JRANGER

65 Coupe to Fastback "Phoenix"

Rate this topic:

298 posts in this topic

With as old as these cars are, its any wonder.  Not only that but you could take two cars straight from the factory back then and the gaps and measurements between panels, shock towers etc could be quite a bit off from each other.  Tolerances werent all that tight back then.  Aftermarket parts never fit up just right anyways because of this and other issues as well.  You will get it fitting up just fine tho...but not without quite a bit more work LOL

Matt

came home and taped off the center of the rear bumper and laid 4 layers of glass. Will be re-enforcement/alignment plate to bolt in after i split it down the center to widen it out. Plus will make it easier to glass the gap

tape.jpgglass.jpg

66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

Split the bumper and fitted it. As you can see it needed to be widen a decent amount. I then used my glass plate to fit it together and 8115. Once it cures ill glass the middle 

cut.jpg8115.jpgclamp.jpg

mstrpth, 66sprint6 and Ashley P like this

Im getting the itch again. Went and looked at a 68 Torino in Hohenwald but decided it wasnt worth the 5k the guy was asking. Also didnt realize it had a slap shifter on auto so driving in first gear was no fun lol ....

30713855_10160193965795521_8350451931449131008_n.png

JohnC likes this

2 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

HA!  FINISH THE COUPE+2!!!!!!!!!

Matt

lol!!! It has a long way to go. I need a summer driver :)

19 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

You got plenty of time before summer at the rate your going!!!

:3gears:

Matt

that and we're apparently still a few months away from summer as it was snowing this morning.

Ashley P, 66sprint6 and JRANGER like this

I dunno wtf crack people are smoking but theybare trying to sell broke mustangs for 6k plus here. I6 mustangs that run for almost 7k. Wtf

Disney likes this

4 hours ago, JRANGER said:

I dunno wtf crack people are smoking but theybare trying to sell broke mustangs for 6k plus here. I6 mustangs that run for almost 7k. Wtf

Lord knows I looked for a WHILE before finding mine.

66sprint6 likes this

Prices are on the up and up but deals are still out there if you look hard enough...or have em fall in your lap!  Fox prices are the same as are Early Broncos.  I swear, if I like it, but the time I scratch together some cash to make it happen the price has already doubled LOL

Matt

Disney likes this

If I just would have bought when I first thought " I should buy this car" I would be WAAAAY Ahead. BUt no, I think they will always be there for the same money and then they skyrocket. It was not very long ago when I passed on a very very nice 66 Coupe 289 T5 car for 6500. I kick myself for that. Same car now would be 16500.

66sprint6 likes this

5 minutes ago, Disney said:

If I just would have bought when I first thought " I should buy this car" I would be WAAAAY Ahead. BUt no, I think they will always be there for the same money and then they skyrocket. It was not very long ago when I passed on a very very nice 66 Coupe 289 T5 car for 6500. I kick myself for that. Same car now would be 16500.

Theres one that has rust like that in chattanooga for 6800. Ive beent rying to beat him down on the price

If I kicked myself for the amount of cars Ive passed over or sold along the way I wouldnt be able to walk or sit down.  Thats life as a car guy tho LOL

Matt

Posted (edited)

Talked to Matt pretty much all day and well im either buying a 302 from him or buying a 302 from a guy in hendersonville. Joey is actually going to go check it out for me this weekend. The 302 in hendo is pretty much ready to drop in, 330HP, and comes with hooker headers but you know how that goes. We will see what happens. Then ill see if i can drop in my first engine....Then see if i can figure out how to attach a transmission for the first time...Ive been reading most of the day and jesus...So many parts and info...One hand im looking at a nice AOD for 1600 with conversion parts minus the needed cross member then im looking at a c4 by tci but it needs the bell housing and god knows what else but comes with the cooler and fluids....ugh UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Oj and i glassed my bumper back together earlier in the week and sanded that out smooth. Now it just needs a thin bit of filler in the middle and screw holes

bumper.jpg

Edited by JRANGER
66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

took time to finally put on my ebay hood hinges from Federline products.They dont use a strut just a single spring loaded latch on the passenger side hinge. They are pretty nice for $359.00
hinges.jpg

hood.jpg

oooh those gaps though. The hood needs to come down a little further but i had to use the stock bolts into the hood because the ones that came with the hinge were too short. So ill have to go buy some then i can adjust it more

hood gaps.jpg

mstrpth, Disney and 66sprint6 like this

Posted (edited)

still mad dude backed out on our deal but anyway

I did more fitting on my VUE Epas. I had to cut off an ear on it and grind the casing smooth. After i had to grind a little of the edge of the Brake return area. The other thing is securing it. I had a heavy duty L bracket from my last 3 point seat belt install and bent it to fit the angle of the Wiper bracket. Drilled a hole then made a bracket out of angle to fit. Its all fit and works great. I ran a long wire from my truck to test out the difference. 

now i just have to relocate the ecu

grinsd.jpg

angel.jpgbracket.jpgfit.jpg

Edited by JRANGER
Disney and 66sprint6 like this