JRANGER

65 Coupe to Fastback "Phoenix"

Rate this topic:

173 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

NIce work!

Oh, I've gotta flipped GTO and a couple spare tops...when ya want it?  lol

lol, i love GTOs but that would scare me. Flipped = god knows whats twisted

Oh, it didn't get twisted.  It was fine from waist high and lower. lol  (But the the A pillars got folded flat pulling it out of the ditch, so it probably would need spot welds drilled and the entire A pillar replace.)

Keep up your good work.  I'm glad to see your progress.

Well i started to tack weld it together but.....i ran out of gas, so i am going to call my.local welding supply tomorrow to see if they have a decent 80cu ft tank..   So i did find a nice little grove full of fiberglass and bondo. Def not stock20170129_124141.jpg

20170129_135843.jpg20170129_140238.jpg

JohnC likes this

Welded up most the pass side qtr and grindinded it. My welding needs more work, not use to this eastwood and im.sure it being 20 degrees didnt help

20170204_150104.jpg

•  

Also cut some angle to replace the trunk access supports that were cut off20170204_112924.jpg
Edited by JRANGER

NOOOOOO!!!!  Those are almost as bad as the 66 i saw floating around online with Camaro tails.  Its your car but the stock tails are timeless!

Matt

I actually was looking for Torino tails if that helps but they look good. And they cost me $30 to get a shelby like look. I plan to black out the panel and trimellie8.jpg

JohnC likes this

Neat taillight discussion!  You see, as a Pontiac driver I've never gotten to see an old Ford taillight. ;)   Keep up the informative post! lol

I like the way the Torino back end looks, still not sure how itll add up behind the 66 BUT never will know till you mock it up and see!  Ive never liked the Shelby look backdated to the 64.5-66 cars but really dig it on the 67+ altho I had a soft spot for the 67/68 tails with the little chrome surrounds.

Matt

8 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

I like the way the Torino back end looks, still not sure how itll add up behind the 66 BUT never will know till you mock it up and see!  Ive never liked the Shelby look backdated to the 64.5-66 cars but really dig it on the 67+ altho I had a soft spot for the 67/68 tails with the little chrome surrounds.

Matt

Yeah, I really dig the 67 taillights and thats why mine are stock on my coupe. Dont care much for the 65s

Are you able to make the center white backup light section red to match the Torino pictured by chance?  THAT might look pretty slick and I agree with you, Im not as much a fan of the 64.5-66 tails as I am the 67-68 BUT I also havnt seen an aftermarket solution that I care for any more than the stock setup.  Its not that custom setups dont look good, I almost just dont mine the simple stock look.  Keep up the updates tho, Im loving this project!

Matt

14 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Are you able to make the center white backup light section red to match the Torino pictured by chance?  THAT might look pretty slick and I agree with you, Im not as much a fan of the 64.5-66 tails as I am the 67-68 BUT I also havnt seen an aftermarket solution that I care for any more than the stock setup.  Its not that custom setups dont look good, I almost just dont mine the simple stock look.  Keep up the updates tho, Im loving this project!

Matt

Yeah, so all you have to do is Order "Caprice" Lenses and its all red.Oddly enough they are super cheap in comparison to replacement impala lenses.  Now what im going to do also is use LED lights. If you were in my truck thread i used 15" Trailer lights on it well guess what? These tails are 18" long and the center section is rivited in with 2 rivits. All i have to do is removed those rivets and bam those ligths will fit in

Edited by JRANGER

3 minutes ago, higherpowerracing said:

Do the Mercury Cougar tail lights

Slim's Speed Shop

looked into them, still several hundred dollars for em