higherpowerracing

Music City Raceway Street Night

224 posts in this topic

Really, the Z06 was only running mid 90's mph?  It was supposed to be making 650rwhp and only weighs probably 3500 max.  That should be ~110mph.  

I looked back at my old 1/8th mile passes at the hill.  I had been running 102-103 on average at the Hill with one 105mph pass.  The DA was 0 to slightly negative.  Last night, other than the 99mph, I was running 104.2 and DA was around 2000.  So, the pulley helped some, but I still think a tighter belt might help more.  Doesn't matter because I'm ready to put the street tires back on it and daily drive it for a couple months.  

My 60's weren't that far off either.  But come fall I'm going to start tweaking the tune and see if I can get it in the low 10's and maybe 6.6x.

JohnC likes this

Yeah I saw two passes from the staging lanes of the silver Z06 and it sounded like it was RIPPING but both runs were mid to upper 8's at 90-91 mph or so I thought, I might be wrong.  He broke at the end, or at least was pushed over by that shed near the burnout box when I left, would have liked to see more from it.  I also saw the new Z06 running around the pits but never saw it make a pass.  Wish they would put out a list of car #'s and times ran, I never can catch em all sitting in the staging lanes all night and unless I catch the owner and can ask, I often have no clue what others are running.

Im in the same boat Mike, Im looking forward to cooler weather and better DA's to see if I can get a glory pass or two out of it but for now Im happy with how quick its been going lately.

Matt

3 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Car would hook really well out of the hole but spin the top of first right about when the clutch was released fully

Matt

When I read that I makes me think you're slipping the clutch for almost all of 1st gear.   Tell me how wrong I am. :)

Yep, thats pretty much what that statement says.  With the gearing in the car, 1st comes and goes pretty quick anyways, trying to make it stick often sees only a split second between the clutch being fully let out and having to shift to 2nd.

Lately I do seem to have to slip it for quite a bit longer or else it will hop/spin like mad.  I got really close to getting the slip and stab motion sorted out the night i went 7.95 (rpms up quick, quick but deliberate slip of the clutch and only a minor squawk from the tires) but that hasnt worked for me the last couple trips.  If I could get out there and hot lap again like I used to be able to do I could work on getting the cadence sorted out a little more but again, it seems that the conditions change trip by trip and I have to adjust and figure out what works best.  Usually why my later runs are quicker for sure.  I was able to get my 60's close to my best ever last night despite having to slip the clutch longer than usual but I couldnt get as aggressive without spinning.  All part of the fun of street tire racing with 3 pedals!  Ide like to toss some slicks on it and see what traction feels like but till then Ill keep slipping, pedaling, short shifting, spinning, hopping and adjusting.

Matt

^    :whoa:       I always preferred to put the wear on my tires. Of course, maybe if I'd used the clutch like you I would have been in the 7s sooner.  :)

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

I worried about the clutch but now that ive beat on it a bunch, its been really solid and has held up really well so Im not as scared to slip it.  I also take a break if it smells too much or if I feel Ive been too hard on it which hasnt happened lately due to not being able to get as many runs in/hot lap it.  I also know that wheel hop will kill a half shaft but I havnt yet and know to let out if it gets too crazy.  One day Ill hook like an SOB and blow the clutch out and break a half shaft just for saying that BUT till then Im gonna keep at it and see where it takes me. :lol:

Matt

39 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

I also take a break if it smells too much

Matt

^ :whoa::doh: You're about to give your clutch a "break" alright!  lol

Gonna be warm again but Im gonna head out tomorrow if all goes well.  Might put on the NT555R's again to give them one more chance before removing them from the wheels and finding a more manual trans friendly setup to replace them.  Last time out on them clutch protection didnt allow me to see if there were any gains to be had so this will be the deciding factory.  Just gotta stay away from any wheel hop or I might be walkin home!

Matt

DO IT!!!  I was thinking that the other day when you posted about putting the street rubber back on it.  Bet it still boogies!  I wish I could steal your strip setup and see what the GT could do with some grip!

Matt

Ok im definitely going.  Got the Nittos bolted up last night, should be fun to see if I can manage to squeak out a better 60 vs the Continental all seasons.  Hot weather be damned, Im gonna have some fun tonight.

Matt

I'm not going to make it.  I should have an inspection on my pool electric today.  If it's good, I have to fill in the ditch tonight before the rain comes.

JohnC likes this

1 minute ago, Disney said:

I'm on Daddy Duty tonight.

How's Daddyhood?

It's funny when some folks find out the Dad is watching the kids, they say "oh, your babysitting"....Uh, no, it's called "parenting"

66sprint6, JohnC and Disney like this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I've got to work. :(

DOH!!!!  Thats ok, one day you will have that SS rolling and will have time to meet up and pound on some other street cars!

58 minutes ago, Disney said:

I'm on Daddy Duty tonight.

Best excuse in here for sure...most rewarding one at least!

Matt

Disney likes this

Last night was HOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  90* (tho my car was reading higher) and the DA was around 3200.  Guy I know up there who usually runs consistent 7.8s was running 8.0-8.1s but the track was hooking up really nice.  Slapped the Nitto's on for one last shot to see what they could do and ran the following.

1) 7.96 at 89 with a 1.93 60.  Straight off the road, 22psi cold in the tires, lazy launch to get a feel for it, bouncing off the limiter in 3rd quite a ways before the traps :lol: 

2) 8.33 at 83.05 with a 1.86 60.  Slightly more aggressive launch, missed 3rd finished in 4th gear.

3) 8.18 at 90.17 with a 1.98 60.  Tried to let the clutch out quicker and bogged big time.  Shifted to 4th at end of track from here on.

4) 8.36 at 86.68 with a 1.95 60.  Bogged again, missed 3rd again.

5) 7.96 at 90.49 with a 1.89 60.  Eased up on the launch, shifted every gear around 7200 rpm.

Wasnt able to top my previous but was forced to take the extra shift to 4th due to the shorter tire and was no doubt feeling the heat.  Got my 60s down a tad and I didnt even have time to really mess with the launch much.  I dont doubt it had more in it at the launch.  Best thing tho was the lack of hop/spin on the 1-2 shift.  I was able to run it to 7200rpm without a squeek which helps a ton.  Gonna sell these tires and pick up something taller and see if I cant drop the 60s a tad more and see where it gets me!

Matt

JohnC, higherpowerracing and Disney like this

On 6/14/2017 at 10:13 AM, 66sprint6 said:

Last night was HOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  90* (tho my car was reading higher) and the DA was around 3200.  Guy I know up there who usually runs consistent 7.8s was running 8.0-8.1s but the track was hooking up really nice.  Slapped the Nitto's on for one last shot to see what they could do and ran the following.

1) 7.96 at 89 with a 1.93 60.  Straight off the road, 22psi cold in the tires, lazy launch to get a feel for it, bouncing off the limiter in 3rd quite a ways before the traps :lol: 

2) 8.33 at 83.05 with a 1.86 60.  Slightly more aggressive launch, missed 3rd finished in 4th gear.

3) 8.18 at 90.17 with a 1.98 60.  Tried to let the clutch out quicker and bogged big time.  Shifted to 4th at end of track from here on.

4) 8.36 at 86.68 with a 1.95 60.  Bogged again, missed 3rd again.

5) 7.96 at 90.49 with a 1.89 60.  Eased up on the launch, shifted every gear around 7200 rpm.

Wasnt able to top my previous but was forced to take the extra shift to 4th due to the shorter tire and was no doubt feeling the heat.  Got my 60s down a tad and I didnt even have time to really mess with the launch much.  I dont doubt it had more in it at the launch.  Best thing tho was the lack of hop/spin on the 1-2 shift.  I was able to run it to 7200rpm without a squeek which helps a ton.  Gonna sell these tires and pick up something taller and see if I cant drop the 60s a tad more and see where it gets me!

Matt

I found the in car vid of your pass.  I can tell you are still learning how to grab gears but are having a BLAST doing it.   (You are at the 2:26 mark.)

JohnC likes this