JohnC

Educate me on the L99 Chevy 6.2L

87 posts in this topic

I know the LS3 makes 26hp more in my model year. My junk has less comp and VVT, AFM, etc.

So is this motor worth modding much, like HCI and exhaust?

What about a supercharger? Bottom end strong as the LS3?

Is the L99 basically the same motor as the LS3, minus cam and pistons?

:coffee:

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Oh, and what affordable mods to get me in the mid 12's to start? If that's possible. :lol:

Driver.  :P

Tino likes this

Think of what you have as an LS3.  It's the same except for the cam.  You'll change that eventually anyway.  And you'll only change one cam, not 4. :)

A cam and tuning would probably really wake the car up.  The LS3 heads are pretty bad ass as is.  Flow 315 in stock form.

Headers are always nice, but expensive for new cars.  Not good bang for the buck. 

I assume yours has the 6l80e. That shouldn't need anything more than tuning to make it fairly tough, but going to the right tuner is key.  There are like 400 trans parameters in the tune.

Tino, JohnC, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

16 hours ago, Mike said:

Think of what you have as an LS3.  It's the same except for the cam.  You'll change that eventually anyway.  And you'll only change one cam, not 4. :)

A cam and tuning would probably really wake the car up.  The LS3 heads are pretty bad ass as is.  Flow 315 in stock form.

Headers are always nice, but expensive for new cars.  Not good bang for the buck. 

I assume yours has the 6l80e. That shouldn't need anything more than tuning to make it fairly tough, but going to the right tuner is key.  There are like 400 trans parameters in the tune.

So is the CR the same as the LS3 or not? :???:

I believe mine has a 6 speed auto, whatever Chevy calls it.

Ford guy here know very little about these things. :lol:

I see the part that lowers the compression... See these images... Valve reliefs in the pistons.

L99 See the Variable timing thingy on the cam sprocket and also see the lifters... In the valley under the intake is some kind of oil control for that valvetrain, too.

x10pt_ar001.jpg

LS3

258655.jpg

Looks like the L99 is 10.4:1 while the LS3 is 10.7:1

The 26 hp loss is probably from the lower compression and lower max rpm. That L99 VVT can't be spun as high as the LS3....

If you do a head and a cam swap can you get rid of that VVT stuff?  That little bit of compression cant make THAT big of a difference, and you could potentially gain some compression ratio with the right heads?  I PMed you yesterday, now you DEFINITELY need to get back out to the Hill when it opens up so you can whoop my tail with consistency while I work on the driver mod and spin, miss gears and slowly dial my junk in to run with you.  No clutch protection to hold me back at least (one less excuse LOL).

Matt

Cody likes this

VVT = paycheck for me.  Got one to tear down to see if the lifter has taken out the cam yet, and another that's down that far and needs the cam and lifters. That job starts Monday.

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

VVT = paycheck for me.  Got one to tear down to see if the lifter has taken out the cam yet, and another that's down that far and needs the cam and lifters. That job starts Monday.

How many miles is on those? 

28 minutes ago, Disney said:

Like said, cam swap and you're even with LS3. You can even keep the VVT and have some gains over the LS3 if tuned right.

Looks like I'll be going that direction mod wise! :yes: 

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

Both about 120k.

How easy is it to delete VVT? Cam, cam sprocket, lifter and that oil control crap swap and then tune it out?

^ On trucks it pays about 20 hours to replace the cam and lifters.  The computer tune I have no idea.

I LIKE the idea of variable cam timing, as long as it's there to benefit performance at WOT and economy at less throttle.

Edited by Ashley P

I would recommend getting the AFM "turned off" before a lifter fails and you are forced to repair/replace right then.

JohnC likes this

9 hours ago, Ashley P said:

I would recommend getting the AFM "turned off" before a lifter fails and you are forced to repair/replace right then.

Going to do that asap. :yes: