Ashley P

The old Goat

Rate this topic:

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Starting at the beginning: 

This car was purchased for $2875 in Feb of 66 by my dad and his dad.  My dad had just got back from Vietnam, and he put down about $600 while his dad paid the rest.  It was his daily driver and from the stories of folks who knew him then, he had fun with it.  It turned into the family daily driver with 3 boys in the back with him doing all repairs on it to keep it going.  He put a LeMans 350 engine in after the 389 got knocky at 140k, but the car and his shifting still could put my heart in my throat in the RARE event that he put it over 1/10 throttle and went WOT.  He skipped 2nd gear almost every time he drove it to "save it for when I need it".  And I'd wash and detail that car for fun when I was a child (even coloring the Wide Oval lettering on the rear tires with a piece of chalk once.)

He had painted the car multiple times, but by 1992 it was needing another coat.  I offered to paint it.  I took the front cap, doors, glass, and decklid off and sand blasted it all.  Lots of Bondo and laquer later, and by 1994 I was done. From Candle Light Cream (very light yellow) to black, he liked it.  A few years later I bought a 69 GTO and drove the FIRE out of it for 10 months and 26k miles until I parked it upside down.  I put that engine in his car so that it could have some factory umph.   The good thing was that since I'd painted it and it had my engine, I could borrow it most any time I wanted.:3gears:

About this time 15 years ago he was sick with cancer, resting in bed.  I asked to borrow it and he said "you can have it".  I thought I misunderstood, but he clarified and I asked "you do want it, don't you?"  Yes, but I can't take your car.   "Take it."  Thanks.  And I took my would be wife out for the first time (almost scared her away with too much tire spin).  I'd only driven it a time or two in the next couple weeks and he asked why not and told me to drive it.  He died 3 weeks after giving it to me.

I drove it on pretty weekends, but since having more than 3 kids we couldn't all go in it, and it got left at home a lot.  I was telling Jeff the other day how much it had gone downhill just sitting so much over the last several years.  Little did I know.... lol

This is some of the aftermath of the wind vs shed vs GTO.  Maybe a moderator can tie some other posts here.   Maybe I can find a second third tenth wind and get things around the house (OK, THE house) done so I can move this car back onto a burner.

large.DSC01485.JPG

large.DSC01465.JPGlarge.DSC01464.JPGlarge.DSC01482.JPGlarge.DSC01481.JPG

Edited by Ashley P
Cody and mstrpth like this

Mrs. Raceall cried when I told her about it, Ashley.  If you need a place to store it, we can clean out a spot in my "big" garage.  While it is just a thing, it's also a hard blow when something happens to a thing that holds sentimental value and family connection.  As to repair, it doesn't look like anything that Mychal can't handle. ;-)

JohnC and Cody like this

I wedged it into my shed.  More construction supply/debris removal and I'll have plenty of room.  Thanks anyway.

The ball got rolling yesterday when insurance was notified.  I've got some "stated value" "full coverage" on it for "< 7500 miles/year".  However, I expect them to weasel out of any coverage.  Maybe I'm just trying to not raise my hopes.  We'll see how that goes.

4 minutes ago, Disney said:

Seems like Homeowners would cover that.

Well, from my past dealings debating policies with insurance folks, car stuff is it's own animal.  My barn and contents used to be insured, but contents specifically excluded anything automotive.  What is the barn full of?  Car parts, of course.

33 minutes ago, Raceall said:

Sometimes insurance companies will surprise you.

They have ALWAYS surprised me.  But nott once in a good way (yet).

If you guys look in the above pic of the R quarter panel you can see the dent the roof caused.  Look at the reflection of the red wagon that looks pinched in the middle. That's how much tweaking that hit caused. I'd guess a couple hundred more pounds would have caused catastrophic damage.

Get those guy that lifted you house to come back over.  They'll get that squared right up.

I've always heard the agreed value policy's are pretty trouble free to get paid.  I just hope they don't want to total the car.

Ashley P likes this

Just talked to an insurance rep.  He seemed to home in on the  "must be kept behind 4 walls under lock" part of the policy.   I figured that would be their out.  He's "going to look for riders to allow that" and get back with me soon.   I think that's to let me down easy. :rolleyes:

It wasn't vandalized.

I can't see how that matters when the walls are the thing that crushed it...or roof, but you get what I'm saying.

Posted (edited)

^ I get exactly what you are saying.  Yesterday I told the agent that if the building would have had walls then a wall/door would have done MORE damage to the car.  He countered with walls/door might have kept hail/ect off.  If I'm denied because of walls/locked door I'm gonna throw out hypothetical of "so if the UNlocked doored building fell on the car, is there no coverage because the lock was unlocked?"   If that's the way they play, I'm done with them.

I know that by the "letter of the law" the company is off the hook.  The "spirit" of the law is another matter.  If I'd had it at my house, and put a locked door to enclose it in, I suppose it would be covered.  However, with the rather large oaks that surround that parking area, I think the company would rather it be where it was.  I know during the ice storm in 09 I put the car in the middle of my yard to get iced over while large limbs fell on and around that "shed".

My goal is to protect the car as best as I reasonably can.  It would be nice to have a company/policy/agent that could understand that I'm probably one of their best customers.  (Never had a claim on anything in my life, almost never drive the car in twilight or darker, in rain, when deer are moving, ect because I'd MUCH rather not have problems than to even have a problem that's insured.)

Edit:  Yesterday the agent did see that I'd been with that company for a while with no claims, that's thing in my favor. 

Edited by Ashley P
mstrpth, Cody and JohnC like this

Urgh. The more I look the deeper the wounds.  The doors don't open like they used to.   And the roof  started to pull away from the driver A pillar also.

On 3/1/2017 at 1:03 PM, Mike said:

Get those guy that lifted you house to come back over.  They'll get that squared right up.

I thought I replied "No thanks. Those guys could dent the Army truck frame." 

Call Craig at AMD. He's got Dad's '67 right now doing pans and quarters.  Don't ask me about price because I have no idea.  I don't know if Dad would tell me the truth or not, probably hiding some of the cost from my stepmother. :lol:

The other day the insurance man said he'd call me back in a while, "25 minutes" was a figure he threw out.   Yesterday in the mail came a notice of denial from him.   I expected that, as I did not follow the letter of the policy.

After reading the sections of the policy he sent me, I see an insurance "way out" of about every issue I could have.  Even the "garage facility" is defined as a locked building that keeps out the elements.  So, technically, a collapsed locked building that leaks rain onto the car would not be the "garage facility" specified.  And limited "pleasure use" excludes driving "to or from work".  I told my wife they must not understand what driving the Goat is all about! 

I can't complain, I'm literate and was basically using the policy for a cheap liability policy so I could drive it once in a while.  Shame I only put 6 miles on it since July.

So, I'm gonna cancel my useless policy and request a refund from the time the agent said he'd call me back. 

Moral of the story:  Read your policy from the perspective of an agent looking to get out of everything.

66sprint6 likes this

I love my Insurance co and mainly my insurance agent.  Hes a good guy and always does me right which makes me HATE seeing crap like this.  I hope that you can put together what you need to get the ole GTO back up to snuff without em!

Matt

^ Looking for some old books about sheet metal work is the start of the "back up to snuff" list.  I think I've got a few from my days painting that car.  At least the damaged areas are rust free and good ole American steel.  Side note, the bare metal exposed where the roof creased was shiny and clean.  I had wondered how my lacquer primer had done with such a long exposure to wet sanding (I took a long time painting it), but apparently the paint adhesion and protection were "perfect".

JohnC, Cody and 66sprint6 like this