Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

467 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2016 at 9:53 PM, Ashley P said:

Highly doubt as in your head is in the clouds?   Dude, this a hypothetical discussion....do you think I'd hypothetically build a losing Solstice?   What kinda dreamer do you think I am??  lol

BTW, I stated the Solstice would have a small cube/high winding V8 and Jerico.   If that's an aluminum LS V8, in a car that weighs what the shadow of a normal car weighs, how's  your ZR9 gonna hang?

And, I'm driving.  So there.  I win.   :P  (Never road raced, but it's just a series of drag races into and out of turns, right? )

Hahahaha, I am sitting here thinking you thought a Solstice with the stock engine would beat the Z06. Well sure if we are going with one off builds theoretically awkward and would have horrible weight distribution, then sure the Solstice may win?

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:52 PM, Ashley P said:

Coulda been much worse, coulda offered you a Mustang in trade.   (:P to all two of you mustang guys.)

@Mike Do I need to inform them for you? :D 

I would be willing to give you $26k today. $26.5 if you throw in a year of tech support.

ls1adam84 likes this

2 hours ago, mstrpth said:

@Mike Do I need to inform them for you? :D 

I would be willing to give you $26k today. $26.5 if you throw in a year of tech support.

Make sure it comes with the factory GN jackstands....they're hard to find.  Most are worn out and replaced with cheap aftermarket stands.  :D  (Yes, I drove my "black" car yesterday.)

ls1adam84 likes this

On July 17, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Kevin said:

$50k?  I would buy either a new 5.0 or Challenger 392 Hemi and just enjoy it stock.  The rest would be put into getting my Shelby Charger going again. 

Something like this?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I drooled on it... It's sold by now though. 

On 8/8/2016 at 1:41 PM, Mike said:

In the last two days, this thread just became a whole lot less hypothetical.

Turns out everyone likes my motor and car as much as I do.

:(

ls1adam84 likes this

1 hour ago, Cannon Fodder said:

What for are you doing in Rivergate? :shiftyeyes:

I don't even recall what I was doing out that way....

But that car caught my eye. It reminded me of that Ford color in 94/95 called sapphire blue.

saphirebluegt.jpg

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'd love a purple Challenger like that.  We're probably going to get a Journey instead. 

If I'd had the cash, that Challenger would have came home with me. :yes:

This is now a build thread.  It should be short and sweet.

Up front, after all the low ballers, I eventually sold the car minus engine and electronics for $20K.  The engine and other pieces went for about $24k.  My realistic price for the whole car was $45k, so getting $44k wasn't too bad.  I'm still sitting on the clutch, bell, flywheel and ignition system.

I bought the car for a little less than I had planned to spend.  I had been looking for a few weeks and had looked at two cars.  I made offers on two others far away, but both were sold the same day or a day earlier.  This one popped up on ebay on a Sunday at noon.  By Monday night I was sitting in my hotel room in Leesburg, VA with two cashiers checks in hand (one for the payoff and one for the owner).  The options were what I wanted and the price was less than I had planned and a little under blue book.  I didn't even bother negotiating, his price was right.

It's an 09 with 58k miles with black recaro interior.  It's Thunder Grey which can appear blue or green in the right light.  It's completely stock.  The flaws are some poorly repaired rock chips and road rash on all 4 wheels.  The motor runs great, knocks down 18 mpg highway.  As best as I can tell It's had the front rotors replaced with 2 piece brembo's under a now defunct TSB and I think the supercharger or just the snout was replaced not long ago.  The previous owner only had it for 6 months.  The original owner had it for ~50K and always had it serviced at the Cadillac dealer.

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

1.jpg

Cody and Ashley P like this

Here is my plan:

Round 1 -
Weld RXT big and little's with drag radials
C&R heat exchanger
varimax intercooler pump
HP tuners and 6l80etuning.com for the trans tuning.

Airaid intake

160 thermostat, new LS9 plug wires, NGK TR6 iridium plugs.

See how fast I can go on just trans tuning and tires.

Round 2-

LS9 cam, pac 1218 springs, and all the appropriate cam gear and chain parts and a new oil pump while I'm in there. 
ATI blancer with 9.5" ring and relocation bracket
Ported LS7 throttlebody and snout
FIC1000 injectors
flex fuel
dw pumps and modified fuel pump control module
1 7/8" American Racing headers with Catted X-pipe to stock mufflers.
6l80etuning might also tackle the engine tuning here.  If not, I'll take it to James Short.

My goal is a dead reliable car that I can take the family on trips in, but still have fun at the track. I sold the GN because it was no longer fun. I just want to go make laps and go fast with minimal stuff for once. I want it to appear as stock as possible and retain the quiet comfortable ride it has now within reason.

All of these parts are already ordered.  I'm only waiting on the tires, front wheels and intercooler pump.

Some of the parts

IMG_0981_zpsm8iypgi0.jpg

IMG_1069.JPG

Cody and ls1adam84 like this

To date, I've put about 1200 miles on it.  I had the windows tinted with 20% by Chris at Suncool in Hendersonville.  I changed the diff fluid to Royal Purple. These cars need the diff fluid changed every 20K and it looks rough when it comes out.  I beat the dust out of the air filter.  I also replaced a few push pins under the hood that someone in the past mangled.  It's a blast to drive.  Other than tire noise, it's like you would imagine a Cadillac.  Quiet, comfy ride, comfortable interior.  But when you put the trans in sport mode, shocks in sport mode and add more than 30% throttle it gets angry.  It's been surprising to most everyone that has ridden in it. 

Cody, ls1adam84, JohnC and 1 other like this

Latest "Mod".  I payed the state of TN their cut and in return they gave me a small painted piece of aluminum to hang in the trunk lid and they'll be sending me a fancy green piece of paper in a week or so.

This is the "mod" I'm most proud of.  The car may not be new or perfect, but it's completely mine.  I'm not independently wealthy , but I do well and my family is happy.  I was able to do this because I worked hard on the GN and never put anything on credit.  I've never spent this much cash on any one thing in my life, so it's a big deal for me.

mstrpth, 66sprint6, Cody and 3 others like this

I don't know yet.  I want to see how fast I can get it to go on street tires 100% stock first.  Then the round 1 stuff.  I actually may change that a bit.  The guy who does the trans tuning, said he can cover the motor tuning also so I might do a little more with round 1.  Round 2 parts happen over the winter.  I want to minimize the tuning as much as possible.

Cody and 66sprint6 like this