JRANGER

65 Coupe to Fastback "Phoenix"

Rate this topic:

298 posts in this topic

Long ago I asked a body man about putting quarters on my car, he mentioned using an adhesive.  That was news to me, and I had the "weld it solid or it's gonna fail" mentality, so I asked him 20 questions about it.  He claimed it was as good a bond as welding, but with no chance for heat warping a panel.  I think he said only a few (screws/spot welds/rivits?) were needed to align while "gluing".  Quicker, easier, completely sealed so rust can't form.  I have not done it or even seen it done.

Keep up the good work!

JRANGER likes this

Spent all of Saturday getting thenpassenger side full of filler and having issues getting holes in the L bracket but got that done and got epoxy on the back of all the panels for adhesion.

Spent all of sunday starting to graft in these tail panels. Unfortunately i didnt rememver i put these tail lights in upside down so when starting my fitment i cut the wrong panel. So its a bit short on top but ill get that all squared away. Got the bottom and sides of the passenget side welded in. Took my whole day, measuring cutting. Fitting, re fitting, welding, checking fitment again, and so in. Need to get a cone grinder for my welds and still have a lot of spots to fill in but its getting here. Hopefully the otherside goes smoother

20180311_180245.jpg20180311_180526.jpg

66sprint6 likes this

day 1 of staycation means ive finished welding in the passenger side and got the drivers sdie tacked in

29244155_10160071532580521_7669616979862355968_n.jpg

29314133_10160071532710521_2182171766682550272_o.jpg29340247_10160071532880521_6128331999636619264_o.jpg

29249810_10160071533020521_1355223251751534592_o.jpg

Heck yeah I need a staycation or two to get some junk finished up.  Taillights are looking better than I expected now that they are coming together!

Matt

need to fix up the drivers corner on it as i got a little high but they are all welded it, need to go get a flap disc and do cleaning as well. Did a loose test fit while i was at it

29314136_10160076055665521_855507887080865792_o.jpg29261156_10160076055785521_1336762447226208256_o.jpg29258647_10160076056000521_4144908908273598464_o.jpg

JohnC likes this

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Now its looking EVEN better!  Any thoughts on maybe glassing the extension to flow around the tailights maybe?

Matt

That is the plan, im going to put a cardboard layer on them glass it then bond it to quarter extensions

Edited by JRANGER
66sprint6 likes this

Posted (edited)

3m 8115 done on the drivers side. Now it sits to dry.....Im all out of clamps and it takes at least 4 hours to dry so i guess im done for the day. Kind of a bummer

8115.jpg

Edited by JRANGER
mstrpth likes this

17 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Ha I hate when drying time forces you to end the day early!  One step closer to seeing it all in one color tho!

Matt

yes sir, my friend is coming over this weekend to do body work with me so :) Speaking of which, you ever coming to get these parts? lol

I was but wanted to cruise out in the 66 but its been havin issues!  I will try to make it out one weekend soon if I can, I wanna see it in person for sure.

Matt

JRANGER likes this

Another issue i have had is one of the bottom brackets of the fenders would fit the front and things weren't meshing quiet well. So since i couldn't do much else i made brackets to weld on to the lower section of the fender to mat it up. I need to weld it in place but i need to fit it and the passenger side of the front is loose. So why i was at it i hit the loose part with some panel bonding to secure it back in place... 

fender brackets.jpg

fender bracket fit.jpg

front fix.jpg

It has been over 4 hours and the 8115 is still tacky on the out side edges so certainly leaving it be

Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

Removed all the clamps and screws from the drivers side and then proceeded to put the passengers side in place.

20180319_122210.jpg
Once i finished that i got both lower fender brackets fit and welded in. Everything goes in rather easy now and both holes on bottom line up..

Then i beat my passenger side door with a hammer to bend back the "hinge" bend and even the middle of the door back correctly.

After that i taped up the front so i can pack it will filler and fit it. 
20180319_171005.jpg

66sprint6, mstrpth and Disney like this

At the rate ive been working this week im going to need a vacation from my vacation. Today i packed the front with Evercoat Lightweight and got the liens looking pretty good. The lower section on the other side was loose so i put some panel bonding on it. I also did a lot of sanding on the drivers side getting the bonding adhesive off the car and fiberglass. I also started to sand down the side scoop so i can feather it towards the door. Then i decided i need to tackle the 1ft section of the drip rail so i cut it off the old section and cut out the coupe front. Then i got it in place and put some panel bonding adhesive on it. I have a flat bar covered in tape under it and left an inch on the front and back to weld into place one it done. Tomorrow ill tackle the other side..
frontlines.jpgsanding.jpgdriprail.jpg

What do yall think about the lower scoops. Would you feather them into the quarter or leave the hard lines?

Im not sure...I like the old school scoops back in the day that were inside the "C" and allowed the factory lines to be seen, but with everything else you have done...it might be better to slick em out.

Matt

Layed a bunch of tage gold over the weekend. Unfortunately after non stop work on vacation and my friend getting sick we didnt do much blocking

20180327_174628.jpg20180327_174638.jpg20180327_174645.jpg20180327_174656.jpg20180327_174707.jpg

66sprint6 likes this

2 hours ago, JRANGER said:

Layed a bunch of tage gold over the weekend. Unfortunately after non stop work on vacation and my friend getting sick we didnt do much blocking

20180327_174645.jpg20180327_174656.jpg

Are you filling in the joint between the fender and "nose"?  

3 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Are you filling in the joint between the fender and "nose"?  

na, its tight but i used a fishing line to keep it from sticking together once i get it all nice lookin ill sand a line down it to bevel the edges there and keep it from cracking...Well thats the plan

Ashley P likes this

Im already getting frustrated with body work. Ugh getting thing smooth isnt my fortay. I need to have a block party lol  I took the front off and did some smoothing, and have a lot left to do. The cowl is a pain and so is the rear

Fender.jpg

Front.jpg

My epas is installed but i need to work on a bracket to keep it from moving and work out how exactly i want it placed. In its current situation its perfect as the brake top barely misses it.

R&P Link.jpgEPAS.jpg

Posted (edited)

One thing I did for wet sanding was cut a wood block so that I could fold the paper an even amount of times around it.  I soaked the wood for a few days in water (so it would warp) then sanded IT "true" and kept it wet for...YEARS (seemed like).

I had a body man show me how to block. One thing is to keep the block slightly cocked so that the edge of the paper is never running parallel to the sanding stroke, if that happens you sand a "ledge" or "crease".   Learning to sand with the body line is kinda skill and kinda art.  Move the block in 4 directions:  horizontal, vertical, and 45* angle to each.

Many years of practice and you'll be GREAT!  lol

Oh, and you've got a large project with MUCH already accomplished,  just keep plugging away.:up:

Edited by Ashley P

Im really starting to wonder about this Mustang and its past. Everything is just off a bit, fit the Bumper yesterday and checked things and the bumper isnt quiet wide enough. There is about an 1/8th or larger of the quarters showing on the outside edges and then its sitting on each extension it sits in and doesnt line up. 

Either way i fit stuff and still need to do some glass work on the corners to mesh to the lights

29791183_10160155257290521_5967232541953443654_n.jpg

66sprint6 likes this