higherpowerracing

Music City Raceway Street Night

234 posts in this topic

Nice runs, Matt! :up:

I need to work lots of OT so I can Coyote swap and come to play. :yes:

BTW, were there any black 12 and 15/16 GT's up there?

I was coming through Madison yesterday and there was two black 15/16 GT's, one had a missing drivers side mirror and Georgia tag if I recall correctly, and one 12 GT.

Was kind of wondering if that black mustang gathering was going down at the hill seeing so many black GT's in one spot together.

There was a black 15+ there but I never saw what he was running and a couple 11-14's.  I think once I get a tuner I can sort out some of the Nanny's and get back to working on the Driver Mod which is the fun part.

Matt

JohnC likes this

There was one at at the camaro club event there Saturday, but I didn't see what he ran or if he ran at all.  Big help I know.

I will say that my friends c7 zo6 with the 8 speed auto is rediculous.  Mostly because of that LT4.  With drag radials, intake and cat deletes, he's been 6.86.

JohnC likes this

Some interesting food for thought.  Look at the gear ratios for the 8L90 that goes in it and the vette.  http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/may/2016-camaro/2016-camaro-specs.html

4.56 first gear with a 2.77 rearend gear.  That's a total ratio of 12.63

Let's say you had a th400 or th350 in something.  Both have a 2.5/2.48 first gear ratio.  You would need a 5.05:1 rear gear ratio to have the equivalent total starting line ratio.

This is one reason these newer cars can get away with more cam on a stock converter.  You don't need lots of low end torque.  In fact converters slow most of the CTSV's down (4.02/3.23).  My car in regular auto mode never uses 1st gear.  I have to put it in sport to even get it to start there.

The technology in all the new cars is pretty neat.  

JohnC likes this

Don't care for autos in a fun car quick or not so no interest in em.  Mike's Caddy is a different story and I would be happy to have a CTSV with auto or manual either one but I'm still of the belief that a "sports" (mustang/Camaro/challenger) car should be a manual if at all possible.  Focus ST and GT500/350/350R agree.  More fun for the day to day grind and allow the driver to be a factor in how it performs when it's time to play.  I know it's old school and loosing traction amongst car guys.  When my knees go out and I get sick of it I'll change my mind I'm sure but right now clicking it in D and letting the car do the rest doesnt do it for me.  3 pedals in my sporty cars please.

That said I've got work to do to become "automatic" at the track lol.  It'll come in time...

Matt

keiths2kgt likes this

2 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Don't care for autos in a fun car quick or not so no interest in em.  Mike's Caddy is a different story and I would be happy to have a CTSV with auto or manual either one but I'm still of the belief that a "sports" (mustang/Camaro/challenger) car should be a manual if at all possible.  Focus ST and GT500/350/350R agree.  More fun for the day to day grind and allow the driver to be a factor in how it performs when it's time to play.  I know it's old school and loosing traction amongst car guys.  When my knees go out and I get sick of it I'll change my mind I'm sure but right now clicking it in D and letting the car do the rest doesnt do it for me.  3 pedals in my sporty cars please.

That said I've got work to do to become "automatic" at the track lol.  It'll come in time...

Matt

I'm over the manual v auto debate. It was valid back in the day when we had heavy power robbing slush-boxes for auto's and manual cars were always faster.

But technology has caught up. Auto's rape manuals now. Plus, you don't have to screw with clutches, TOB's, pilot bearings wearing etc.

If you want to shift, get a car with paddle shifters. :love:

But I won't turn down a manual car, especially a GT350R or GT500.

Nope, argument isnt invalid because personal preference is still king when time to put your money down on a car.  I like to push my left foot down, and shift my car...I bought a manual trans car.  I have NOTHING against those of yall who like the new tech and I am BEYOND amazed at how the tides have turned in favor of the auto gearbox.  It doesnt replace my personal love for driving a manual trans car.  Go out on a twisty backroad with a manual trans and it doesnt matter if you have 100whp on tap (subaru brz lol), you can have an absolute blast.  I love the sound of a stick car's exhaust rolling thru the gears,  I love finding an unexpected opening in traffic or leaving a toll booth or getting on the interstate and slamming the gears like Im trying to knock 1/10th off at the track (while Kathleen looks at me like Im an @$$hole) its a whole package deal that adds to the enjoyment of a FUN/Sports car...to me.  I dont like flappy paddles much.  Hell half the time they dont listen to you (according to new Camaro guys) lol.  My wife's edge has em...racecar?  When self driving cars become the norm, would you pick it over driving it yourself on your Camaro or Corvette too just cause its proven to be quicker?  Again, personal preference is all.  Ide rather be a smidge slower rowing my own gears than the auto Mustang guy next to me who basically only had to put his foot down at the right time.  His car is quicker than my driving, thats all.

Now...on a full time drag car (or bakery racer lol), its understandable that you want every little bit of advantage with less chance to screw it up.  I still respect and enjoy watching the gear banger cars more tho and would like to put together a little manual trans stroker Coupe one day.   

Anyways, back on topic.

I think next week is the last week for Union Hill's weekly program.  After that I believe they are only running on Sat's.  Anyone going Tues or Fri?  Im on the fence.  I dont want to miss out on the last chance to have some fun but unless I can find a tuner cheap it might not be worth it.  Then again, who am I kiddin, another day stuck in the mid 8's is still better than a day not racing.  

Matt

Ashley P likes this

7 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Nope, argument isnt invalid because personal preference is still king when time to put your money down on a car.  I like to push my left foot down, and shift my car...I bought a manual trans car.  I have NOTHING against those of yall who like the new tech and I am BEYOND amazed at how the tides have turned in favor of the auto gearbox.  It doesnt replace my personal love for driving a manual trans car.  Go out on a twisty backroad with a manual trans and it doesnt matter if you have 100whp on tap (subaru brz lol), you can have an absolute blast.  I love the sound of a stick car's exhaust rolling thru the gears,  I love finding an unexpected opening in traffic or leaving a toll booth or getting on the interstate and slamming the gears like Im trying to knock 1/10th off at the track (while Kathleen looks at me like Im an @$$hole) its a whole package deal that adds to the enjoyment of a FUN/Sports car...to me.  I dont like flappy paddles much.  Hell half the time they dont listen to you (according to new Camaro guys) lol.  My wife's edge has em...racecar?  When self driving cars become the norm, would you pick it over driving it yourself on your Camaro or Corvette too just cause its proven to be quicker?  Again, personal preference is all.  Ide rather be a smidge slower rowing my own gears than the auto Mustang guy next to me who basically only had to put his foot down at the right time.  His car is quicker than my driving, thats all.

Now...on a full time drag car (or bakery racer lol), its understandable that you want every little bit of advantage with less chance to screw it up.  I still respect and enjoy watching the gear banger cars more tho and would like to put together a little manual trans stroker Coupe one day.   

Anyways, back on topic.

I think next week is the last week for Union Hill's weekly program.  After that I believe they are only running on Sat's.  Anyone going Tues or Fri?  Im on the fence.  I dont want to miss out on the last chance to have some fun but unless I can find a tuner cheap it might not be worth it.  Then again, who am I kiddin, another day stuck in the mid 8's is still better than a day not racing.  

Matt

To each his own. :yes::up:

Hope to afford a new SS or GT soon and it will be an auto if I can.

Also waiting to see if Ford will 1-up GM with a faster 8 speed auto GT before I decide SS or GT.

In the early planning stages now.... Playing lotto weekly.  :D

Cody and higherpowerracing like this

Refresh is apparently coming for 2018 GT.  Not sure the specs but Ive heard some tweaks to the Coyote and some trans changes under the skin and a facelift outside.  Ive also heard there might be a Performance Package available for Auto cars soon as alot of people are whining about wanting it as well as a GT500 with auto.  Seeing that the new GT500 could possibly be an EcoBoost/Beast car, I cant say an Auto would be all that out of line I guess.

Matt

On 10/19/2016 at 5:46 PM, Mike said:

Some interesting food for thought.  Look at the gear ratios for the 8L90 that goes in it and the vette.  http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/may/2016-camaro/2016-camaro-specs.html

4.56 first gear with a 2.77 rearend gear.  That's a total ratio of 12.63

Let's say you had a th400 or th350 in something.  Both have a 2.5/2.48 first gear ratio.  You would need a 5.05:1 rear gear ratio to have the equivalent total starting line ratio.

This is one reason these newer cars can get away with more cam on a stock converter.  You don't need lots of low end torque.  In fact converters slow most of the CTSV's down (4.02/3.23).  My car in regular auto mode never uses 1st gear.  I have to put it in sport to even get it to start there.

The technology in all the new cars is pretty neat.  

I had a clutch and overall ratio in first of 7.06.  For some reason it struggled out of the hole....to run 8.007 @ 89

21 hours ago, Ashley P said:

I had a clutch and overall ratio in first of 7.06.  For some reason it struggled out of the hole....to run 8.007 @ 89

That's because Pontislack. :duck: 

Ashley P likes this

On 10/19/2016 at 4:59 PM, 66sprint6 said:

There was a black 15+ there but I never saw what he was running and a couple 11-14's.  I think once I get a tuner I can sort out some of the Nanny's and get back to working on the Driver Mod which is the fun part.

Matt

speaking of tuning, are you talking a local dyno tune or email tune?  i would like a nice flex fuel tune.  i wish the pp2 that frpp is about to release was flex fuel

JohnC likes this

12 hours ago, keiths2kgt said:

speaking of tuning, are you talking a local dyno tune or email tune?  i would like a nice flex fuel tune.  i wish the pp2 that frpp is about to release was flex fuel

More than likely go Lund email tune BUT I might look around the area for a dyno tune, not sure.  One way or another I'm gonna get that clutch protection removed and then I'll be happy!  I'll wait till I have more bolt on if I go dyno tune.  Probably get a tuner, run a canned/email tune for a bit to brighten up there response and turn down some of the nannies then dyno it after I finish the mods I want.

Matt

JohnC and keiths2kgt like this

Thinking about Lund as well with their flex fuel tune. There's a couple of corn stations around. I'm also on the wait list for the pp2 coming out in a few weeks but it's a 91+ octane tune. I may not install it though but definitely buying it cuz it's so cheap. What's up with Delk's? Are they tuning any more and any fast cars coming out of their shop?

JohnC likes this

Don't know Curtis I don't think...any more info Joey?

Delk does have some videos of some decent numbers from Coyote cars but I havent dealt with them in a while.

Matt

JohnC likes this

On 10/24/2016 at 7:02 PM, keiths2kgt said:

Thinking about Lund as well with their flex fuel tune. There's a couple of corn stations around. I'm also on the wait list for the pp2 coming out in a few weeks but it's a 91+ octane tune. I may not install it though but definitely buying it cuz it's so cheap. What's up with Delk's? Are they tuning any more and any fast cars coming out of their shop?

Just got a STEAL of a deal on an SCT tuner and JLT intake but in order to run the intake, I needed a custom tune for the SCT as the ones preloaded from the previous owner would not work (wont load plus he had different mods anyways).  Just placed my order for a Lund tune and added the Flex fuel option while I was at it.  Ive read that you can run 93 all day long and then toss a little corn on top before going to the track and the tune will adjust to the mixture.  No changing tunes and no worryin about draining the tank to get pure E85 OR worrying about the E content every time you top off.  Im looking forard to the clutch protection being shut off, the rev limit being raised a hair and the more linear feel the gas pedal should have...the extra power will be a fun bonus too.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Do the new mustangs already have the flex fuel sensor?  It's just not turned on in the tune?

With mine, I have to add the sensor.  Then I need larger injectors with any reasonable percentage of e85.

JohnC likes this

There is a dude named Curtis that's supposed to be pretty good here in town.

Slim's Speed Shop

Here did my trans am. Did a great job

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JohnC likes this