :yes: 

Then, we can retune and hopefully get it running a bit better.

I want to do the mods in steps to see the gains on each individually. 

Cody and 66sprint6 like this

This won't gain much if anything over what I have, but it will solve a couple problems. :yes: 

Then, we can retune and hopefully get it running a bit better.

I want to do the mods in steps to see the gains on each individually. 

Anything that gets your iat's lower than 150 to start will help. I'm sure idling the car with the a/c on didn't help but your current intake sucks.

JohnC likes this

Did you order/fab something to hold the radiator snug?  That would be my other concern.  If the knock sensors are as sensitive as Ive heard, that thing moving around the way it does would be an easy fix to try and eliminate it from being a potential issue.

Matt

On 5/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, 66sprint6 said:
Did you order/fab something to hold the radiator snug?  That would be my other concern.  If the knock sensors are as sensitive as Ive heard, that thing moving around the way it does would be an easy fix to try and eliminate it from being a potential issue.

Matt

I've got to hunt down the radiator parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody likes this

Looks like it'll be a while before those headers ship....

The entire MarylandSpeed Staff would like to thank you for your coated header purchase! Installing headers is one of the best, most rewarding bolt on modifications available for your car. They will make a true seat of the pants difference in how your car performs!

We understand this may be one of the largest purchases you make for your car. We respect that you have chosen to spend this amount of money with us, and wanted to take a minute to explain up front the process for receiving a coated header from MarylandSpeed.

In your research, you may have noticed that we offer ceramic coating for significantly less than our competitors. In order for us to offer the ceramic coating at the price we do, we have to work with both Kooks, and the coater to get the best price possible in order to pass on. We do not call Kooks and say “Hey, send a header to the coater for this person”. Instead, we place large stocking orders with Kooks to get the best price possible, and then fill the orders as stock shows up. This means that every week, Kooks sends us a large stocking shipment from what they have made. We then use this shipment to fill orders on a first come, first served basis. Because of the handmade nature of Kooks, and high demand, there is often a running backorder on parts. Based on that, we expect your headers to be here in an estimated 1-3 weeks, and then take a week or two to coat. Again, these are estimated times, and your wait may be a little sooner or a little later. You also may receive one part before the other because Kooks makes headers and connection pipes at different times.

You will be provided notification of shipment for your parts to the coater and to your location as each occurs. We cannot however provide running updates because we often do not know what is on our shipments from Kooks until the day they show up. Because of this, and the custom nature of the coating, we ask that you do not book an installation appointment until you at least have tracking for all your parts. It is an even better idea to wait till you have them in hand, and can verify there are no damages, shortages, or defects. The last thing we want is for you to miss an install date because Kooks miss an ETA, or the headers did not get coated fast enough.

While we are set up to provide the coating at the best price possible, we do have added cost options for faster delivery. If you require expedited delivery, or delivery by a set date, please reply to this email explaining your situation. Depending on the part, we may have some options that can make the order move faster, such as dropshipping from the manufacturer, expedited shipping or rushing the coating.

Thanks for your business, and understanding of this process so we can bring you the best product at the best prices!

I wished I had known you were buying from them.  I will start out; you will eventually get the parts.  But be prepared to wait and not get any customer service.  I ordered injectors from them and after 3 weeks, I hadn't heard anything.  I called and the girl that answered said they would ship in one more day.  A week passed and nothing, I call again.  She says a few more days.  A few more days pass and nothing so I called again and got the run around.  I filed a complaint through paypal.  20 minutes after that the owner calls and bitches me out for not calling and talking to him before filing a complaint.  I told him I called three times already how much more did I need to call before I got to him.  I gave him an ultimatum that either I have a tracking number that night or the money refunded.  He admitted he gets at least one paypal complaint a week and he thinks it's ok.  My injectors were on my porch the next day.

They are a high volume low price seller.  It's just a guy and his wife running the place from their house.  Plenty of people have bought headers from them, just be prepared to wait.  A friend has the same headers that he bought from them on his ZL1 and he likes them.

Also know that the Kooks warranty is not going to be any good now that they are coated.  He won't tell you that, but Kooks will.

JohnC likes this

Well, guess it'll give my wife more time to enjoy riding in the car while it's quiet. :lol:

It took me over two months to get my wheels (from a different vendor) after the initial promised two week delivery timeframe passed. My traction bars took almost 8 weeks for a three week delivery. Summit racing is the only place I can order parts from and get them fast. Hang in there, they will be worth the wait.

JohnC likes this

Came across this post.

Keep in mind those are bare SS. Mine are ceramic coated, so they'll be a little more sexy. :love:

Link to headers: http://marylandspeed.com/kooks-signature-series-stepped-long-tube-headers-1-34-x-1-78-20102015-camaro-ss-zl1-62l-v8-22502300-p-3303.html

Kooks Signature Series Stepped Headers- Gain 10 HP over Normal 1 7/8" Headers!

I have posted about these in various threads, but never really made a post like this because they have not been in stock. The first run of them actually sold 2 months ago based on the posts I made in other threads. Now that they are in stock, and ready to ship, I thought it was time for a formal introduction. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!

Kooks Signature Series Stepped headers (PT# 6510-STEP) represent the best header Kooks can make for the Camaro. They feature 1 3/4" primaries stepped to 1 7/8". They also feature an extra O2 bung for wideband tuning, and Kooks standard merge spike, and merge collector. Basically they are a premium header with pretty much every feature for those looking for best you can buy. Being one of Kooks biggest dealers, we are their launch partner for this product and have the exclusive on it.

What is a Stepped Header?
A stepped header is when a header primary expands from one size to another bigger size over it's length. The size of the steps, and their placement along the length of the primary play a huge role in how effective the header is. With these headers, on average about the first one third of the primary is 1 3/4", the rest is 1 7/8".

Why does a Stepped Header make more power?
The advantage of stepped headers is that they allow you to have the best of both worlds. They have the low end TQ of a 1 3/4" header, and the high RPM HP ability of a 1 7/8" header. With these headers, the 1 3/4" initial primary pressurizes the exhaust gas more initially..then the rest being 1 7/8" allows the he header to flow a large amount of exhaust. Think of it like squeezing a hose to squirt someone. If you do it just right, the water is flowing at it's fastest, most efficiant rate. In every application we have sold them for, stepped headers make more power. Another advantage is that they are kind of one size fits all in that they support applications from stock to 700 rwhp. 

On to the Results-

In the results below, we tested a 1 7/8" Kooks header vs the new Signature Series Stepped Header on our in house dyno. We did 3 runs 15 minutes apart with the 1 7/8" header, then we changed the headers to signature series and repeated the process. Everything was done on the same day, and the car was untuned to remove that variable. The only modifications the car had were a Rotofab Intake and Borla Catback Exhaust. 

Best run of stepped Kooks vs. best run of 1 7/8" standard Kooks-
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1305x676.
camarosigseries.jpg

Three runs with stepped headers-
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1305x676.
camarosigseries2.jpg

Three runs with 1 7/8" headers-
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1786x820.
kooks_ebay1.jpg

Just for the heck of it, here is the same car, with the same stepped headers, but now with an LPE GT9 cam, TVS 2300, and conservative tune. As you can see, the car is making 637 rwhp, which is like 750+ crank. The headers are obviously not a bottleneck up top as peak HP is right at the top of the RPM band.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1684x867.
camaro_superchargerd.jpg

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x665.
6510step.jpg
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x667.
IMG_1462.JPG
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x667.
IMG_1463.JPG
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x1500.
IMG_1465.JPG

What do any resident engineers think about this: 

The advantage of stepped headers is that they allow you to have the best of both worlds. They have the low end TQ of a 1 3/4" header, and the high RPM HP ability of a 1 7/8" header. With these headers, the 1 3/4" initial primary pressurizes the exhaust gas more initially..then the rest being 1 7/8" allows the he header to flow a large amount of exhaust. Think of it like squeezing a hose to squirt someone. If you do it just right, the water is flowing at it's fastest, most efficiant rate.

7 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

What do any resident engineers think about this: 

The advantage of stepped headers is that they allow you to have the best of both worlds. They have the low end TQ of a 1 3/4" header, and the high RPM HP ability of a 1 7/8" header. With these headers, the 1 3/4" initial primary pressurizes the exhaust gas more initially..then the rest being 1 7/8" allows the he header to flow a large amount of exhaust. Think of it like squeezing a hose to squirt someone. If you do it just right, the water is flowing at it's fastest, most efficient rate.

He didn't word it perfect, but the dyno and dragstrip don't lie.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:37 PM, 66sprint6 said:

Are you running a 3" exhaust from the headers back?

Matt

Edit: Yes.

But I doubt I'll gain anything over a 2.5 inch because I'm not pushing enough power to take advantage if it.

Yeah I always wondered if putting the baddest of the bad headers with a 2.5" exhaust behind it was worth the time and money.  In the Coyote world it seems to be split as far as the answers you will get, some want every ounce of power and others run nasty times at the track with cheaper Texas Speed (or similar) longtubes and random 2.5" catback.  Kooks are unanimously loved by the Coyote guys and Ive kept an eye our for a set in the past but Im still debating one of the cheaper offerings if I were to go down that road.  Either way your looking to wake that SS up nicely and get it sounding amazing in the process.  Toss a cam in the mix and the idle will be pure sex!

Matt

JohnC likes this

6 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Yeah I always wondered if putting the baddest of the bad headers with a 2.5" exhaust behind it was worth the time and money.  In the Coyote world it seems to be split as far as the answers you will get, some want every ounce of power and others run nasty times at the track with cheaper Texas Speed (or similar) longtubes and random 2.5" catback.  Kooks are unanimously loved by the Coyote guys and Ive kept an eye our for a set in the past but Im still debating one of the cheaper offerings if I were to go down that road.  Either way your looking to wake that SS up nicely and get it sounding amazing in the process.  Toss a cam in the mix and the idle will be pure sex!

Matt

The consensus is, on the Camaro SS, the stock catback flows so well, the only reason folks change them is 1) sound and 2) they hate seeing those ugly stock mufflers under the car. All the power to be made is at the header and cats in the exhaust system.

The 3inch catbacks drone more and your lucky to gain a few peak hp, if any, but a lot of times you'll lose a little tq.

Only big hp, big cube and/or high rpm engines seem to gain from a full 3inch.

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He didn't word it perfect, but the dyno and dragstrip don't lie.

I won't argue with dyno or dragstrip results, but the "why" is...junk.