Disney

G80 Gov-Lock diff info

9 posts in this topic

So I've completed the LS swap into my mother in law's 1994 C1500. Now I learn it's got a one wheel peel. @matt m hooked me up with a Gov-Lock to put in it. I'm wondering if anyone on here has experience with those. I'd like to know if I should both atempting to rebuild it before I install it, and what fluids you'd run with it and if it needs a friction modifier or not. I could google this ****, but that isn't as much fun as talking to you goobs.

I don't think it's rebuildable or that it would even need a rebuild.  They work on differential rpm.  I don't know what the difference has to be for it to lock, but let's say 100 rpm.  The problem with anything with decent power and tires, is if you are spinning one tire at 99 rpm and the other is still, one more rpm causes them to lock and bam it blows the guts apart in the diff.

I probably wouldn't even bother installing it personally.  It's no good in snow because of the shock when they lock and will explode on pavement.  The only place it might be useful is in low traction mud or something.  They usually send parts through the cover when they die.

I agree with Mike with the exception being that the units are rebuildable (friction discs).

Mike, you oughta see the carnage when a diesel with the 10.5" gov lock lets go.  I've rebuilt two, each costing about $1500 out the door.  (Our labor rate is a whopping $65 too.)   On one I coated the friction discs with moly disulfide to ease the shock when it coupled.  It's been about 4 years now, still abused and still going.

Other thought:  If you've got a free gov lock, modify it to function as an old fashioned posi. 

Or, modify the govenor to lock at lower speed differential so the shock factor is lessened. 

13 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Mike, you oughta see the carnage when a diesel with the 10.5" gov lock lets go.  I've rebuilt two, each costing about $1500 out the door.  (Our labor rate is a whopping $65 too.)   On one I coated the friction discs with moly disulfide to ease the shock when it coupled.  It's been about 4 years now, still abused and still going, still junk.

Fixed.

It would take a fool to pay to rebuild a 10.5" gov lock.  The drop in detroit locker guts for the open diff are cheap.  You can buy a complete open rear for $150 at a junkyard.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-225s10?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-detroit-locker&gclid=CI3Xuszj0dMCFRUGhgodv5UKug

Ashley P likes this

It's almost $500 for Detroit Locker for the GM 8.5". 

It's a 2WD truck, RCSS. 

This looks like a fun design, but I don't see how it could hold up.