Raceall

Fun Times With Raceall

91 posts in this topic

^ Nice.

I once rebuilt a th350 in a TransAm and was ready to test drive it but the guy had not left his keys.  Thankfully my GTO key worked in it.  He was surprized when it visited him at work.

Raceall likes this

It was kind of weird driving it home, last night.  It feels a lot bigger than the 2wd reg. cab long bed Paducah Supply truck, and even a lot bigger than the Escalade.  I'd forgotten how good it rides and drives, in the two months that I've been out of it.

It now has a 6" lift, a snorkel, and rubber duckies painted on the door.

On another note, I was reading that the Active Fuel Management always shuts down the lifters to cylinders 1,4,6, & 7.  With the 07-13 engines, they had issues with lifter failures, oil consumption, etc.  I know that it is the water that killed it, but I find it odd that the cylinders that let loose were 1,7, and either 4 or 6 (I can't really tell which from the picture).  Could be coincidence, but I'm leery.  I've about decided to deactivate the AFM.

It's called Displacement on Demand, DOD, on my dodge.  I turned it off with a tuner.  It gets better fuel mileage without it.  I also did some minor trans tuning and the two combined made it much better to drive.

JohnC likes this

AFM is helping to fund my housing addition.  I've put a cam and rockers on a Honda Odyssey because of a failure of their version, and I put some lifters in a Chebby today with another truck scheduled for later this week.

My advice:  RUN from it.  

Tino and JohnC like this

Other than the mechanical problems it causes, my problems with the AFM, on the 07-13 trucks, was that it hardly ever cut back.  The only time would be if you were going down a steep grade with your foot off of the gas pedal. The newer ones do shut off the cylinders much more quickly and often.  My 05 without AFM got better mileage.

I've never been a fan of it.  It just stands to reason that it's going to cause issues.  Just look at when Cadillac and Buick tried it in the 80s. lol

So, as a note, I've replaced a couple more engines/lifters recently (and there's one on the schedule for tomorrow) due to GM AFM/DoD failures.  And I have another Odyssey that needs both cams and lots of rocker arms.    Gotta love these gas mileage gadgets...they really save money.  :shake:

JohnC likes this

I've been meaning to have mine deactivated, and just haven't gotten around to doing it.  However, now that I don't sleep, I could get to it around 2 a.m. any morning.

Ashley P likes this

1 hour ago, Raceall said:

I've been meaning to have mine deactivated, and just haven't gotten around to doing it.  However, now that I don't sleep, I could get to it around 2 a.m. any morning.

^ You're preachin' to the choir Charles Haddon Spurgen.  :tired:

23 hours ago, Ashley P said:

So, as a note, I've replaced a couple more engines/lifters recently (and there's one on the schedule for tomorrow) due to GM AFM/DoD failures.  And I have another Odyssey that needs both cams and lots of rocker arms.    Gotta love these gas mileage gadgets...they really save money.  :shake:

DOD / AFM is what motivated me to do the cam and all so quick in a car with such low miles.

Also, the rocker arm needle bearingss are prone to failure, so I bought those TSP roller rockers to replace the stock ones.

I've heard of rocker arm bearing failure, but I've not YET seen it.  I recall early LS truck engines having a TSB about finding needle bearings in the oil drain pan.  lol

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

DOD / AFM is what motivated me to do the cam and all so quick in a car with such low miles.

Also, the rocker arm needle bearingss are prone to failure, so I bought those TSP roller rockers to replace the stock ones.

I never had any real issues with my Tahoe other than it used about 2 quarts of oil between changes. it did however lose a ton of power when I hit 100k miles.

one diablo tune later and the power returned and all oil consumption stopped. in short, buy Ford :D 

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

1 hour ago, mstrpth said:

In short, buy Ford to go reliably slow. :D 

Buy Chevy to have an excuse to give the wife for modding the **** out of the car to go reliably fast. :D

Fixed? :shrug: