Mike

Ram Restoration

16 posts in this topic

My daily driver Ram 1500 quad cab hemi rolled over 150K monday.  I bought it with 10K on it in 2010 and it's been a great truck.  I've mostly just changed the brakes, oil and air filter.  I've never even put plugs in it.  

It deserves some attention.  Mostly it needs detailing.  I'm going to go through the complete polish regimen.  The wheels were filthy.  I bought some of this sonax wheel cleaner to eat the severely built up brake dust inside the wheel.  It helped some.  If I pulled the wheel off I could get it all easily.  Maybe some other time.  I'm going to clay and coat them next.

before.

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

The stuff goes on neon green and turns purple where it hits iron. It smells like sex panther cologne.

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

The finished product before coating.

IMG_2553.JPG

mstrpth likes this

I spent a couple hours each night this week cleaning the interior. It's surprising how much crap accumulates on the plastic and other surfaces over 140k miles.  But the console lid has been dirty and cracked for a few years.  I know I searched for a cover years ago and nothing, but I tried again this weekend and they have them.  Pretty easy replacement.  It's like a new truck inside now.

Before kinda.  I forgot to take a true before.  This is the cover I cut off.

IMG_2552.JPG

After.

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

mstrpth, Cody and JohnC like this

Dang I'm worn out.  I started at 10:00 and finished at 5:00.  Just washing, clay and polishing.  I'll put the ceramic coating on tomorrow.  This thing was filthy and covered in "honeydew".  I had to scrub the whole truck with a bug and tar sponge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

All done.  I used Cquartz UK coating.  It was only a little more work to put on than wax.  It's hard to tell how much gloss it adds on silver, but I'm now partially blind from doing this outside.

The wheel coating didn't show up yesterday so that will have to wait.

Its probably cleaner and shinier than when I bought it.  Ready for another 150k.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cody, gammey4, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

What are you using to polish mike? My wife's Impala has swirl marks all over it that are driving me insane. I know how thin gm puts paint on so I don't want to cut it if I can help it.

If my truck had swirls you would never be able to see them on the silver.  I used meguiars M83 on it.  It's between a good compound and polish.  I used it as a one step.  On my V I used m105 compound to cut the swirls and M205 to polish it out.  105 is pretty heavy duty.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

How much do you charge to detail a Camaro SS, Mike? :D

If you are serious, I guess it would depend on the condition of the car, what top layer coating you want and whether you want the interior cleaned or not.

If your paint is in decent shape, I don't touch the interior and you supply a cquartz kit that would help.  You would have to leave it with me for a weekend.  The coating has to cure overnight in a garage.  I have a lot of spring projects and limited time to do them so making it quicker for me would help.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/CarPro-Car-Pro-Cquartz-UK-Edition-30ml-Kit-w-Reload-FREE-USA-EXPED-TED-SHIPPING-/162404465020?hash=item25d00f797c:g:cUwAAOSwDNdVusC1)

22 hours ago, Mike said:

If you are serious, I guess it would depend on the condition of the car, what top layer coating you want and whether you want the interior cleaned or not.

If your paint is in decent shape, I don't touch the interior and you supply a cquartz kit that would help.  You would have to leave it with me for a weekend.  The coating has to cure overnight in a garage.  I have a lot of spring projects and limited time to do them so making it quicker for me would help.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/CarPro-Car-Pro-Cquartz-UK-Edition-30ml-Kit-w-Reload-FREE-USA-EXPED-TED-SHIPPING-/162404465020?hash=item25d00f797c:g:cUwAAOSwDNdVusC1)

I'm sure it would need some light paint correction. There is one scratch where I think someone reached their hand to open the hood and scratched the top of the front clip (right side middle), too. I won't bother with the interior right now. I'm going to have the carpet thoroughly cleaned and then redyed a darker charcoal gray because the light gray shows way too much dirt. Quote me, bro! :D

I'd do it myself, but I have no garage.

IMG_2198 (Edited).JPG

IMG_2196 (Edited).JPG

IMG_2195 (Edited).JPG

Paperwork shows this car got a 3M paint coating at the dealership in 2010. It was garage kept for 7 years. It can't be in too bad of shape. :no:

All finished.  I did some more coating on all the black exterior plastic on my truck and they look shiny and new.  New dodge floor mats to replace the weathertech mats that I've had in there since new.  I did all the maintenance that it needs up to this point (plugs, thermostat, diff oil).  Now hopefully I can maintain it a bit better for the next 150k.  It's like a new truck and I'm really enjoying driving it again.

We also got my wife a new tahoe a few weeks back and it's gotten the same polishing coating treatment as my truck.

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

66sprint6, Cody and JohnC like this