djoye

Bought a 2017 STi

16 posts in this topic

Had my WRX for sale for about 2.5 weeks before I started looking at new cars with no intention of having the WRX sold anytime soon; I started looking at new cars Wednesday of last week, decided what I wanted by Thursday night, had two serious buyers talking to me Friday afternoon, one of which drove a couple hundred miles to look and then purchase the car Saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon I picked up a new 2017 STi.

I was really thinking I was going to pick up another WRX until I drove one. I remember when my '03 WRX was stock, you could slightly hear the engine, the clutch felt good, the transmission was notchy, the suspension... left a bit to be desired... understeer was always a problem since I never replaced the sway bars, it was fast but the turbo ran out of steam in the upper RPMs. 2015-up WRXs use a newer 2.0L direct injection engine with a twin-scroll turbo, I go in thinking that a twin-scroll turbo should broaden the power band but I'm concerned about carbon buildup due to direct injection.

This is what turned me off of a WRX:
- Carbon buildup is a problem on these, I'd have to remove the EGR system to alleviate that (I'd rather not have to tamper with a new car)
- Power band is narrow; sluggish throttle response at higher RPMs. You get this huge torque spike at 2-3k RPMs and it's all downhill from there.
- Shifter felt too mushy
- Clutch engaged too late although I think that can be adjusted
- Absolutely too quiet, no engine/exhaust noise audible in the vehicle

I didn't take the WRX far so I'm not sure about how well it handles, it didn't feel terribly soft or floaty but I didn't test it for understeer. The WRX is basically the car your mom buys because she wants something speedy but not noisy or rugged. After driving the '17 WRX, I drove home in my '03 WRX feeling confident that my engine was still very healthy and how nice it was to be able to have a decent throttle response well past 4k RPMs. When I got home, I called the my salesman and told him I was coming back the next day to drive an STi.

Everything I liked about the STi is the opposite of what I wrote above about the WRX.
- Same ol' 2.5L engine they've been using for years, but I don't need to worry about carbon buildup
- Throttle feels responsive throughout the RPM range, enough so that there's no need to downshift while passing on the interstate
- Shifter feels notchy enough to know where you're stickin' it
- Clutch engages soon after releasing the pedal
- Enough noise for what you would expect from a stock exhaust on a sports car

I'm still getting used to the handling since it appears to be well-balanced; I've tested it for understeer and, while I'm turning the wheel and applying throttle, it seems to want to actually turn instead of go straight so that's a good sign. Overall, I'm very happy with the car and I'm very excited to be able to open the garage door using a button on the mirror. The wing is a bit extreme but I've gotten used to it.

WRX STi Purchase.jpg

JohnC, Tino, mstrpth and 4 others like this

On 1/28/2017 at 7:04 AM, JohnC said:

Congrats, mang! :up:

Love those WRX STI's! :yum:

BTW, sounds like your STI will run with my SS. Track meet? :yes:

Maybe. I saw that you bought a Camaro, kinda surprised.

This STi has some get-up-and-go, but my old car has around 40HP on it and, with the old WRX, I could definitely be more of a bully navigating around traffic on the interstate (not that I was an asshole, I just didn't have a problem accelerating when I was already moving over 70MPH). The STi has a few driving modes that range from economy to high-performance, it gets torque-y down low and I've been able to break it loose on dry pavement and slide a little even without sending more torque to the rear, it does still feel responsive at interstate speeds, but I'm not convinced that it has enough top-end power to really hang with larger engines. I give it a year before I start looking into more power, but for the time being, I'm enjoying having a stock vehicle that performs good and has all of the original equipment on it.

One thing I'm having a little difficulty with is the 6-speed, the positions are cramped together so I'm having difficulty throwing it into whatever gear I want; with ye olde 5-speed, I could just toss that around. Need to focus more on shifting gears.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:22 AM, Chad said:

Nice. Best color for them.

The one I test drove at the dealer was red, I told them I couldn't do red and that I wanted silver but could also do blue and they were able to get me a blue one, kinda glad I ended up with the blue; it's good to get out of my comfort zone.

On 1/29/2017 at 3:35 PM, 66sprint6 said:

Congrats!

Matt

Are you still around Murfreesboro? I see a few Focus ST's, never see an RS, it's always an ST!

Cody likes this

Yeah Im around but I traded the ST in on my GT.  I miss the little thing tho, I still see a bunch of ST's around but never any RS's tho quite a few of my old ST buddies drive RS now.  I drove one and its an awesome little car but I would have to step up in payment more than I wanted.  A red STI parked next to my GT out in Green Hills last weekend, Dont seem to stand out as much to me as previous models but they have grown on me quite a bit lately.  Hope you enjoy the STI and that it treats you as well as your old WRX in the long run!

Matt

Nice. I really like these, but I really wish they would bring back the hatchback. 

X2 on liking WR Blue best on these. It just looks right on Subarus.

Edited by WhatAWookie

We're going to Beech Bend March 4th. You in to see what that STI will run real world with you piloting?

Since our junk tests the same per magazines articles, we need to line them up.

My land yacht with yours. :3gears:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

We're going to Beech Bend March 4th. You in to see what that STI will run real world with you piloting?

Since our junk tests the same per magazines articles, we need to line them up.

My land yacht with yours. :3gears:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if I'll do it on the 3rd, but I've been thinking about it. This thing takes off so easily, if I can just make that 2-3 shift, I could probably get a decent time.

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, djoye said:

Don't know if I'll do it on the 3rd, but I've been thinking about it. This thing takes off so easily, if I can just make that 2-3 shift, I could probably get a decent time.

Try to come out and play to baseline that mofo as is bone stock. :hyper:

Just curious, what is the cost and do they require helmets for everything? For some reason, I'm under the impression that some tracks have changed rules that require helmets for all runs now days.

JohnC likes this

5 minutes ago, Tino said:

My coworker got a 2017 WRX last week. He plans on going to bowling Green with me on Saturday 

STI VS WRX

I'm more excited to run a WRX than a Camaro, that Camaro should be able to put up a good fight, I don't want a fight. ;)

mstrpth, JohnC and Tino like this

10 hours ago, djoye said:

I'm more excited to run a WRX than a Camaro, that Camaro should be able to put up a good fight, I don't want a fight. ;)

My Camaro SS is slow. You'll probably win. :yes:

It needs a tune bad because the ram air intake is screwing with the MAF.

That said, my HP Tuners software kit comes today. Not sure how much I'll learn and be able to tune by race day since I'm working 12.5 hours overtime tonight and won't be off until 6am. :dead:

I'll only get a nap before heading to the track. :coffee:

I'm thinking that the WRX and STI will be a very close race. He'll I'm almost willing to say that the WRX might beat his big brother the STI.

@djoye are you going to meet up with us and cruise to Bowling Green?