Raceall

Fun Times With Raceall

91 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago, we had some significant flooding, in the greater Ragland Metropolitan Area, to the tune of over 7.5 inches of rain in two hours.  Long story short, I was on my way to rescue the wife, got into about 6 inches of water that splashed up and got into my air box, and the last rod on the left bank of the engine decided to try to evacuate the premises through the oil pan.  After the dealership said, "No problem.  The warranty will take care of that.", the warranty has decided that I am on my own.  Now, we are hoping that insurance will help out, but so far it looks like I am on my own on this one.  If anybody has a good, low-mileage 5.3 for a 2014 Silverado for free, that would be great!

If it was a 13, it'd be pretty easy because I could go with any LS engine, pretty well.  Being a 14, it has the new LT, and the programming is a lot different.  So, unless the insurance comes through, the Nova will more than likely not get put back together for quite some time.  More than likely, it will be two or three years, at the earliest, before I could think about it again.

Man, sorry to hear this.

I'll keep an eye out for an LT. Until then, check your local salvage yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, man, that's crappy.  Call local salvage yards to get a price and I'll help you put it in, but I won't have time for a month or more.  Need a loaner driver?

What's the difference in the 14 engine that makes a swap to something else a challenge?

Edited by Ashley P

Ouch.  Wish it was an older truck, I know of a 5.3 01 Suburban with a sketchy trans that needs a new home.  Good luck with it, hate to hear it.

Matt

On September 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Ashley P said:

Oh, man, that's crappy.  Call local salvage yards to get a price and I'll help you put it in, but I won't have time for a month or more.  Need a loaner driver?

What's the difference in the 14 engine that makes a swap to something else a challenge?

They came out with the new LT engines, in 2014, for the trucks and vettes. They are significantly different than the LS 5.3, and GM is very tight-fisted with the computer programming, etc., and are greatly limiting the aftermarket. I have found some low mileage junkyard motors, online, but that's about it. I don't think that Jasper has any, from what I can tell. I should find out this week whether insurance will cover it. I'm also going to see if it hurt the block. The rod just took out the upper oil pan. On the one hand, the past few days, it has been a HUGE point of stress. On the other hand, GOD will take care of it, and it will work out one way or another. I have to brag on Mrs. Raceall. She has been very supportive and encouraging through the whole mess.

I may need to borrow the Goat. Seriously, my boss is a really good man, and he takes good care of his people. He's been letting me use the company pickup.

JohnC, Cody and Mike like this

13 minutes ago, Raceall said:

Seriously, my boss is a really good man, and he takes good care of his people. He's been letting me use the company pickup.

I'll agree He's good....but God has a pickup?   Muwahahahahaha!

Insurance should cover it.  But not warranty.  GM doesn't warranty their engines to pump water. ;) :P 

Edited by Ashley P
Mike, Cody and 66sprint6 like this

9 minutes ago, Raceall said:

They came out with the new LT engines, in 2014, for the trucks and vettes. They are significantly different than the LS 5.3, and GM is very tight-fisted with the computer programming, etc.,

I know that Mopar changed some things once in the early/mid 2000s, went to a "New Generation Controller" (NGC ECM) which used a different crank sensor reference, which required a different reluctor on the crank...which required a different engine essentially.  Is your situation similar?

The LT is a direct injection motor.  It has high pressure fuel sensors and completely different fuel injector timing.  About the only swap he could do at this point would be the supercharged LT4 from the 15-16 ZO6 vette.

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The LT is a direct injection motor.  It has high pressure fuel sensors and completely different fuel injector timing.  About the only swap he could do at this point would be the supercharged LT4 from the 15-16 ZO6 vette.

SOLD!  When do you want to get started on getting that done, Mike?

Cody likes this

They aren't as bad as I thought.  The LS9's are almost $20k.

http://www.karlperformanceparts.com/p/LT4-Crate-Engine-62L-650HP-Wet-Sump-Chevrolet-Performance-19332621/46460?gclid=CJfX3ZLd-s4CFdgQgQodsMwBiw

That doesn't include the dry sump tank, heat exchanger, cooler pump or accessories.

I'll be ready as soon as it shows up at your house.

Tino likes this

Talked to the insurance adjuster, yesterday.  He set me up with a rental car and said that the appraiser will be at the dealership, Monday, to talk to them.  I'm still not counting chickens, but he sounded encouraging.

JohnC likes this

23 hours ago, Raceall said:

How about some sponsorship money, John?

We could setup a crowd-funding for you. We all have a lot of friends that I'm sure would donate. :yes: 

Let me know what you want to do. :up: 

25 minutes ago, Raceall said:

No need for that, just yet.  I'm still hopeful that the insurance company will come through.

Just let me know. We'll all pray and keep our fingers crossed for you until then. :up: 

I should get the call from the insurance company, about whether or not they will cover it, today or tomorrow.  Praying for the best.  If not, I have found an engine with 9400 miles, out of a totaled 2015, for $2800 and free shipping.  I believe that is the way I'll go if insurance doesn't cover it.  I have everything to do the swap, and I've got access to a lift, so it might be a fun weekend project.  Plus, I will have a spare set of heads, intake, throttle body, etc.

JohnC and Tino like this