JohnC

2010 Camaro SS L99 A6 Tuning with HP Tuners

Rate this topic:

368 posts in this topic

PLEASE PERMIT WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!  You gonna try to hit the track or tune it on the street?  Either way, I look forward to seeing it ironed out and doing the best with what it has so you can get a sort of baseline out of it till your parts come in.

Matt

11 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

PLEASE PERMIT WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!  You gonna try to hit the track or tune it on the street?  Either way, I look forward to seeing it ironed out and doing the best with what it has so you can get a sort of baseline out of it till your parts come in.

Matt

Will definitely do some WOT at the track. :yes: 

Loaded stock tune and logged because that is all it would let me do.

It lost a lot of our original setup....

Screwy_Log.hpl

Ok square me away with where you're at right now:

1. Completely stock tune back in it?

2. Is it still saying the car isn't licensed (asking for credits)?

3. Aem wideband is it finding one or two?

Sorry, had to take a break.

I wasted two more credits to get my edited tune in the car.

I now have the tune I had before with stock MAF curve so we can start tuning from there.

It will only find 1 AEM wideband.

BTW, don't know how or why, but the HPT update totally wiped out our VCM Scanner setup. LTFT+STFT and all that :wall:

I'm pissed to say the least. :livid:

After digging through multiple forums and threads, 19 pages later in this thread and I find how to setup the 2nd sensor.

Just a note. You have to change the ECU ID and the PID for the 2nd unit, using the Gauge UI.
The default for the #1 unit is PID $24 & ECU ID $7E6
To set up a 2nd channel, set the PID to $25 and the ECU to $7E7

I think AEM changes the ECU ID display to just show 1..7 instead of 07E1 .. 07E7

After I setup that, how do I create a graph of gauge?

How to use it to get fueling errors like LTFT+STFT?

Remember, the last update erased everything we had setup in the scanner, so I'm starting all over again. :wall:

After digging through multiple forums and threads, 19 pages later in this thread and I find how to setup the 2nd sensor.

Just a note. You have to change the ECU ID and the PID for the 2nd unit, using the Gauge UI.
The default for the #1 unit is PID $24 & ECU ID $7E6
To set up a 2nd channel, set the PID to $25 and the ECU to $7E7

I think AEM changes the ECU ID display to just show 1..7 instead of 07E1 .. 07E7

After I setup that, how do I create a graph of gauge?

How to use it to get fueling errors like LTFT+STFT?

Remember, the last update erased everything we had setup in the scanner, so I'm starting all over again. :wall:

I will send you everything when I get home from work. But it will be the same as making the ltft+stft graph, choose afr error math as the parameter and for the row select the maf sensor and copy and paste the labels from your tune. If your using the wideband turn off your ltft's and stft's.

Does that HPT software save the channels.xml and use that to remember the setup?

Because if so, that might be why the settings got lost in the update. The channels.xml file I saved got erased.

I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.... :meh:

Dude! Followed these steps and recovered my Channels and all!

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?51354-How-To-quot-Properly-quot-Use-Shared-Config-Files

Ok so here's the explanation... There are TWO different "config" files for the HPT Scanner program. I honestly have no idea why they would be named the same since it's kind of confusing because they do slightly different things. So go back to your HPTuner folder and look in the "Settings" folder. In there you will find actually three "config" files, "VCM Scanner", "VCM Editor" and "VCM Suite". "VCM Scanner" is the one that sets the configuration for THE WHOLE SCANNER PROGRAM. This is a file that is automatically updated whenever you make any changes to the scanner's settings. This is a universal config file that saves the settings for the font colors, font sizes, what's in the Table Display, Chart Display, Gauge Display, the size of the scanner window itself, how zoomed in you are, etc, etc. In other words, all of the custom tweaks you have done to your HPTuners Scanner program is saved in that config file.

So here is something important about that file. If you delete it, it will generate another "VCM Scanner" config file the next time you start up the scanner program. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! If you delete the config file you have in there and it makes another one when the program is started, IT WILL BE ALL DEFAULT SETTINGS. All that time you spent setting up your custom scanner will be gone. Which is why this is important to know, if you want to make sure you don't lose your custom scanner settings, or want to move those settings to another computer, you'll need to know about this file and back it up somewhere.

So here's what I do... I take that config file and copy it from the "Settings" folder and then paste it onto my desktop. I then rename it something else like "VCM Scanner LNF.cfg". Now it's backed up and saved. If you want to put it back in and use those settings, drag it into the "Settings" folder. Before you change the name back, remove the old config file from the folder. Then remove the "LNF" part of the file name SO IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME NAME AS THE DEFAULT CONFIG FILE. This is a file that HAS to be named "VCM Scanner.cfg" or the scanner program will not recognize it and use it. 

Disney likes this

New log with AFR's

AFR.Layout.xml

Channels_07_10_17.Channels.xml

Log_07_10_17.hpl

Still having that issue of the LTFT+STFT disappearing data.

I still think the software update hosed it. It worked fine before the update and my settings have not changed.

Ltft's and stft's should be turned off if your going to be using your widebands. I'll look at everything else when I get home.

JohnC likes this

How does this look?

HOW TO: Setup AFR / Lambda ERROR Graphs vs. VE Table (non Virtual VE Vehicles)

This is meant to serve as a basic how-to for setting up an AFR or Lambda ERROR graph (histogram) for vehicles with regular VE tables (i.e. not virtual VE). 

This assumes you already have your wideband working properly....

---------------------------------

First go to the Graphs tab. If you don't have a Graphs tab, go to layout, add to layout, graph. Right click in the graph, select graph layout
601.png

We want to add a new table.. select the graph icon with the + on it and select Add Table
602.png

New blank graph is added
603.png

Click on "click to insert or change" beside parameter at the top. Go down to the Lambda & AFR list and find EQ Ratio error OR AFR ERROR. I'm not 100% sure on this one but I THINK it depends on what units your wideband is setup to read. Mine is setup to lambda and the EQ Ratio Error parameter works. AFR error does not. If one doesn't work, try the other....

Double click on EQ ratio error or AFR error
604.png

Back to the layout editor, click "click to insert or change" beside parameter for the column axis.
605.png

Couple steps at once here.. type manifold absolute in the text box at the top of the parameter selector, hit the gear icon with green check mark (filters out stuff you can't use) and double cilck on whatever MAP pressure parameter is left that you can use..
606.png

You'll probably get a box about using a generic sensor. Generic sensors are good. Hit yes
607.png

Alright, now we need to match the labels up with the labels in your tune. Go to VCM Editor and open your tune. Open the primary VE table. Right click inside it, go to column axis and click on copy labels
608.png

Paste these into the "values" section for the column axis
609.png

Next is the row axis.. very similiar process. Click on "click to insert or change" in the row axis section, type in engine rpm, hit the gear icon, double click on parameter that is left. If you get a generic sensor box hit yes.
610.png

Here's what it should look like at this point
611.png

Now you need the labels for the row axis. GO back to VCM editor and go to your primary VE table. Right click, Row Axis, Copy labels
613.png

Back to Scanner.. paste these values into the "Values" section for Row Axis
614.png

Ta-da
615.png

Next I usually setup some colors for different values to make it easy to see, maybe add some minimum cells required while you're at it. You can set this to 0 at first if you want then change it later after you make sure everything is working
616.png

And there you go.. you have a working wideband Error graph/histogram 
617.png

BUT... what about boost you say? I didn't forget that part. There are two ways to do this. You can either have a "regular VE" chart and a "boost VE" chart or you can do one big one that includes both.

Go back to layout editor (right click in a graph, click layout editor). Go to the Graph you just created. click on the graph button with the "=" sign on it. That will clone your current graph.. Rename one of them to something like "WB BOOST VE ERROR" 
618.png

Go back to VCM editor.. this time open up the BOOST VE table. Right click, column axis, copy labels
619.png

Back to Scanner..d elete out the "Values" for the column axis section. Paste the boost VE table values in here.. 

Now you have a regular and boost VE WB error chart. If you want to make one BIG chart instead of two small ones.. you can do that too
620.png

Go to the "boost" VE chart you just made. Select the "values" for in the column section (skip the first value). Right click and hit copy
621.png

You can either make a copy of your "regular" WB VE Error" graph or you can just change the original one. Here I used a copy. Go to the Column axis section and paste the boost VE table values in after the regular ones. You should end up with something like this: 
622.png

And ta-da here's what you end up with. Looks like I'm going a little lean, oops! (side note: The really negative numbers are mainly from deceleration and DFCO, those can be filtered out but we're not going into that right now.)
623.png

Enjoy!

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?55917-HOW-TO-Setup-AFR-Lambda-ERROR-Graphs-vs-VE-Table-(non-Virtual-VE-Vehicles)

What is the advantage to using Lambda instead 14.7:1 type AFR?

You have a virtual ve table. Tuning in lambda takes the fuel type out of the equation and gives you a easy correction factor. Say you are targeting 1.0 but you actually have .95 on your wideband add 5 percent.

JohnC likes this

Add mass air flow frequency to your channels and log please. You use that to do a afr error graph.

JohnC likes this

Reset LTFT and turned off learned LTFT. But the Deceleration Fuel shutoff is on.

Log_07_13_17_9F.hpl

Any time off in the near future? Maf response looks really good now but the curve needs tweaked obviously. Wot it's way off but the "raping" I did to your pe table has it running right about where it should be.

I'll let you know shortly when I'm off again.

So do I need to tune the MAF curve like we did before to the Vararam?

What else needs done to get the WOT right.

Was reading what a tuner did on a 2010. Dyno showed he picked up as much as 30hp/30tq in some areas of the curve.

We change fuel and spark obviously at WOT. IAT timing pull tables are modified to reduce IAT heat soak timing pull. This table is overly conservative on these Camaros, worst I have seen yet. This is not a PE tune, for those of you who know what I mean. Commanded and actual AFR is equal to each other. The MAF transfer function is modified to make Lambda equal 1. The power enrichment switch point is modified, enrichment rate is dialed in and PE delays are modified so that the WOT hit is much more crisp and responsive than stock. Timing is tuned to MBT ( max brake torque) throughout the rpm range. Engine torque management is removed so that the pedal position will equal the throttle position. Burst knock retard is managed better, again to greatly improve throttle response. Speed limiters are raised.

Transmission wise, there are a number of things going on there, but one of them is reducing transmission torque management, managing shift points and the dynamics of the actual shift. The new control system that goes with the A6 is wonderful and very tunable. Just ask anyone who has an A6 tune from modern muscle, it is an amazing new transmission. I personally own a G8 w/ the A6 and the thing shifts like an F1 car. 

It's just a conservative calibration. Torque management exist primarily due to extending drivetrain longevity. The spark and fuel calibrations are just conservative and safe for whatever variations may occur in manufacturing a vehicle in great numbers. Many of the things that we calibrate are modifiers that are simply overly conservative. There are spark routines that pull spark in anticipation of detonation, but really in situation where it would not occur. Using our extensive experience with these powerplants, we know where we can set these parameters that drastically improve the response and driveability, but still maintain a very safe tune.

I'll let you know shortly when I'm off again.

So do I need to tune the MAF curve like we did before to the Vararam?

What else needs done to get the WOT right.

Yeah just the maf curve needs tuned to get the fueling right for now. We will do the vve table after the maf.

JohnC likes this