JRANGER

65 Coupe to Fastback "Phoenix"

Rate this topic:

173 posts in this topic

Why did you want to keep the shock towers? I have been fond of the AJE stuff, but I haven't installed any yet. 

FYI I'm shopping for a 65-68 coupe/vert

66sprint6 likes this

Posted (edited)

Just to keep a stock engine bay. The reason behind removing them is to gain space for bigger motors etc.  If you go aje or the other weld in setups you will most likely chop them out but i figure why do more work then i have to.

Edited by JRANGER
JohnC and Disney like this

started working on building my EPS column today. Other then figuring out some wire routing the top section is pretty much done20170311_133047.jpg20170311_123828.jpg20170311_124018.jpg20170311_120859.jpg

66sprint6 likes this

still have a few things to figure out...Bearing in the top of both the top and bottom section to keep the steering shaft centered.

Im thinking ill put some l brackets on the bottom half to hold it to the firewall.20170311_173325.jpg

Nice!!!  I will bo looking into doing the same thing here soon but I have to figure out somewhere to put the EPA unit that wont be in the way of my danged feet.

Matt

If the EPS unit fails, you are using a normal, manual rack and the steering will be noticeably harder to turn, but only as hard as any other manual rack car (which is what it is now).  If a power steering pump fails, you have a much bigger problem on your hands as the rack isnt as easy to steer without the assist as a manual rack.  If either one locks up, your in the same predicament lol.  Only thing I would make sure of would be that the many joints and adapters needed to make it all work were as solid and well constructed as possible as a failure on any one of them will be bad news.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Yeah, they are both smooth bored connections going to the EPS. I welded the one side on but may still drill a bolt all the way through just be safe. The other side is a much tighter fit at i drilled it out to 16.5mm which is what it it but i drilled a hole in it and have the bolt on the connection screwed into it. Still may weld that on as well....The other conenctions are pushing downward and 34 DD connections so im not worried about them at all

If you can, I would drill holes and plug weld just for added security.  You likely wont ever break what you have but overkill is a great idea on something as important as steering.  Especially when you have it out of the car and can do it easily.  Look forward to seeing pics of it installed!

Matt

I went and finished up the top half. I welded the bottom section on and i then drilled a hole through the top coupler. Put a bolt all the way through and welded it in place too! Everything should be plenty secure...I then went and hooked up my control box and ran some wires to a battery to make sure i didnt burn anything up. Motor works and turns when the wires are all touching correctly. Just have to figure out some wiring routing and how to secure the top tube to make sure it does spin with the motor 

66sprint6 likes this

Did the shelby drop, installed the upper control arms, spindles, and put the steering stuff back in. Alsodrilled out the top for the coilovers

20170318_024927.jpg

Ok i have a questions...What the hell is the diff between gm bearing grease and ford bearing grease? From the valvoline package only thing i can tell is the color...

Installed my coilovers suspension.Still need my tie rods, need abigger sway bar as well 

Theb i installed my 12.5" 05 gt disc conversion on the drivers side...

Naturally the only 5 lug wheels i have with tires are some 20s. So i put that on and even though they are off my 2014 mustang the offset was fine because the 20s go over the top ball joint lol

20170327_175316.jpg20170327_175345.jpg20170327_173449.jpg20170327_173532.jpg

16 hours ago, JRANGER said:

Ok i have a questions...What the hell is the diff between gm bearing grease and ford bearing grease? From the valvoline package only thing i can tell is the color...

Temperature rating. Best bet it to buy it from Ford. Good stuff.

Hmmm the GM Has a higher heat rating....and i accidentally bought it yesterday when i was greasing my bearings lol oh well

NICE!!!  Thats on the list for me as well, Im procrastinating because it also means I will have to pony up for carpet and some other bits.  

Matt

true just have to fix a gap in the trans tunnel...Luckily it looks like Tractor Supply refills tanks because the other places are not open on weekend...Otherwise i was gonna have to bust my flux core welder back out for a bit lol

Posted (edited)

Well Called Mustangs to Fear today and ordered my Eleanor Body Kit....

Also looks like i found a 351W to grab and have rebuilt to go in her

Edited by JRANGER