JohnC

2010 Camaro SS L99 A6 Tuning with HP Tuners

Rate this topic:

380 posts in this topic

I'm a total n00b starting from nothing. I have no manual on how to tune yet. Online, there just isn't much info. HPT forum is no real help.

What does -4.0 degrees timing tell you? Common sense tells me too lean and retarding because of knock....

Keep in mind, I was running Exxon 93 pump with NOS octane stuff that supposed to add 3.1 full octane points, so I bet it's off more than this shows. :meh:

http://www.nosperformancechemicals.com/

-4.0 tells me it a calculated airflow issue. The ecm uses calculated airflow to determine spark advance. You have a little spark knock in that log but nothing extreme. Running 93 with octane booster I would guess it's false knock and it's your burst knock tables learned values bringing it down. Long story short it should be a fairly easy fix.

10 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

-4.0 tells me it a calculated airflow issue. The ecm uses calculated airflow to determine spark advance. You have a little spark knock in that log but nothing extreme. Running 93 with octane booster I would guess it's false knock and it's your burst knock tables learned values bringing it down. Long story short it should be a fairly easy fix.

OK.

Yeah, it's going to take time to learn how to tune.

Without a manual, which I think they should at least include one with the basics, I'm pretty lost and too scared to play as I might screw up something.

I've got to wait until I get up the $500 for the GM tuning manual and AFR gauge kit before I do anything.

Step 1 would be how to download and backup my factory tune.

Step 2 for now would be how to disable DOD.

Step 3 would be fixing the timing and fueling where its screwed up.

Step 4 would be copy the S mod trans over to D, but remove the part where it holds the gear on deceleration.

Step 5 would be make S mode shift even faster and harder if possible.

Step 6, tweak until I get in the 12's if possible before headers, cam, etc.

:D

OK.

Yeah, it's going to take time to learn how to tune.

Without a manual, which I think they should at least include one with the basics, I'm pretty lost and too scared to play as I might screw up something.

I've got to wait until I get up the $500 for the GM tuning manual and AFR gauge kit before I do anything.

Step 1 would be how to download and backup my factory tune.

Step 2 for now would be how to disable DOD.

Step 3 would be fixing the timing and fueling where its screwed up.

Step 4 would be copy the S mod trans over to D, but remove the part where it holds the gear on deceleration.

Step 5 would be make S mode shift even faster and harder if possible.

Step 6, tweak until I get in the 12's if possible before headers, cam, etc.

They only make the interface, no tuning advice. It makes sense from a liability standpoint. Step one should be watch the Greg banish dvd's I have once mikes done with them. Step two adjust for your intake. Then turn off the dod and tune the transmission.

JohnC likes this

12 hours ago, gammey4 said:

Post your tune John

I've not tuned anything yet. Been working 12.3's for 2 weeks now. I'm probably not going to have a day off for at least the rest of this month. :tired::dead:

Like I said, I have no manual. I spent a little time searching on how to tune, but nothing really helped. HPT forums suck.

I need instructions. Guess I got to fork over $500 to buy the tuning manual. :meh:

I've not tuned anything yet. Been working 12.3's for 2 weeks now. I'm probably not going to have a day off for at least the rest of this month. :tired::dead:

Like I said, I have no manual. I spent a little time searching on how to tune, but nothing really helped. HPT forums suck.

I need instructions. Guess I got to fork over $500 to buy the tuning manual. :meh:

I just want to see what your "stock" tune looks like.

You have to do a "read entire " once you open the editor. It will prompt you to name the file and choose a location to save it to.

JohnC likes this

Just now, gammey4 said:

You have to do a "read entire " once you open the editor. It will prompt you to name the file and choose a location to save it to.

Let me see if i can do that real quick....

gammey4 likes this

I don't see what you're talking about. I clicked everything on the menu bar. :wall:

Is there screen shots of what the menu bar is supposed to have so I can follow it?

I'm done with Gammey's tuning dvd's.  The beginners guide should walk you through exactly what you need to dial in your car.  But, you'll need a wideband and since you bought the version without inputs, you'll need the new CAN BUS AEM wideband.  But it's a really good dvd.  

JohnC likes this

12 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

I think I'll be off Sunday

What time are you up? I've got to work, but can probably meet up before work. :up:

What time are you up? I've got to work, but can probably meet up before work. :up:

Usually I'll sleep in until 7

JohnC likes this

Wait, I was tired (17 days in a row of 12.3's+) has made my brain go a bit. 

Mike if you still have the dvd's I can come scoop them from you. :yes: 

Thanks dudes! :up: 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Wait, I was tired (17 days in a row of 12.3's+) has made my brain go a bit. 

Mike if you still have the dvd's I can come scoop them from you. :yes: 

Thanks dudes! :up: 

I do still have them.  That would be easier on me.  I'm not sure I can make it back to gammey's house by Sunday.

JohnC likes this

I do still have them.  That would be easier on me.  I'm not sure I can make it back to gammey's house by Sunday.

That's fine. The only reason I wanted to give them personally to John is so I could show him how to get his tune.

JohnC likes this

Awesome! When can we meet up, @Mike?

I'm working all weekend, so I'll have to either drop in after work early in the morning or leave early before work and drop in after noon.