Ashley P

6.0 diesel no start

25 posts in this topic

Got a 2004 6.0 "diesel" that will crank over fine, will sometimes fire a couple times, but will not start.  It blows vaporized fuel out the tailpipe the whole time.  Data shows CAM/Crank sync OK, good supply and output voltages in the FICM, and high pressure is hitting desired figures with average dwell time on the IPR solenoid.  So, I checked fuel quality.  Seems like clean diesel to me.

I musta overlooked something, or a piece of data is wrong.  And ideas?

Dunno.  How would I tell?  I'm amazed that a diesel can put fuel out the tailpipe but not run.  (Diesels only need compression and fuel, it seems to have both.)

I tried a tad of ether.  They did not, to my knowledge. 

Timing or fuel quality is all I could think. I pulled the fuel cap, no gas smell.  Pulled the filter top, clean diesel.  Ordered an aftermarket (cheap) filter cap to tap and hook pressure gauge to tomorrow. 

But what can affect timing?  FICM data claims no cam or crank sensor codes. It also shows a good "sync" signal for cam/crank (or is that crank/ficm?).  It DID crank hard (as if injected way too soon) a time or two (out of a hundred attempts).  FICM = loco?

EDIT:  After reading your article on stiction I need to add that the truck ran fine until he parked and 30 minutes later it was a no start.  Leads me to think electronic failure.

Edited by Ashley P
JohnC likes this

What's "injector driver"?  The board in the FICM?  Data shows it's got 48v during cranking...but I've got another board at hand ready to try...

Tried cranking with engine heater plugged up for a while, same fuel smoke.  Then I realized I had the lid off the fuel filter so there was NO fuel pressure.  :???:

Thought it could be EGR regurgitating fuel; pulled it out, cranked over, fired right up.  Smokes like freight train.   Blown EGR cooler due to clogged oil cooler.....most likely. 

66sprint6 likes this

On 12/27/2016 at 4:23 PM, Ashley P said:

For reference:

That looks like a real PITA to do. :down:

I think Ford should have done an inline six diesel like the Cummins. They seems to have more room to work as well. :yes:

It's not really that bad.  My first time a year or so ago I watched this vid before and as I did the job.  Set things out in order and it was a cake walk.

Update on my customer's truck:  his THROTTLE was stuck closed.  How many diesels have a throttle? :rolleyes:   Something about EGR control.  I never was 100% sold on the cooler failures because the smoke was the wrong color.

JohnC likes this

^ Doubt it.  It's a smooth power loss, then a random pop from the intake side.

Codes for exhaust backpressure issues.  I loosened the exhaust before the cat/muffler....no help.  Well, it has more power but still acts up randomly. 

The best part?   The transmission has gone out.  Well, the truck goes forward in R and N.  It tries to in P but the parking pawl holds it.  :doh: SnapOn scanner tip says that's the forward clutch no holding.

Boost sensor?  That was mentioned in the other thread.

I remember years ago with a Cat we had in a boat that would go rich and blow smoke when it ate a boost sensor, which it did often.

The only suspect data:  when acting up the "exhaust backpressure absolute" reading goes well above the average reading. 

^ It has said turbo.  Every time I perform the turbo test it passes, and I've not tested the turbo when the engine is running bad. The randomness is 9/10 of the frustration.

No.  I have no indication of an injector fault.  I *think* they are being commanded incorrectly due to a faulty input to the computer.  OR, it's got a random exhaust restriction (hello variable exhaust housing turbo).  OR...Or......or.............or...    6.0 liter!!!

^ If I were stinking filthy rich....there'd be a steam catapult from an aircraft carrier just outside my bay.  Problem child cars and trucks would get a cat shot...I might could hit the Ohio river from there, but landing them in a live volcano would be a little more satisfying.  Time to look at Hawaii auto shops?

Edited by Ashley P

The customer had me put a Jasper trans in it a couple weeks ago.  Maybe I'll get to bang my head against his driveability problem again soon.