higherpowerracing

Music City Raceway Street Night

234 posts in this topic

Should sound a little more refined here soon!  As for my night...it wheel hopped and spun aka sucked.  8.55 was my best run at 87 mph.  Twice I cut decent 60's but then wheel hopped bad before shifting 2nd and had to lift.  Oh well, clutch got smelly trying to ride it out at launch and I called it an evening.  I hear tale that Mike had the opposite of my evening tho! :yes:

Matt

JohnC likes this

Tires and getting the car to cool down helped a lot.  I wish I could get it cooler, I think there's more there.

I went red in the 3rd round of trophy and I left the trans in touring in the first round of quick 8.  In touring mode it starts off in 2nd gear.  I think it went a 9.2 like that.

I made 8 passes tonight.  That's as many in one night than I did in the GN the whole time I owned it.

101116.JPG

66sprint6, Ashley P, Cody and 1 other like this

^ That'll sure insult 99% of all home built hot-rod muscle cars.  Like mine.

How'd baro/temp compare to last trip?  A couple days ago I noticed jets at 35k' sounded crystal clear...it was good air then.

Track was hookin a bit better as well which is likely what led to my issues all night.  I stopped on the way down the hill to try and see what the hell was goin on and I launched beautifully on the street with a nice balance of wheel spin and acceleration and absolutely 0 wheel hop issues.  :3gears:

Duh.  Grippy track, street tires aired down AAALMOOOOOST trying to get a grip and you get hop hop hop hop hop.  Was fun seeing quite a few quick cars grip and go tho thats for sure!!!!

Matt

Thanks for the video!!!  Can hear me a little better AND you can hear the damned wheel hop loud and clear...as well as squeaking 4th at the lights!  One of the red BMWs on drag radials ran a 8.2 and the other ran an 8.1 against me I believe.

OH...and thanks to some help on mustang6g, the power loss issues I was having was from the "clutch protection" kicking in.  It senses clutch slip and cuts the fun...like when your slipping the clutch at launch lol.  I'm told a tune will eliminate this and allow fun times again.

Matt

higherpowerracing likes this

The grey one had Dinan badge and an M badge, I believe it was an M135i coupe.  I had a while to look at its rear end as I tried to chase it down.  I was gaining on him at the big end but nowhere near enough room.  I think he was cutting decent 60's too (dont have the slips here with me).

Matt

Ill be out there again tomorrow night.  Gonna get with Joey and try to see if I can stick a little better.  She was trying to stick last week which is why she hopped like crazy and the clutch was pissy, hopefully some DRs will stick enough to get me down the track without adding more hop tho it may be wishful thinking.  Only one way to find out!

Matt

JohnC likes this

It was hot this weekend!  Gonna be warm tomorrow night as well but thats ok, Ill be focused on my 60s more than anything and then go from there!  8.2's would be a step in the right direction and if I can get any lower Ill be all over what the BlueCoupe did with HCI/3.55 gears and sticky Mickeys on a 1.65 60ft.  If I can run close to the same with this car being bone stock with sticky tires then Ill be beyond happy.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Thanks as always Joey for the videos and the support!  Last night was not my night, I did not set any personal bests, except for 60ft as my clutch protection decided to get after me again.  I never knew what the hell clutch protection even was but Ive been readin up on it and its the DEVIL!!!  Apparently, my slipping the clutch, which your supposed to do to get these heavy, decently powerful IRS bastards off the line, pissed off the clutch protection which would cut the power.  I missed 3rd a couple times as well, probably me and not the clutch itself but never know.  Here are my runs.  Not the night I was hoping for but a night racing is still a night racing and I had a good time.

Run 1 (1st video) 8.46 @ 86.7mph 2.04 60ft

Run 2 (2nd video) 8.56 @ 85.8mph 1.94 60ft  Wheel hopped out of the hole and into 2nd slightly but nothing terrible.  Clutch protection kicked in before the 1-2 shift slowing me down considerably.

Run 3 (3rd video) 9.00 @ 81.23 2.00 60ft.  Eased up on the launch, was looking good and missed 3rd.  You cant see it in the video but I went bonkers inside the car.  So mad at myself LOL

Run 4 8.48 @ 87.27mph 2.10 60ft.  (let car cool down 20 minutes or so) Came out of the hole lazy and clutch protection kicked in BUT it wasnt as drastic and 2nd gear came on harder than it did all night.  Im wondering if maybe it was holding me back a tad after the 1-2 shift on the other runs as well.  Im serious, I havnt felt 2nd pull that hard on the track...maybe ever!

Run 5 11.02 @ 52.94 mph 2.15 60ft.  New PW!!!  Clutch protection went into limp mode for what felt like an eternity.  I said to heck with it and just cruised the rest of the run.  

Tossed the rear PP wheels in the trunk and headed home.  Im gonna look into a tuner to try and calm that clutch protection BS down but more than likely wont be able to swing it in time to run on my Birthday (next tues) which also happens to be the last tues of the season.  More than likely Ill have to wait and hit up the Hill when it opens back up in the spring.

OH, dude with the Ruby Red GT had a catback and an SCT tuner plus he was an auto.  He only TECHNICALLY beat me once because he left early every other time lol.  He was runnin 8.3's @ 88 or so.  He said he was running 8.0's in the spring with the same setup.  There were some FAST cars out there and a couple Fast cars running terrible times (Hellcat lol) so it wasnt only me having a rough time...and even despite the rough times I still did ok.

Matt

JohnC and keiths2kgt like this